User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Our touch-stone is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And those who accept and practise the declaration are good.

MBTI
    ENTP

dr

"Good" and "bad" are culturally defined. In my eyes, we can make the most of this life experience by maximizing happiness for all beings--if an action, object or idea helps this goal, it is "good"; if it hurts this goal, it is "bad". Without priorities and primary drives, "good" and "bad" mean nothing.

Also, "will" is an empowering illusion, and "god" is the unseen force responsible for everything we can't explain.

"Truth" is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    dr

"Good" and "bad" are culturally defined. In my eyes, we can make the most of this life experience by maximizing happiness for all beings--if an action, object or idea helps this goal, it is "good"; if it hurts this goal, it is "bad". Without priorities and primary drives, "good" and "bad" mean nothing.

Also, "will" is an empowering illusion, and "god" is the unseen force responsible for everything we can't explain.

"Truth" is difficult.
    Yes, there are trade-offs. If we maximise happiness for some, we minimise happiness for others. And who we maximise for, and who we minimise for, is determined by politics.

And politics is as we know is: who does what to who.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    Well said. Looks like your free will is working just fine.
    But but... it wasn't my free will that did that! It was just a string of brain functions all coming together to form that conclusion! Each of them was predetermined in advance!

Science doesn't really know if the human mind works on deterministic principles (I don't mean, they don't know if it works that way to a degree - of course it does). So, why assume no free will without evidence? That's an extrapolation of the data. Neither should we assume there is free will. We should accept the reality of what we know, rather than speculating about the options, because we just don't know. It is better to be free from those kind of assumptions, but only accept them in matter of degree.

It is good to take note of the various psychological forces which cause you to act in a particular way. This imposes this force, that another. The end result is this thought, feeling and action. There are variables in the equation which are unknown.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, there are trade-offs. If we maximise happiness for some, we minimise happiness for others. And who we maximise for, and who we minimise for, is determined by politics.

Are power and happiness synonymous?

I wonder if happiness is always balanced by equal amounts of unhappiness. Like kinetic and potential energy, there is happiness potential, then the potential is unleashed into working happiness, and then there is less potential for happiness.

I wonder if everything is in balance forever and always. And there is no escaping this balance. And it's fine the way it is.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

I would argue we have enough resources to provide a platform for happiness for every living being, but our wealth is grossly misallocated.

Maybe we can reform our societies' structural flaws while there are still enough living beings for wealth distribution to be an issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    Maybe we can reform our societies' structural flaws while there are still enough living beings for wealth distribution to be an issue...
    We need reforms in some places and revolutions in others. But reforms are slow and revolutions unpredictable. I propose we give up and embrace nuclear holocaust.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    We need reforms in some places and revolutions in others. But reforms are slow and revolutions unpredictable. I propose we give up and embrace nuclear holocaust.
    Your proposal has more or less been my approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    But but... it wasn't my free will that did that! It was just a string of brain functions all coming together to form that conclusion! Each of them was predetermined in advance!
    Uh huh, right. ;)

MBTI
    ENTP

You're right, they were.

I'm still convinced. If morality is false, it doesn't matter what we believe. If it is true, we should believe it. Hence I will try as much as I can to lead a moral life.
    "If morality is false"... can you expand on that? Morality arises from the common drive for security, and the understanding that every action has consequences. Not harming others is perfectly logical, but unfortunately religion was a necessary vessel for these ideas.