User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

testing

MBTI
    INFJ

Gee, I was hoping to respond but my mind got boggled en route. Many things boggle my mind, so much so that I tend to walk around boggled pretty much all the time. In fact, within my boggles are little mini boggles that are also quite capable of dishing out a good boggling of their own. In the end, bobbles fill me with wonder and gratitude, so my seemingly deplorable condition is actually quite bearable.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    for me it's nothing and god. What is nothing? because the word nothing is still something so is darkness and how did it all begin? and was their every nothing because their is always something their is the ground the trees, the earth, universe, everything had to come into existence somehow. I mean how do you create something out of absolutely nothing? Let's assume God exists who/what created him? This is one of those things that has bugged me since I was about 11 or 12.
    Yeah, well ... the thing is with that ... the universe doesn't have an outside.

First, let the word 'universe' refer to everything. Second, suppose that the universe must have come into existence somehow. Now, if something comes into existence then there must exist some set of laws where it is possible for something to come into existence, otherwise nothing would come into existence. However, the word 'universe' refers to everything, and therefore must include the set of laws which allow things to come into existence. Therefore, the laws which allow for things to come into existence could not have come into existence unless they already existed, and so nothing could exist "before" them.

The same logic can explain why there was no 'before the universe'. In short, the universe does not have an outside.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    yupp

see I understand their was once nothing but what is nothing? and don't say it's the lack of something...cuz well duh. But what does it look like?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Matter and anti-matter produced by the collisions of space branes?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    GONE

Q. What boggles your mind?

A. Boggle. Sometimes Scrabble. Definitely 3D Sudoku.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

see I understand their was once nothing but what is nothing?
    The opposite of not-nothing i.e. something. The definition of nothing is tricky to express, since we define a term by assigning it properties, but what properties can nothing have? Surely nothing does not have any properties, but isn't the absence of properties a property itself? Therein lies the paradox. There is a solution and it involves no more than eliminating the inconsistency. Do not define nothing by the absence of propertires, nothing does have properties, but only those which it must have on pain of contradiction, and nothing more. The properties which remain are all self-referential, and preserve nothing but a consistent nothingness.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

On things that boggle my mind...

The first thing that truly baffles me is how intelligent some people can come across in person and how stupid and herd-like they are in a group dynamic. The second thing I find rather interesting is the law of superposition: that a particle can exist in more than one place at the same time (something I've spent a fair bit of time contemplating). Third, people with an extremely low level of consciousness (sometimes I wonder if we live in the same world). Fourth, sensors...I don't speak sensor and most sensors don't understand the language of intuition - there's a huge intellectual disparity between the two...every so often I try and teach sensors a few words of intuition and they say something completely ...ok I have to stop before I blow a gasket. That's all for now.

MBTI
    INTP

1. How primitive humans are and yet we're arrogant enough to think otherwise

2. An incomprehensibly large number like infinity or googol (1x10^100). A googol is more than the number of atoms in the visible universe.

MBTI
    ENTJ

What is nothing? because the word nothing is still something so is darkness and how did it all begin? and was their every nothing because their is always something their is the ground the trees, the earth, universe, everything had to come into existence somehow. I mean how do you create something out of absolutely nothing?
    Quantum theory is such a wonderful thing, isn't it?
    The problem I have with nothing is trying to imagine nothing existing at some point. Imagine that the world as we know it doesn't exist. You can't even define where you are in space, because there is nothing anywhere. In fact, you can't even call it space. The intangible observer is at no location and can sense nothing.
    That gives me headaches.
    But according to some intriguing new theoretical mumbo-jumbo, there is no nothing. "Empty" space is bubbling like a shaken Coke can. Matter is appearing and disappearing all around us, too small and fleeting to detect. Possibly the known universe started as a little bubble of spontaneous matter that happened to be big enough to stick around.
    I know, I just made it all a lot worse for you. Blame Michio Kaku.

Let's assume God exists who/what created him? This is one of those things that has bugged me since I was about 11 or 12.
    Now here's one I know I can answer.
    Why do you start with the assumption that God must have come from somewhere or something? There is no reason why He couldn't be eternal. Assuming that everything must have an origin only makes things horribly complicated, and there is no basis for that assumption anyway. We might as well also ask questions like "What made time" or "Where does gravity's energy come from?" Occam's Razor guides the way.

By the way, matter/energy could also be eternal, but not in the same way. We can observe matter, and we know a lot about how it operates. We know that atoms are not eternal, because at one point all the matter in the universe was squished into a ridiculously small singularity with no room for wasted space like electron orbitals. Our familiarity with matter unfortunately causes many to reason about God's existence under the same rules, even though those rules have no basis when not applied to matter as we observe it. We cannot see God expanding like the universe does, nor do we know anything about his structure, or whether he has any structure that we can comprehend. It's awfully vague, and in the absence of anything solid to go on, the simplest assumption, and the one we should have until something indicates a reason to believe otherwise, is that God, if He exists, is eternal.

so what are your hangups with the universe?
    I have a love/hate relationship with numerous paradoxes. Currently I am focused on a few involving Christianity. It might be stupid to psychoanalyze God, but I have a hard time leaving alone anything that I think does not make sense. Why did He bother with us? Why doesn't He make His existence obvious, provided He wants people to believe in Him?
    Perhaps I should just look up some theological arguments and stop doing all the work myself.