User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does philosphy often matter to real world actions?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, often

11 78.57%
  • Usually not

3 21.43%
First 234

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I admit you are very difficult to refute.
    YES! Logic does that for a person.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    Is philosophy relevant to actions?

I love a nice long philosophical thread as much as the next guy.

However, I've often wondered about the interaction between philosophical ideas and real world actions.

For a while I took the position that there is no interaction. Needless to say, I got refuted. Clearly there can be interaction, and sometimes very important real world consequences occur as a result of philosophy.

However, how common is this in the judgment of this forum's readers? I tend to think it is minimal, but I'm basing that off of my personal experience. It would be useful to know what others think.
    I answer on the basis of my own personal experience too, philosophy as I understand it is vital to my own decision making and my own life.

Religion and philosophy are the mainstays of my beliefs, I treat a lot of the other important theories which furnish me with knowledge and skills as emanations or reflections in one way or another of religion and philosophy in some shape or guise.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I think this might be circular logic, but I was thinking that a philosophy, no matter how grand or mundane, informs the actions and if it didn't, then it wasn't a philosophy to that person in the first place.
    This is a little like Erich Fromm's suggestion that everyone possessed a religion, some were conscious of it and others not, religion as Fromm understood it was a frame of reference or orientation towards all life and an object of devotion, not necessarily a deity, and that in order to know anyone or assist anyone in therapy all that was necessary was to discover their "private religion".

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    YES! Logic does that for a person.
    Its not logic, its not difficult to refute.

Its just Schaupenour's skilful argumentation, it is a parlour game, it does not serve truth, it only serves those engaging in debate as a contest or sport.

It is the same as the Sophists and Sophistry of Socrates and Plato's day which they challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I answer on the basis of my own personal experience too, philosophy as I understand it is vital to my own decision making and my own life.

Religion and philosophy are the mainstays of my beliefs, I treat a lot of the other important theories which furnish me with knowledge and skills as emanations or reflections in one way or another of religion and philosophy in some shape or guise.
    I experience philosophy as an escape from anything that has gone before. I experience philosophy as a liberation. Philosophy enables me to breathe.

I have found that mysticism in religion, as found in the medieval book, The Cloud of Unknowing, by Anonymous, to be similar to the liberation found in philosophy.

But the first problem we encounter in liberation philosophy is the fear of freedom. And at this point we scuttle back to the known. But if we are courageous enough to persist, we develop a taste for freedom. So freedom is an acquired taste.

For instance, I often wonder why do I keep coming back to Typology Central? And the answer is to find out what I will write. I start out not knowing what to write, and I think I have nothing to say, and I feel mildly panicky, but as I start to write each word, I discover something new.

Sometimes I try to plan what I will write, but it just comes out dead.

So liberation philosophy, or the philosophy of becoming, gives me something new to look forward to every day.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its not logic, its not difficult to refute.

Its just Schaupenour's skilful argumentation, it is a parlour game, it does not serve truth, it only serves those engaging in debate as a contest or sport.

It is the same as the Sophists and Sophistry of Socrates and Plato's day which they challenged.
    Not serious. The wink was meant to get that across.
    Formerly Lion4!5

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

What?!!!
    Philosophy is a type of thoughts.
    Thoughts are abstract unless you act them. they become actions.
    How can you ask such question?!
    That is incorrect.
    Any thought or feeling can be expressed by actions.
    So it’s not like this idea can’t be acted out because it’s philosophy.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.