User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 69

  1. #31
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    As an FYI/PSA, LaVeyan Satanism is a form of atheism - not devil worship - that utilizes spiritual language and structure. It encourages independence of thought and strength of self, and typically involves extensive use of interpersonal and intrapersonal psychological theory. "Satan" is a symbol generally representing the attributes of power that mainstream religions typically reject in their requisite submission of humans to a deity. LaVeyan Satanists do not believe in the being known as "Satan" as conceptualized in the Abrahamic religions; "Satan" in this sense is more rhetorical device and less pivotal focus. The self is really the pivotal focus in LaVeyan Satanism, and a more applicable critique of the philosophy, IMO, would be to focus on the potential pitfalls of self-glorification.

    So, for what it's worth, there is no "Satan" here to reject, as rejecting the Abrahamic concept of Satan is actually a prerequisite to being a LaVeyan Satanist. I suspect the sense of shock accompanied by the term "Satanism" is somewhat valuable to them because the point of LaVeyan Satanism is to awaken people out of the conformity, restriction, and submission they believe is part of mainstream religion, so that they may flourish in their individuality and take full advantage of life. Plus they might get lulz out of it, as I suspect johnny is here.
    Right, in my mind, it's much more like Ayn Rand-style Objectivism than "worshipping the Christian devil."
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  2. #32
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Right, in my mind, it's much more like Ayn Rand-style Objectivism than "worshipping the Christian devil."
    Bingo.

  3. #33
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    As an FYI/PSA, LaVeyan Satanism is a form of atheism - not devil worship - that utilizes spiritual language and structure. It encourages independence of thought and strength of self, and typically involves extensive use of interpersonal and intrapersonal psychological theory. "Satan" is a symbol generally representing the attributes of power that mainstream religions typically reject in their requisite submission of humans to a deity. LaVeyan Satanists do not believe in the being known as "Satan" as conceptualized in the Abrahamic religions; "Satan" in this sense is more rhetorical device and less pivotal focus. The self is really the pivotal focus in LaVeyan Satanism, and a more applicable critique of the philosophy, IMO, would be to focus on the potential pitfalls of self-glorification.

    So, for what it's worth, there is no "Satan" here to reject, as rejecting the Abrahamic concept of Satan is actually a prerequisite to being a LaVeyan Satanist. I suspect the sense of shock accompanied by the term "Satanism" is somewhat valuable to them because the point of LaVeyan Satanism is to awaken people out of the conformity, restriction, and submission they believe is part of mainstream religion, so that they may flourish in their individuality and take full advantage of life. Plus they might get lulz out of it, as I suspect johnny is here.
    Well dang, you just took the "shock" right outta my hilarious thread.

    And surprised me again with the crazy shit you know
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes skylights liked this post

  4. #34
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    I once brought a Satanist home with me. First and only time I've interacted with one...it went a little like this:

    A Memory--

    "You are different," the Icelandic boy said to me.

    "I am," I said.

    "I worship Satan," he said. "You should fear me."

    He showed me some hideous spider ring on his finger with ruby eyes. I thought it was gaudy, over dramatic, but all I said was, "Well, ain't that somethin'?"

    I smiled and held up my little finger. "I have enough power in my pinky-finger to cast Satan in the pits of hell. I have the surge of the Almighty flowing through me. I know what I am," I said. "Why should I fear you?"

    "I can destroy your body," he said.

    "It's only a body," I replied. "It's not permanent anyway. You can't do anything to me unless I let you."

    "I'm nervous," he said. "I need a smoke."

    "Let's go outside then," I said.

    "All right," he said, so we did. Then we played basketball. He got winded, so we had to quit.

    "What is it about you? How can you not fear me? Don't you think I'm weird? Doesn't my appearance bug you?"

    I looked at him. Seventeen, tattooed like a billboard for bad boys, rings in his ears, his nose, his eyebrows, his tongue, pale skin, black hair, tired eyes, dreadlocks that hadn't been washed in...maybe forever, tough face...terrified interior.

    I tossed the ball in the goal and caught it as it sprang up off the pavement. "Why should I care what you look like?"

    I pitched the ball to him. He caught it and breathed heavily. The heavy smoking and lack of physical exercise made him weak, even though he was foot taller than I. "Well," he said. "Just stay over there, because...you scare me."

    "Wanna watch Lion King?" I asked.

    "Yeah, but you stay on the other side of the room," he said.

    So we walked back to the house and watched Lion King. He never came back to my house.

    Some part of me pitied him because he tried so hard to get a reaction out of people. I think he owned a Satanic Bible.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  5. #35
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I once brought a Satanist home with me. First and only time I've interacted with one...it went a little like this:

    A Memory--

    "You are different," the Icelandic boy said to me.

    "I am," I said.

    "I worship Satan," he said. "You should fear me."

    He showed me some hideous spider ring on his finger with ruby eyes. I thought it was gaudy, over dramatic, but all I said was, "Well, ain't that somethin'?"

    I smiled and held up my little finger. "I have enough power in my pinky-finger to cast Satan in the pits of hell. I have the surge of the Almighty flowing through me. I know what I am," I said. "Why should I fear you?"

    "I can destroy your body," he said.

    "It's only a body," I replied. "It's not permanent anyway. You can't do anything to me unless I let you."

    "I'm nervous," he said. "I need a smoke."

    "Let's go outside then," I said.

    "All right," he said, so we did. Then we played basketball. He got winded, so we had to quit.

    "What is it about you? How can you not fear me? Don't you think I'm weird? Doesn't my appearance bug you?"

    I looked at him. Seventeen, tattooed like a billboard for bad boys, rings in his ears, his nose, his eyebrows, his tongue, pale skin, black hair, tired eyes, dreadlocks that hadn't been washed in...maybe forever, tough face...terrified interior.

    I tossed the ball in the goal and caught it as it sprang up off the pavement. "Why should I care what you look like?"

    I pitched the ball to him. He caught it and breathed heavily. The heavy smoking and lack of physical exercise made him weak, even though he was foot taller than I. "Well," he said. "Just stay over there, because...you scare me."

    "Wanna watch Lion King?" I asked.

    "Yeah, but you stay on the other side of the room," he said.

    So we walked back to the house and watched Lion King. He never came back to my house.

    Some part of me pitied him because he tried so hard to get a reaction out of people. I think he owned a Satanic Bible.
    Are you the Anti-Satan???? Just stay over there.









    Funny story.

    It's well known that when a servant of the Dark Lord is overcome by fear, only The Lion King and orange slices can sooth his widdle Satanic soul.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Grand Admiral Crunch, Ene liked this post

  6. #36
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    All I know is that this is a cool image. I like some "satanic" imagery, but really, lol @ satan. Also I think it's funny to apply the term "satanism" to rather basic and innocent philosophies. It just screams as a cry for attention and edginess and is quite misleading.

    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

  7. #37
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    P.S. @johnnyyukon I wasn't saying you were crying for attention... I was referring to Leveyan Satanism.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    As an FYI/PSA, LaVeyan Satanism is a form of atheism - not devil worship - that utilizes spiritual language and structure. It encourages independence of thought and strength of self, and typically involves extensive use of interpersonal and intrapersonal psychological theory. "Satan" is a symbol generally representing the attributes of power that mainstream religions typically reject in their requisite submission of humans to a deity. LaVeyan Satanists do not believe in the being known as "Satan" as conceptualized in the Abrahamic religions; "Satan" in this sense is more rhetorical device and less pivotal focus. The self is really the pivotal focus in LaVeyan Satanism, and a more applicable critique of the philosophy, IMO, would be to focus on the potential pitfalls of self-glorification.

    So, for what it's worth, there is no "Satan" here to reject, as rejecting the Abrahamic concept of Satan is actually a prerequisite to being a LaVeyan Satanist. I suspect the sense of shock accompanied by the term "Satanism" is somewhat valuable to them because the point of LaVeyan Satanism is to awaken people out of the conformity, restriction, and submission they believe is part of mainstream religion, so that they may flourish in their individuality and take full advantage of life. Plus they might get lulz out of it, as I suspect johnny is here.
    Yeah, I thought the thread was a joke.

    You've sized up the Le Vay script well too, its a lot like Ayn Rand, and its what I meant when I said it was literary satanism or a human, all to human rationalisation.

    But you summarised it really well.
    Likes skylights liked this post

  9. #39
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Are you the Anti-Satan???? Just stay over there.

    Funny story.

    It's well known that when a servant of the Dark Lord is overcome by fear, only The Lion King and orange slices can sooth his widdle Satanic soul.

    LOL! Exactly. The prince of darkness is no match for the circle of life and the head wacking monkey.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  10. #40
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    I can't reject Satan since I don't think it exists. The Tooth Fairy gets equal treatment.
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. The Metagram: A theory of Personality Pathology, for your perusal
    By Zangetshumody in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
  2. Give me ALL of the details on a J person por favor
    By /DG/ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
  3. Is the brain the source of faith?
    By JAVO in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 05:08 AM
  4. Evaluating sources of science facts and what is the current scientific viewpoint
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 08:00 PM
  5. The Novelty of Personality Types
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO