User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    OK, explain to me how a woman who has sex (Isis in this case) is considered a virgin?
    Was horus born because of this? Otherwise it would be masturbation if her husband hasn't been resurrected before.

The Bible mentions nothing of Dec. 25th being Christ's birthday
    But we still celebrate it because of the Catholics. That counts.

even Egyptian mythology most likely places Horus' birthday somewhere in August.
    Then there's no reason for debate here or even the mentioning of a possible similarity. If you can give me a reputable source I'll believe you.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

1. Horus was not born of a virgin.
    Neither was Jesus, actually. In the 'original' version, Maria, in accordance with the Jewish legends of the messiah, is characterized as a 'young woman'. It is a translation error and subsequently became tradition to imagine her as a virgin. Much like the wise men from the orient became three kings, a young woman became a virgin because people preferred it that way.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

As I understand it, Christianity/Catholics through the ages, absorbed other religions, to make it "easier" to adopt the religion. Christian practises of today is the result of many religions absorbed. There I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Neither was Jesus, actually. In the 'original' version, Maria, in accordance with the Jewish legends of the messiah, is characterized as a 'young woman'. It is a translation error and subsequently became tradition to imagine her as a virgin. Much like the wise men from the orient became three kings, a young woman became a virgin because people preferred it that way.
    Lol. What the text says has no bearing on whether or not you think Christ was born of a virgin let alone whether he was born at all.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Lol. What the text says has no bearing on whether or not you think Christ was born of a virgin let alone whether he was born at all.
    I am talking about the literary character.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Exactly. The latest edition of one of the mainline (US at least) Bible translations corrects this, and was one of the most controversial changes in that edition. Yes, early Christians wanted to co-opt for Jesus the mythos of earlier deities which included elements like virgin birth, descent into the underworld, and "resurrection"/return to the living. It wasn't enough to promote Jesus based on the example of his lifetime.

By "you" do you mean Nicodemus specifically, or the generalized reader of the Bible? Some Christians are extremely literal in their interpretation, which can be amusing when they don't understand the limits or implications of the translation process.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Was horus born because of this? Otherwise it would be masturbation if her husband hasn't been resurrected before.

But we still celebrate it because of the Catholics. That counts.

Then there's no reason for debate here or even the mentioning of a possible similarity. If you can give me a reputable source I'll believe you.
    1. Yes she resurrected her husband
    2. The Catholic church didn't start until about 300 AD. Besides we're debating the origin story of both characters and in the original story Christ's birth day is not mentioned anywhere.
    3. Five Days Out of Time

Zeitgeist, the movie Debunked - Part One - Zeitgeist Exposed - Skeptic Project
    “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” -Walt Disney

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE

That's a whole other topic of discussion. Right now though it's about debunking the whole Jesus' story came from Horus because neither stories, regardless of one's beliefs, are anything remotely similar. If one would do a little research and actually read the original Horus myth they would quickly learn this whole Zeitgeist rubbish is just that, rubbish.
    “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” -Walt Disney

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I stopped watching when I realized this was mostly bullshit.
    Post something from a reputable Egyptologist and I might pay attention.
    Yeah, its derivative from theosophy, which is popular with a lot of the neo-anti-semitic illumati conspiracy theorists online, David Icke is really into it.

As a life long Christian I'm about as concerned or interested in this sort of thing as scientologists or chariots of the gods or any similar idea.

Those things have great currency with the publishers of bargain books style pulp non-fiction or second hand dealers in ideas like Icke but why they'd be the material of ephipanies or crisis of faith in any one is sort of beyond me.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    As I understand it, Christianity/Catholics through the ages, absorbed other religions, to make it "easier" to adopt the religion. Christian practises of today is the result of many religions absorbed. There I said it.
    There's no progressive revelation or theological or religious amalgamation in Christianity, definitely not in Roman Catholicism, what you're probably talking about is how being a universal creed in different cultural contexts the faith was able to approximate something akin to multiculturalism, its not the same thing as you are suggesting however.

I read a lot of this sort of thing, its usually accompanied with a sort of excited idea that it validates atheism or at the very least invalidates Christianity or Catholcism or whatever, I read one of Dawkin's books once and it was a lot like that, there are literally, generations of scholarism which stacks up favourably against things like this, which once you've done the reading looks like exactly what it is, the confirmation bias of people who dont do much research anyway.
    Likes chubber liked this post