User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

I'll have my johnnyyukon medium rare, please.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    7. "Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often
    worse than those that walk on all‐fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual
    and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!"
    Satan represents the ego.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    As an FYI/PSA, LaVeyan Satanism is a form of atheism - not devil worship - that utilizes spiritual language and structure. It encourages independence of thought and strength of self, and typically involves extensive use of interpersonal and intrapersonal psychological theory. "Satan" is a symbol generally representing the attributes of power that mainstream religions typically reject in their requisite submission of humans to a deity. LaVeyan Satanists do not believe in the being known as "Satan" as conceptualized in the Abrahamic religions; "Satan" in this sense is more rhetorical device and less pivotal focus. The self is really the pivotal focus in LaVeyan Satanism, and a more applicable critique of the philosophy, IMO, would be to focus on the potential pitfalls of self-glorification.

So, for what it's worth, there is no "Satan" here to reject, as rejecting the Abrahamic concept of Satan is actually a prerequisite to being a LaVeyan Satanist. I suspect the sense of shock accompanied by the term "Satanism" is somewhat valuable to them because the point of LaVeyan Satanism is to awaken people out of the conformity, restriction, and submission they believe is part of mainstream religion, so that they may flourish in their individuality and take full advantage of life. Plus they might get lulz out of it, as I suspect johnny is here.
    My understanding of LeVay (whose birth name was Howard... haha) was that he was quite the showboater. One of his favorite instruments to play was the pipe organ (how showy), and he spent a lot of his early adulthood in carnivals. He seemed to be in the thick of things, around people, liked to organize groups, knew lots of people. It fell right into line with him to like and know how to attract attention and poke people in ways to get them riled up, all the better to get some press. He was already a local personage when he decided to direct a group he was in into the lines of this new organization; part of choosing the "Satan" angle was to create controversy that would stir up more opportunities and unnerve people.

... Looks like you guys have hit on much of that, though...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My understanding of LeVay (whose birth name was Howard... haha) was that he was quite the showboater. One of his favorite instruments to play was the pipe organ (how showy), and he spent a lot of his early adulthood in carnivals. He seemed to be in the thick of things, around people, liked to organize groups, knew lots of people. It fell right into line with him to like and know how to attract attention and poke people in ways to get them riled up, all the better to get some press. He was already a local personage when he decided to direct a group he was in into the lines of this new organization; part of choosing the "Satan" angle was to create controversy that would stir up more opportunities and unnerve people.

Oh wow, interesting. Danke, Fraulein.

So LeVay was a carnie? Makes a lot more sense.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

That really sort of makes a lot of sense in a funny way. Nice info!!

Pipe organ and Satan... makes me think...

Satan is a breath of fresh air in a world where the bad guys make all kinds of excuses from child abuse to drunken memory loss. Whereas Satan was upfront, no excuses, no whinning, no blaming others, no denial. Satan tells it like it is: I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven.

Satan inspires me to take a breath of fresh air.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

From the Infernal Diatribe, Chapter II, Verse 13.

13 The most dangerous of all enthroned lies is the holy, the sanctified, the
    privileged lie the lie everyone believes to be a model truth.
    It is the fruitful mother of all other popular errors and delusions. It is a hydra‐headed tree of unreason with a thousand roots. It is a social cancer!

Megachurches, Consumerism, The Rat Race, Joel Osteen, The Bachelorette.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Retired

:}

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    :}
    Who would you prefer? Sweet Jesus meek and mild, or Satan who would prefer to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The Satanic Bible is a direct response to the Bible, and any one educated enough to read the Bible in context or from a historic perspective could come to similar conclusions on many of these statements and not be a Satanist. They could still be a Christian in fact. Didn't Jesus also question organized religion and the Pharisees and Sadducees? Doesn't the Bible pretty much tell us we are the only animal who even needs commandments?