User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which support system for your post privatised school?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charity

3 8.82%
  • Corporate

10 29.41%
  • Religious

7 20.59%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

14 41.18%
First 1234513 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

In a nutshell, the problem with privatizing education is that idiots like GW are able to go to Havard while some poor genius has to work at Mcdonalds because he or she lacks the resources. It's horribly stupid.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Hmm, Im not religious and do not believe beliefs should be enforced on others but I would actually vote that way. I attended a religious private school when I was a young tacker and as long as it is not extreme or goes against my beliefs I would have no problem sending my kids to one as well. My beliefs were never challenged, I was never forced to participate in anything I was uncomfortable with and the fact that there was a chapel on the premises was the only thing that indicated it was religious.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Why not?

Without the burden of taxation the population would have much more free capitol to invest in charities they feel ideological connections to.
    Hm... in my experience it doesn't work like that. Without taxation the "capitol" of the poor still drains away and now they also have to pay for basic things they previously got from the state (which they probably won't be able to).

Whereas in countries with high taxation people still seem to have free capital to invest in charities (or themselves) because they get free health care, legal help, paid pregnancy leave, unemployment money, education and so on.

(The US is not considered a country with high taxation, and even if it were, it's an exception, since the tax money is squandered or redistributed to the rich, not given back to those who need it the most.)
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    In a nutshell, the problem with privatizing education is that idiots like GW are able to go to Havard while some poor genius has to work at Mcdonalds because he or she lacks the resources. It's horribly stupid.
    Poor geniuses are desired by corporations and all academic institutions.

Their schooling will be subsidized.
    wails from the crypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Murkow
    And I'm pretty sure that even private universities have to answer to the ministry of education (or whatever it's called in the US).
    In the US, school districts have enormous control over curriculum, and only have to meet some requirements from the state's general requirements and those of nochildleftbehind. The specificity of the state's requirements are all probably limited by the state's constitution (I don't know about any state, it's a guess)... it's hugely left to local governments.

Under the options, even though I'm not religious at all, I would prefer to send my children to a religious school.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Religious or if I couldn't find a religious school I was comfortable with, Charity.

Edit: And homeschooling does not mean unsocialized. I absolutely believe parents should have the right to educate their children at home and would support their receiving funds for materials and compensation for the educating parent, as long as they had some level of accountability.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

when i read corporate I read private institutions or businesses whose business it is to run schools... if by corporations you mean McDonald's or Murdoch's company could run schools, then I request a change of vote to "secular charity".
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    when i read corporate I read private institutions or businesses whose business it is to run schools... if by corporations you mean McDonald's or Murdoch's company could run schools, then I request a change of vote to "secular charity".
    It's assumed that you'd be sending them to a corporation's school who you respect.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Education should be privatised, but that would not normally mean what murkrow has said. If every school in the US was run as a charity then the US would have a privatised education system. If every school in the US was a religious school, funded by tuition fees and/or charitable donation from a church, then the US would have a privatised education system. If every school was run as a business, funded by tuition fees and nonreligious charity and intended to make a proft, then the US would have a privatised education system.

In reality, privatised education systems contain a mixture of business, charity and religious schooling (edit: and homeschooling).
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Hm... in my experience it doesn't work like that. Without taxation the "capitol" of the poor still drains away and now they also have to pay for basic things they previously got from the state (which they probably won't be able to).

Whereas in countries with high taxation people still seem to have free capital to invest in charities (or themselves) because they get free health care, legal help, paid pregnancy leave, unemployment money, education and so on.

(The US is not considered a country with high taxation, and even if it were, it's an exception, since the tax money is squandered or redistributed to the rich, not given back to those who need it the most.)
    I'd love to see you take that up with Pure Mercury.
    Go to sleep, iguana.