User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which support system for your post privatised school?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charity

3 8.82%
  • Corporate

10 29.41%
  • Religious

7 20.59%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

14 41.18%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    It's assumed that you'd be sending them to a corporation's school who you respect.
    Well... I guess, then... what I'd really be for would be charter schools... schools which get some public funding but are also funded and, more importantly, administered by organizations of concerned citizens, or major universities, or charities or otherwise. They have far greater leeway than regular public schools in how they run things, but still have to adhere to certain standards as laid out by the government.

In a sense, charter schools represent exactly what I feel would be best... so, for instance, in New York City, one of the most excellent schools in the city is Hunter, which is a charter school run by Hunter college. Kids have to qualify to get in, but they get an excellent education (scores of their kids go to Ivies and other top and second tier colleges afterwards) without the unnecessary burden of a religious institution overseeing their curriculum.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Religious or if I couldn't find a religious school I was comfortable with, Charity.

Edit: And homeschooling does not mean unsocialized. I absolutely believe parents should have the right to educate their children at home and would support their receiving funds for materials and compensation for the educating parent, as long as they had some level of accountability.
    I fully agree with you. I believe in home schooling despite being a public school teacher (I've also taught in private school and during the summer I always work at a private school)

As long as a parent has accountability then I'm all for it. It can be a wonderful experience. I don't think that homeschooled children are unsocialized. In fact they probably (depending on their parents involvement) have better socialization. If a home schooled child is being shown that the world is more than their school/neighborhood/town/state/country and their parents are taking them out into the world to learn more about what their education is preparing them for and why it's important. Well that's more than I can do (having to fill out papers in triplicate to take my class on field trips or use a particular book (I'm not talking about the bible...which I would def use if I home schooled my children) I'd rather have a child socialize with the woman looking at a particular piece of art in a museum, than have him talking about the latest video game with "Bobby" during math...(they are going to do that anyway) I'd rather have my child hear a lecture by some famous author who's speaking at the city library, than watch a movie because the teacher needs to catch up on his/her paperwork (I NEVER do that btw..which is why I'm always behind on my paperwork) Anyway I didn't vote for any of those options because I suppose Im for a modified version of public education.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    I fully agree with you. I believe in home schooling despite being a public school teacher (I've also taught in private school and during the summer I always work at a private school)

As long as a parent has accountability then I'm all for it. It can be a wonderful experience. I don't think that homeschooled children are unsocialized. In fact they probably (depending on their parents involvement) have better socialization. If a home schooled child is being shown that the world is more than their school/neighborhood/town/state/country and their parents are taking them out into the world to learn more about what their education is preparing them for and why it's important. Well that's more than I can do (having to fill out papers in triplicate to take my class on field trips or use a particular book (I'm not talking about the bible...which I would def use if I home schooled my children) I'd rather have a child socialize with the woman looking at a particular piece of art in a museum, than have him talking about the latest video game with "Bobby" during math...(they are going to do that anyway) I'd rather have my child hear a lecture by some famous author who's speaking at the city library, than watch a movie because the teacher needs to catch up on his/her paperwork (I NEVER do that btw..which is why I'm always behind on my paperwork) Anyway I didn't vote for any of those options because I suppose Im for a modified version of public education.
    As long as at the end of all the museum trips and lectures, the kid has a chance to go out and scrape his knees skateboarding or playing tag with his friends, or hanging out in garages or basements playing music... has a chance to interact with kids his own age, homeschooling can be incredible...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    As long as at the end of all the museum trips and lectures, the kid has a chance to go out and scrape his knees skateboarding or playing tag with his friends, or hanging out in garages or basements playing music... has a chance to interact with kids his own age, homeschooling can be incredible...
    absolutely that is all apart of socialization, learning fair play and just good old fashion fun!

I'll even let my kid risk his/her neck snowboarding as I own three and could not imagine chosing a museum over a good time on some snow covered mountain...well...yeah nope boarding would win every time (which is why it's a must I take them to a museum
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I voted public school, because I think it'd be the dumbest decision ever to remove public school. So many things in our country operate with the assumption of a near universal literacy rate. There are simple things like street signs that we take for granted, because almost everyone is literate. Without public education the bottom 20-30% of the population would basically get no education. Also they've looked at the US exports, and they've noticed that most common element in them is that they require a fairly high level of education. As technology increases we'll need more education, and not less. The removal of public education would seriously hurt our economic growth.

Anyway...if it were removed I'd homeschool....
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Frankly, even secular-liberal private schools in the U.S. tend to focus entirely on Judeo-Christian histories to the detriment of exploring other cultures... they'll spend years on the former and a month (of poorly taught classes) on the latter.
    Considering the political climate in which schools are operated these days, it's a freaking miracle if they get past basic grammar and the multiplication tables. A serious survey of history and culture might as well be on the far side of the moon.

Even in a private school setting, I think it's appropriate to leave cross-cultural studies to the secondary stage or later. Kids ought to get a rudimentary understanding of their own culture first before taking on a different one.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Without public education the bottom 20-30% of the population would basically get no education.
    In many districts, that fraction is getting no education now.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Without public funding the burden remains on the parents, corporate and charity schools don't exist and probably never could on a large scale.
    Do you have a basis for this assertion? I happen to think that there would be a lot of them, considering the huge demand for them in the new education market.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Possibly the greatest tool on control and force of stagnation present in today's society is the public education system and the state control over curriculum.

If education were to be privatized would you prefer to enroll your child in a school supported by charity, a corporation or a religious group?

This is of course assuming you lack the resources to have your child attend a purely tuition supported school.
    i don't see a lot of difference between charity/corporate/religious support. they are all special interest groups with agendas.
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'd love to see you take that up with Pure Mercury.
    I doubt that Carebear would enjoy it as much as you would.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"