User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default Contexts and Metadata

    Most of us come here because we want a shared context. On the othe hand I came here because I was invited by Geoff, knowing nothing of the context of Typology Central which is mbti.

    Most of us come here because we are illiterate in the language of contexts. So naturally we feel uncomfortable if we start talking in contexts. We feel affronted.

    When someone speaks in contexts we say they are trolling. We feel it is a deliberate attack on our cherished beliefs. And of course 3,000 years ago the good people of Athens felt Socrates was deliberately attacking their cherished beliefs. So they gave Socrates a choice, shutup or die.

    We can also call contexts, metadata. And the USA collects and saves metadata on all foreigners in the world. And hey, that's me. And foreigners make up 96% of the world.

    So naturally the USA does not want foreigners to learn the language of contexts and metadata. Anymore than Typology Central wants us to learn the language of contexts.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Most of us come here because we want a shared context. On the othe hand I came here because I was invited by Geoff, knowing nothing of the context of Typology Central which is mbti.

    Most of us come here because we are illiterate in the language of contexts. So naturally we feel uncomfortable if we start talking in contexts. We feel affronted.

    When someone speaks in contexts we say they are trolling. We feel it is a deliberate attack on our cherished beliefs. And of course 3,000 years ago the good people of Athens felt Socrates was deliberately attacking their cherished beliefs. So they gave Socrates a choice, shutup or die.

    We can also call contexts, metadata. And the USA collects and saves metadata on all foreigners in the world. And hey, that's me. And foreigners make up 96% of the world.

    So naturally the USA does not want foreigners to learn the language of contexts and metadata. Anymore than Typology Central wants us to learn the language of contexts.
    Your martyr complex is rearing its ugly head again, Molio.

    ETA: I say that with love, of course.
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Who's Geoff?

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Who's Geoff?
    Before we make any decision the first thing to do is to find someone to blame. So we can blame Geoff. And don't worry he is unlikely to strike back as he is probably out and about in nature in hiking boots and an anorak taking quite delicious pictures.

    But yes, Geoff invited me here and said Central is a tolerant and well run place. And it is.

    I mean people get married to have someone to blame, but I came here with someone ready made to blame.

    Who can blame me?

  5. #5
    Senior Member BlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Most of us come here because we want a shared context. On the othe hand I came here because I was invited by Geoff, knowing nothing of the context of Typology Central which is mbti.
    Sure. But you know now, right? So you must like the context here, or at least not be overly affronted by it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Most of us come here because we are illiterate in the language of contexts. So naturally we feel uncomfortable if we start talking in contexts. We feel affronted.
    That's a broad generalization. If you mean not having a common terminology, then I disagree. If you mean being uncertain about systematizing people and social settings, then probably. But why would we be uncomfortable speaking about it if that's why we came here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    When someone speaks in contexts we say they are trolling. We feel it is a deliberate attack on our cherished beliefs. And of course 3,000 years ago the good people of Athens felt Socrates was deliberately attacking their cherished beliefs. So they gave Socrates a choice, shutup or die.
    out of context is trolling, right? Or in the other post did you mean that if someone speaks in other contexts than MBTI that they were received badly, and thus in this paragraph that they are trolling? Not getting it for sure.

    The bit on Socrates is true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We can also call contexts, metadata. And the USA collects and saves metadata on all foreigners in the world. And hey, that's me. And foreigners make up 96% of the world.
    Metadata is just the time and number or email address of someone you contacted. I fail to see the connection with typology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So naturally the USA does not want foreigners to learn the language of contexts and metadata. Anymore than Typology Central wants us to learn the language of contexts.
    Not seeing it.

    My computer shuts down for the night in five minutes, so if I don't reply if you deign to reply, that's why.

  6. #6
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    And the USA collects and saves metadata on all foreigners in the world. And hey, that's me. [...]

    So naturally the USA does not want foreigners to learn the language of contexts and metadata. Anymore than Typology Central wants us to learn the language of contexts.
    I don't want to be disrespectful, but you have voiced an opinion here about what the States thinks without having seen and perhaps without really having understood the world through American eyes. The US has historically been a bit pig-headed and isolationist, but it is less xenophobic than a number of other countries. Having experienced growing up and living here, you might be more inclined to understand why saying "the USA does not want ____" doesn't really make much sense, because the USA is such a large and diverse place - many may agree, but many may not. Even the government itself is unlikely to have a unanimous consensus. Part of our history and culture is being fragmented and individualistic, for better and worse.

    Much the same, you are saying Typology Central as if it is comprised of a single entity. Yet it too is a melting pot of individuals with a wide array of opinions, with members constantly coming and going. The site is a "living" entity in constant flux. I do not think it is really fair to say that Typology Central does not want us to learn the language of contexts - for one, who is Typology Central? For two, who at Typology Central have you asked this question of?

    Fortunately, we are all born into layer upon layer of context. We are born into contexts based on gender, on culture, on family structure, on language, on genetics, on environment, on SES, on interests, on skills. Even if whatever entity Typology Central is decided to try to take away contextual understanding from individuals, it would not be possible, because it is so ingrained into us. There is only connecting and understanding and the beauty of fusing and melding and analyzing and contrasting contexts.

    So we come here from many contexts seeking many different things. We do not have to like one another's views on our contexts and we are welcome to voice dissent about any context. But everyone has to respect each others' ability to communicate without being repeatedly drawn away. If we are constantly drawn back into one context, we will never be able to learn the full language of contexts, will we? One person's reliance on a context does not mean that anyone else is trapped by it. Perhaps it is not one that is appealing to you. But we must all be free to try things out and see what works for us.

  7. #7
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I don't want to be disrespectful, but you have voiced an opinion here about what the States thinks without having seen and perhaps without really having understood the world through American eyes. The US has historically been a bit pig-headed and isolationist, but it is less xenophobic than a number of other countries. Having experienced growing up and living here, you might be more inclined to understand why saying "the USA does not want ____" doesn't really make much sense, because the USA is such a large and diverse place - many may agree, but many may not. Even the government itself is unlikely to have a unanimous consensus. Part of our history and culture is being fragmented and individualistic, for better and worse.

    Much the same, you are saying Typology Central as if it is comprised of a single entity. Yet it too is a melting pot of individuals with a wide array of opinions, with members constantly coming and going. The site is a "living" entity in constant flux. I do not think it is really fair to say that Typology Central does not want us to learn the language of contexts - for one, who is Typology Central? For two, who at Typology Central have you asked this question of?

    Fortunately, we are all born into layer upon layer of context. We are born into contexts based on gender, on culture, on family structure, on language, on genetics, on environment, on SES, on interests, on skills. Even if whatever entity Typology Central is decided to try to take away contextual understanding from individuals, it would not be possible, because it is so ingrained into us. There is only connecting and understanding and the beauty of fusing and melding and analyzing and contrasting contexts.

    So we come here from many contexts seeking many different things. We do not have to like one another's views on our contexts and we are welcome to voice dissent about any context. But everyone has to respect each others' ability to communicate without being repeatedly drawn away. If we are constantly drawn back into one context, we will never be able to learn the full language of contexts, will we? One person's reliance on a context does not mean that anyone else is trapped by it. Perhaps it is not one that is appealing to you. But we must all be free to try things out and see what works for us.
    Just one metadata centre in Utah alone stores metadata in exabytes*. This means that metadata is the context in which literate individuals find ourselves.

    The USA is severely contrained in the amount of metadata it can gather from US citizens, but the USA is free to gather all the metadata from foreigners. So US citizens are protected but the rest of us are not.

    This makes George Orwell and his book, "1984", look like optimists.

    There is no way to stop metadata.

    Our only choice is to learn the language of contexts, in this case, metadata, and engage.

    It is painfully obvious that almost everyone on Typology Central are protected literate individuals and so instinctively resist the language of contexts.

    * It is commonly said that 5 exabytes could store all the words spoken by us over 100,000 years. I don't know how accurate this is but 1 exabyte is a very, very large number, and metadata is growing exponentially every day. And even today it is cheaper to store metadata than it is to delete it.

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It is painfully obvious that almost everyone on Typology Central are protected literate individuals and so instinctively resist the language of contexts.
    Because they make wide overwhelming generalizations about other people mindsets with disregard to the particular contexts and individual circumstances while dodging critical thinking by presenting those as painfully obvious observations?

  9. #9
    literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Omg wtf are you on about?


    Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

    Likes Hard liked this post

  10. #10
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default Contexts, Generalisations, Metadata, and Moralism

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Because they make wide overwhelming generalizations about other people mindsets with disregard to the particular contexts and individual circumstances while dodging critical thinking by presenting those as painfully obvious observations?
    Metadata are generalisations of texts, so metadata are contexts. And contexts are in fact generalisations.

    Literate individuals, innocent of a knowledge of metadata, use the word generalisation pejoratively to show their moral credentials.

    So to use the word generalisation today is moralism rather than critical thinking.

    Critical thinking recognises the reality that the literate individual is now the content of metadata.

    This is a blow to the ego of the literate individual, and our only psychological defence is moralism.

    And moralism at least makes us feel better and makes our opponent look bad.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Context and Content
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 06:59 PM
  3. Social contexts and mental health/illness
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO