• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

philosophy relates to spirituality how?

Lark

Do you think that philosophy and spirituality are compatible and relate to one another in a complimentary fashion or are they ultimately anathema and antithetical to one another? Why?

Mole

Permabanned
Western philosophy began with the Socratic Method, which is a way of examining our assumptions.

Whereas Western spirituality makes assumptions. For instance, dear Lark, in your religion, it is assumed that the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, created the Big Bang.

Do I have to point out to you what the Socratic Method would make of this assumption?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Do you think that philosophy and spirituality are compatible and relate to one another in a complimentary fashion or are they ultimately anathema and antithetical to one another? Why?

I think they can be compatible and relate to one another in a complementary fashion, but they don't have to be.

Philosophy can be a by- product of spirituality and spirituality can be a by-product of philosophy.

Religion doesn't always produce spirituality (yet, it can; much depends on individuals) but it does always produce a philosophy.

Oftentimes, it generates a system of legalism.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think ultimately spirituality is about feeling connected to something greater. I guess philosophy would help describe what that thing is.

Mole

Permabanned
I think ultimately spirituality is about feeling connected to something greater. I guess philosophy would help describe what that thing is.

"Describing what something is" is not Western Philosophy, rather it is semantics or taxonomy.

The uneducated long for 'philosophy' to tell them what is and what to do. And the uneducated fancy a philosopher is a wise old man, gosh, a little bit like God. Western philosophy is far more interesting and deeper. Western philosophy is an exciting intellectual endeavour.

Mole

Permabanned
What does 'spirituality' mean?

It is the weasel word for religion.

The word religion is on the nose, so the public relations people have given it a make-over and called it spirituality. Don't you feel uplifted just saying the word?

When they ask for my star sign in a bar, I know they are trying to pick me up, and I tell them I am a 'spiritual' person, to let them know they have made a great catch.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Describing what something is" is not Western Philosophy, rather it is semantics or taxonomy.

The uneducated long for 'philosophy' to tell them what is and what to do. And the uneducated fancy a philosopher is a wise old man, gosh, a little bit like God. Western philosophy is far more interesting and deeper. Western philosophy is an exciting intellectual endeavour.

I said help, I was being purposefully careful when I used that word, thank you. Also, I am connecting two different subjects as suggested by the O.P. I think it's the most direct connection.

FYI, Spirituality in its essence is a state of existence and requires no belief in the supernatural, though it may require a hope in a greater cause.