User Tag List

123 Last

Default What if someone doesn't want wealth, fame, or even happiness?

How would you react to people who don't desire wealth, fame, or happiness*?

Would you believe they were kidding themselves? Would you force them to admit they do desire wealth, fame, and happiness?

If these people said they have passing desires for these things, but the desires subside quickly, would you feel alienated? Would you alienate them?

*By happiness, I mean being in a good mood.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

They might have a stronger desire for realism, for acceptance of what reality is most likely to be. If honesty is the highest value, then these other desires for extravagance could easily be seen as nonsense.

I can somewhat relate to the idea, except that I do strongly desire a simple, peaceful happiness. I'm not working towards fame or wealth as much as other people similar to me would be, and I see those as pragmatic states that can be used to initiate more good in the world. I have zero desire for a fancy house or car, and I don't want people to give me preferential treatment because of external trappings. I also don't want want a giddy, indulgent happiness, but a sense of meaning and peace.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Would you believe they were kidding themselves? Would you force them to admit they do desire wealth, fame, and happiness?

If these people said they have passing desires for these things, but the desires subside quickly, would you feel alienated? Would you alienate them?

Huh? Why would I care? Why would I feel alienated? Force them to admit they really want these things? That's ridiculous. Even if they were lying, why would I care, it has no impact on me whatsoever. They're free to feel any way they want. I can say that I desire happiness, probably wealth but fame? Hell no. I don't care if you believe that or not.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I don't want wealth or fame but i do want happiness but i don't think happiness comes from wealth or fame i'd actually argue the opposite. my desire is to afford a one bed room place, internet, be able to live debt free, a car that runs, and a dog or a cat. now perhaps that might require wealth these days, but i think comfortably middle class is a good goal for me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Huh? Why would I care? Why would I feel alienated? Force them to admit they really want these things? That's ridiculous. Even if they were lying, why would I care, it has no impact on me whatsoever. They're free to feel any way they want.
    That, ^ basically. Not everyone cares for wealth or fame. I don't. I know many people who don't. Happiness, or "good mood," on the other hand, can have a variety of definitions. I'd wonder how this particular person defined happiness. If it were interchangeable with fulfillment, or a sense of inner peace. It seems so basic that we all want those things in some form or another. Some semblance of a sustainable inner peace helps with managing the stressors of daily life, which can take a toll on one's mental and physical health. If we'd broken things down in a conversation, and concluded he/she had little to no regard for his/her own health- I would be concerned on a core human level - try to make sure there wasn't something out of the ordinary going on in his/her life that drove this concept home. If nothing seemed amiss- I'd just let 'em be. If something did seem off, I'd try to be supportive- if the support were wanted. If not, I'd let 'em be. In the end it's their life, not mine. Nothing would change between us, socially. I wouldn't judge them harshly for how they wish to live. A life choice (or lack of desire) like that is no affront to my own existence.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

I don't think it's possible not to want happiness, though I think we all prefer different flavors of experience. An author may be most inspired by sadness, but find the most happiness in inspiration.

Maybe contentedness is a better word.

I couldn't care less if someone doesn't want fame and fortune (people who pathologically seek fame and fortune tend to be self-absorbed assholes in my experience...).

Happiness though? I call BS.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Many people do not desire wealth or fame; I have no ideal how happiness would fit into this. Having or managing something is not the same as desiring it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I guess I would understand where they were coming from??

I think the world is messed up in the expectation that everybody should want the same things.

As far as happiness is concerned, it really depends on the definition. I want to be healthy, and well adjusted, this doesn't mean that I want to be smiling all the time. I think in the world we live in, in the reality of life, being happy all the time is a type of insanity and denial, and even in a perfect world it's not a reasonable thing to expect in the continual growth of a well adjusted human being.
    Likes five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Wealth and fame represent a surplus of two things we do need to survive: shelter and interpersonal connection. With that root, I would expect an instinctive draw in anybody toward getting more of those, especially if they fear loss of them or set their personal definition of survival really high. Our values don't have to go the same way as our instincts, though. If someone didn't want any greater wealth or renown than they needed, I would be pleased to have found someone I can relate to on that.

About happiness, now that would be an interesting conversation. There are many possible definitions of happiness, and though I view some as healthy, there are others I reject, too. I'd want to talk with them about how each of us defines it, whether our culture has a generally accepted definition and what use that is, and the story or logic behind how they came to the conclusion of rejecting their definition. I'd want to get to know them better.

Yeah, this is basically the same as the post above mine.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post