User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which support system for your post privatised school?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charity

    3 8.82%
  • Corporate

    10 29.41%
  • Religious

    7 20.59%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

    14 41.18%
First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 157

  1. #61
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    And where do the corporations find the geniuses and intelligent people before they can afford to go to a good school to prove their brilliance? You're being highly idealistic. The reality is that when education becomes purely commodified and morons like Bush are able to pay their way through school the value of an education is less meaningful. This is why many northern European countries have a far more effective education system than the US. I should also mention the Soviet Union which launched Sputnik and Gagarin into space before the US which made them think "hmm maybe we better put more money into education" and they did.

    Yet Harvard economists are still calling things like pollution, and the billions it amounts to in health costs, 'externalities'. Well, they mine as well be living on mars because the price of a good doesn't reflect the real costs. But this is the poor quality education you're going to get when science and academia is put in the hands of people with MBAs. You're going to get things like "alternative medicine" and endarkenment. In private institutions we see more biased testing. Didn't you hear "red wine is good for your heart". Yes and the people that were surveyed were all comfortably living bourgeoisie that are living longer anyways. Survey a bunch of homeless people or persons with incomes < than 5000 per year and we'll see entirely different results. Incidentally, these bias surveys serve the interest of industry rather than academia. This is the problem when the people with MBAs start running science and academia..you get a program that reflects their interest which usually isn't the best quality education. That said, I think privatization is a terrible and destructive idea that amounts to a poor quality education given the alternatives.
    Thank you for making me read an entirely off topic paragraph about surveys.

    It is in the interest of the business world to have intellectuals working for them. Children who show high intellectual capability would be scouted for, this is a simple fact. It is not idealist, it is realistic to assume that corporations will do what is in their best interest.

    Almost all children will be sent to corporate schools if there are no other options available to them, it would be free and guarantee a job. The chances of a gifted child slipping through the hands of a corporation attempting to recruit the best a brightest from the people it has already signed on are incredibly low, much lower than the chances of a gifted child going nowhere in the current system.
    wails from the crypt.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    It is in the interest of the business world to have intellectuals working for them. Children who show high intellectual capability would be scouted for, this is a simple fact. It is not idealist, it is realistic to assume that corporations will do what is in their best interest..
    What makes it precisely idealistic is that it isn't happening.

  3. #63
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    I do not think that the current price of private education should not be taken as indicative of what the prices would be in a competitive market, and neither would the affordability be the same if people were paying less in taxes for public education. The current system has increased the cost of education three-fold over the last forty years or so, with no corresponding increase in performance. As a commentator on a recent CATO podcast noted, that would be like being forced today to purchase an ordinary car from the 70s for about $40,000.

    In all most every industry over the last 30 years there has been an appreciable increase in quality, decrease in price, or both. The education industry has remained static with regard to quality, but has needed to increase the relative costs three times over to achieve that--an incredible drop in efficiency. You would think that the education of children, arguably one of the most important services in society, would not be trusted to an organisation which has for so many years demonstrated its penchant for waste, incompetence and political agendas.
    How much does the average household pay in taxes for education? $1000? A private school would cost at least 8x more than this. Most people are having a hard time paying the bills they already have.

    Would you be against having public funds attached to the kid and letting the parents choose were to send them? It works for Europe, the place with the best test scores in the world and the most educated populouses.

  4. #64
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    The reality is that when education becomes purely commodified and morons like Bush are able to pay their way through school the value of an education is less meaningful.
    What are you proposing, exactly? That I should have to pay for morons to go through school? I'm all for stupid people getting educated, but only if they choose to do it and it comes from their pocketbook or some other willing contributor. The reason public school sucks is because it's full of idiots who are forced to be there for "free". If that's not a formula for failure I don't know what is.
    I don't wanna!

  5. #65
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Thank you for making me read an entirely off topic paragraph about surveys.

    It is in the interest of the business world to have intellectuals working for them. Children who show high intellectual capability would be scouted for, this is a simple fact. It is not idealist, it is realistic to assume that corporations will do what is in their best interest.

    Almost all children will be sent to corporate schools if there are no other options available to them, it would be free and guarantee a job. The chances of a gifted child slipping through the hands of a corporation attempting to recruit the best a brightest from the people it has already signed on are incredibly low, much lower than the chances of a gifted child going nowhere in the current system.
    I'm not sure corporations would want what is normally considered to be intellectuals...people who question everything and are unbound in their intellectual pursuits. They would want intellectuals whose intellect is bound to figuring out the best way to save a couple pennies.

    And I think we can agree that a corporate education would produce horribly un-well rounded people who only know how to perform the task that their job requires.

    Basically their whole life would be dictated by what the specific corporation wants.

  6. #66
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    How much does the average household pay in taxes for education? $1000? A private school would cost at least 8x more than this. Most people are having a hard time paying the bills they already have.

    Would you be against having public funds attached to the kid and letting the parents choose were to send them? It works for Europe, the place with the best test scores in the world and the most educated populouses.
    The average private school has facilities far and above the average public school.


    In Canada 75.7 billion dollars a year goes into education, 24 percent of the population is under 20, so we pay 10,000 dollars every year for each citizen under 20 years of age.
    wails from the crypt.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    The reason public school sucks is because it's full of idiots who are forced to be there for "free". If that's not a formula for failure I don't know what is.
    But pragmatically speaking, would you rather live in a society where these people remained completely uneducated?

  8. #68
    Senior Member Jasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    So are public school unions.
    so why change then?
    .
    INTP/5w4 sx

  9. #69
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    The average private school has facilities far and above the average public school.


    In Canada 75.7 billion dollars a year goes into education, 24 percent of the population is under 20, so we pay 10,000 dollars every year for each citizen under 20 years of age.
    Is that what the average person pays? Or do the wealthy canadians take the brunt of the cost with progressive taxes?

    How is the education in Canada by the way? I know it's better than in America at least at the k-12 levels.

  10. #70
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasz View Post
    so why change then?
    Because it is better to have a choice in which agenda your child is subjected to.
    wails from the crypt.

Similar Threads

  1. Math Education: An Inconvenient Truth
    By nightning in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
  2. late bloomers @ formal education
    By Grayscale in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 11:17 AM
  3. reforming math education
    By Gabe in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 12:35 AM
  4. MBTI & Home-Education
    By Rowan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 08:17 PM
  5. Formal Education
    By substitute in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO