User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which support system for your post privatised school?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charity

3 8.82%
  • Corporate

10 29.41%
  • Religious

7 20.59%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

14 41.18%
First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Considering the political climate in which schools are operated these days, it's a freaking miracle if they get past basic grammar and the multiplication tables. A serious survey of history and culture might as well be on the far side of the moon.

Even in a private school setting, I think it's appropriate to leave cross-cultural studies to the secondary stage or later. Kids ought to get a rudimentary understanding of their own culture first before taking on a different one.
    No way! Private schools particularly... Why spend two years on European culture when we're sitting in the States and spend a month on Africa, India, China, and pre-Europe Americas? That's absurd! Spending even a year on U.S., a year on European, and then a whole year on world history would be a far better strategy, maybe even giving kids the option of further exploring a major region in their senior years. That seems far more intelligent to me and should cause no real burden on even the dumbest kids, who'd probably be grateful for having a broader understanding of more areas than being drilled with picayune details of all fifty or whatever wars between England and France.

Details should be left to college. Kids in high school should be well-rounded, having a very good grasp of U.S. and, of course, European history... but a year of non-Euro-American history would be very beneficial to our sorely undereducated children... I find that foreigners are far better educated about Americans than vice versa, and this is problematic because the further history progresses, the less centralized all the activity of the world is becoming.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This seems counterintuitive. Do you have some data to support this claim?
    No, not at hand. Here is the podcast I mentioned in a previous post. My comments on this thread echo the same sentiment. If you want to look for more details then I suggest you do it yourself.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    With D.C., I hate to get racial, but don't they have a huge minority population outside the capital? Minority populations tend to under-perform where ever they are.
    This is a common misconception and if you actually did some research, into the past or the present, you'd find plenty of counterexamples. In D.C. in fact, from the late 1800s to the 1950s, there was a black high school which continuously outperformed other white schools in the area on standardized test scores and other measures of education quality. (and don't say that test scores don't predict future success of minority students, since numerous scholarly studies have proven otherwise)
    I don't wanna!

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    No, not at hand. Here is the podcast I mentioned in a previous post. My comments on this thread echo the same sentiment. If you want to look for more details then I suggest you do it yourself.
    If I follow him correctly the speaker in the podcast was not arguing against public funding in education as much as he was government control. I could agree with that. I don't see any problem with the government backing off in the area of public education laws as long as they were still providing most of the funding.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

If I follow him correctly the speaker in the podcast was not arguing against public funding in education as much as he was government control. I could agree with that. I don't see any problem with the government backing off in the area of public education laws as long as they were still providing most of the funding.
    I am a firm believer that the more local level of government involved, the better. The only problem is that you will get idiots trying to teach Intelligent Design in public schools in some areas (like Dover, PA, which is only two hours away from where I live).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    This is a common misconception and if you actually did some research, into the past or the present, you'd find plenty of counterexamples. In D.C. in fact, from the late 1800s to the 1950s, there was a black high school which continuously outperformed other white schools in the area on standardized test scores and other measures of education quality. (and don't say that test scores don't predict future success of minority students, since numerous scholarly studies have proven otherwise)
    Are you sure these cases aren't just exceptions to the rule? I'm glad to hear about a black high school outperforming a white one, but for the most part, I don't think that's the case...I've heard too many news stories about black under performing....some black high schools have 50% drop out rates.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Are you sure these cases aren't just exceptions to the rule? I'm glad to hear about a black high school outperforming a white one, but for the most part, I don't think that's the case...I've heard too many news stories about black under performing....some black high schools have 50% drop out rates.
    It's not just "black" schools in the inner city anymore. Many groups of immigrants are flooding public schools, so they have to deal with both bad facilities and resources AND troublemaking students AND kids who don't speak English at home.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's not just "black" schools in the inner city anymore. Many groups of immigrants are flooding public schools, so they have to deal with both bad facilities and resources AND troublemaking students AND kids who don't speak English at home.
    Yeah, it's minorities in general, but blacks were what was being discussed.

MBTI
    INTJ

You know we fund the government right?
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    You know we fund the government right?
    I think that he meant government funding of the schools, but far less top-down management and setting of curricula, more local control and flexibility, etc.