User Tag List

Default philosophy relates to spirituality how?

Do you think that philosophy and spirituality are compatible and relate to one another in a complimentary fashion or are they ultimately anathema and antithetical to one another? Why?

Western philosophy began with the Socratic Method, which is a way of examining our assumptions.

Whereas Western spirituality makes assumptions. For instance, dear Lark, in your religion, it is assumed that the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, created the Big Bang.

Do I have to point out to you what the Socratic Method would make of this assumption?

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you think that philosophy and spirituality are compatible and relate to one another in a complimentary fashion or are they ultimately anathema and antithetical to one another? Why?
    I think they can be compatible and relate to one another in a complementary fashion, but they don't have to be.

Philosophy can be a by- product of spirituality and spirituality can be a by-product of philosophy.

Religion doesn't always produce spirituality (yet, it can; much depends on individuals) but it does always produce a philosophy.

Oftentimes, it generates a system of legalism.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes Passacaglia, asynartetic liked this post

What does 'spirituality' mean?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think ultimately spirituality is about feeling connected to something greater. I guess philosophy would help describe what that thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I think ultimately spirituality is about feeling connected to something greater. I guess philosophy would help describe what that thing is.
    "Describing what something is" is not Western Philosophy, rather it is semantics or taxonomy.

The uneducated long for 'philosophy' to tell them what is and what to do. And the uneducated fancy a philosopher is a wise old man, gosh, a little bit like God. Western philosophy is far more interesting and deeper. Western philosophy is an exciting intellectual endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What does 'spirituality' mean?
    It is the weasel word for religion.

The word religion is on the nose, so the public relations people have given it a make-over and called it spirituality. Don't you feel uplifted just saying the word?

When they ask for my star sign in a bar, I know they are trying to pick me up, and I tell them I am a 'spiritual' person, to let them know they have made a great catch.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    "Describing what something is" is not Western Philosophy, rather it is semantics or taxonomy.

The uneducated long for 'philosophy' to tell them what is and what to do. And the uneducated fancy a philosopher is a wise old man, gosh, a little bit like God. Western philosophy is far more interesting and deeper. Western philosophy is an exciting intellectual endeavour.
    I said help, I was being purposefully careful when I used that word, thank you. Also, I am connecting two different subjects as suggested by the O.P. I think it's the most direct connection.

FYI, Spirituality in its essence is a state of existence and requires no belief in the supernatural, though it may require a hope in a greater cause.