User Tag List

Default Spiritual disciplines - mental disciplines

I have a question of the back of some things I've been reading lately which are kind of homages to religion from a non-believers point of view, these tend to be something along the lines of an expansion upon Voltaire's point, which I remember it rightly went something like "If God did not exist it would have been necessary to invent him".

Anyway, the question is if the benefits of what are traditionally thought of as spiritual or quasi spiritual disciplines are largely mental, ie meditation, could they or should they be reframed as mental disciplines and then popularised anew?

In the history of religious or spiritual devotion there are some truly miraculous feats of mental and physical prowess, I'm not talking about pre-modern records either, attributed by those exhibiting or possessing them to a range of doctrines and disciplines, some or less amenable to reinterpretation or divorce from their original context but the miraculous feats are all things which I would suspect anyone benefit from being able to pull of, like regulating your body temperature by the power of thought alone etc.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I have a question of the back of some things I've been reading lately which are kind of homages to religion from a non-believers point of view, these tend to be something along the lines of an expansion upon Voltaire's point, which I remember it rightly went something like "If God did not exist it would have been necessary to invent him".
    You're a wealth of knowledge like an encyclopedia. I seem to recall you're Catholic. This post in particular is wonderful because I know without a shadow of a doubt you can't deny the divinity of the Holy Spirit. Confess... with your mouth and believe in your heart. <3

Anyway, the question is if the benefits of what are traditionally thought of as spiritual or quasi spiritual disciplines are largely mental, ie meditation, could they or should they be reframed as mental disciplines and then popularised anew?
    No, no, no because there's a power we can't see except in its effects; a power that can also be physically felt; the power of the Holy Spirit. I know you understand.

In the history of religious or spiritual devotion there are some truly miraculous feats of mental and physical prowess, I'm not talking about pre-modern records either, attributed by those exhibiting or possessing them to a range of doctrines and disciplines, some or less amenable to reinterpretation or divorce from their original context but the miraculous feats are all things which I would suspect anyone benefit from being able to pull of, like regulating your body temperature by the power of thought alone etc.

What do you think?
    Mental and physical prowess are no comparison to God's miracles. There's nothing left to say.

Tell people about Jesus.

God's grace and peace to you.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

What do you think?

I had some miracles. But praying for some more for someone in my fam.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post