User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    You're right, they were.

"If morality is false"... can you expand on that? Morality arises from the common drive for security, and the understanding that every action has consequences. Not harming others is perfectly logical, but unfortunately religion was a necessary vessel for these ideas.
    What I mean is what I said in the OP, that ultimately it doesn't make a difference. Security is no better than not having security, happiness is no better than suffering. Thinking some states are better than others is just an illusion we have evolved to believe in. It's just our brain giving us messages. Goodness then is just whatever we think it is but has no ultimate reality, so all of existence is equally neutral.
    Likes Opal liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    What I mean is what I said in the OP, that ultimately it doesn't make a difference. Security is no better than not having security, happiness is no better than suffering. Thinking some states are better than others is just an illusion we have evolved to believe in. It's just our brain giving us messages. Goodness then is just whatever we think it is but has no ultimate reality, so all of existence is equally neutral.
    Ah... I agree, reality is unaffected by what does and does not serve our wills.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    Ah... I agree, reality is unaffected by what does and does not serve our wills.
    Well I disagree :P due to the wager I placed earlier. There COULD be an ultimate good, like maybe happiness really is just a better thing than unhappiness. And given that it could be the case, we would be foolish not to believe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    What is Good, What is Free, What is Will, What is God, What is Truth, What is Is?
    My philosophical approach is rather pragmatic. When you get right down to it, goodness is entirely subjective, free will (and chance, btw) are illusions, and God is no more likely than the flying spaghetti monster.

But I was raised to equate goodness with happiness, and that's a better definition than any others I've come across. Sometimes it gets messy; murdering people makes extreme antisocial psychopaths happy, which forces us to make further value judgments. But it's a very intuitive concept, and I'm proud to espouse it.

Free will and chance are illusions that result from us being unable to quantify or even recognize all of the factors that contribute to any given decision or event. But they're convenient illusions all the same; at least until such a moment when humanity understands everything in the wide universe, if that ever happens.

I personally have no use for God, but for others religion can impart happiness, so my usual attitude is whatevs. Except when I hear a news story about some fundy assholes hating on innocent people, or blowing people up. Then my attitude swings toward 'militant atheist' for a few days.

On a more positive note, truth is real; although we can and do make mistakes in verifying certain truths, and many truths are simply beyond our current technological means to understand.

Fun topic!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    My philosophical approach is rather pragmatic. When you get right down to it, goodness is entirely subjective, free will (and chance, btw) are illusions, and God is no more likely than the flying spaghetti monster.

But I was raised to equate goodness with happiness, and that's a better definition than any others I've come across. Sometimes it gets messy; murdering people makes extreme antisocial psychopaths happy, which forces us to make further value judgments. But it's a very intuitive concept, and I'm proud to espouse it.

Free will and chance are illusions that result from us being unable to quantify or even recognize all of the factors that contribute to any given decision or event. But they're convenient illusions all the same; at least until such a moment when humanity understands everything in the wide universe, if that ever happens.

I personally have no use for God, but for others religion can impart happiness, so my usual attitude is whatevs. Except when I hear a news story about some fundy assholes hating on innocent people, or blowing people up. Then my attitude swings toward 'militant atheist' for a few days.

On a more positive note, truth is real; although we can and do make mistakes in verifying certain truths, and many truths are simply beyond our current technological means to understand.

Fun topic!
    I'm also quite pragmatic, or I like to think so.

To me, whether we believe in those things depends on whether that belief is useful. For example, if research shows that belief in God or free will leads people to act in a better way, then I say, believe in them! There is no truth but what works, and when it stops working it becomes less true.

I think Truth is real, but our understanding of what the truth is, is highly limited.
    And I think true freedom is real, and God is real, and good is real, but again, our understanding of what these things are is highly limited.

I think God is the one who knows what truth is, what freedom is, what good is, and we only know these things implicitly, in the sense that we necessarily act based on their principles, by the law of creation.

So, we want to apply our fundamental nature to our physical counterpart. We want to develop knowledge of who we are. And this knowledge is shaped by who we are, so becomes increasingly more like who we are. The principles which apply to the soul, also apply to the body in other words, and their communication is through the spirit.

As above, so below.