User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Hear Hear! Ya, we're basically bacteria.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

The version of Satan in Le Vay's writing is the product of human, all too human rationalisations, perhaps its another step beyond literary portrayals of Satan in books like Paradise Lost because I dont believe that earlier or other characterisations of Satan could draw any support.

I reject Satan and all his works, I would encourage everyone else to aswell. Irrespective of what you think about God. Even if you are an athiest or materialist.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I reject Satan and all his works, I would encourage everyone else to aswell. Irrespective of what you think about God. Even if you are an athiest or materialist.
    I agree with that.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

The version of Satan in Le Vay's writing is the product of human, all too human rationalisations, perhaps its another step beyond literary portrayals of Satan in books like Paradise Lost because I dont believe that earlier or other characterisations of Satan could draw any support.

The Tarot's Devil is pretty good, and most of his influence on humans is tricking us into giving in fully to our most raw desires.

A goat also symbolises the scapegoat, the person or thing upon which people project the inferior side of themselves in order to feel better about themselves. Thus the Devil is the scapegoat we blame for our troubles in life.

The Devil has the wings of a vampire bat, an animal that sucks the life blood out of its prey. This is symbolic of what happens when we give full reign to the realm of our raw desires. We lose our vitality and life energy. The Devil has an almost hypnotic stare, bringing those who come near him within his power. Above him is an inverted pentagram, signifying the darker side of magic and occultism.

At the foot of the Devil stands a man and a woman, both naked and chained to the podium on which the Devil sits. They appear to be held here, against their will, but only closer observation, the chains around their necks are loose and could be easily removed. This symbolises that bondage to the Devil is ultimately a voluntary matter which consciousness can release. The man and woman wear tiny horns like those of the Satyr – they are becoming more and more like the devil the longer they stay here. Both have tails – a further symbol of their animalistic or 'lower' tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    The Tarot's Devil is pretty good, and most of his influence on humans is tricking us into giving in fully to our most raw desires.

I'm sure that the associations of Satan with base behaviour, like animals acting on instinct and possessing less or no consciousness as humans do or are supposed to, is valid but that's only one facet of Satan.

Animals can be blameless, in some of the original or older thinking animals did not possess souls at all.

This all could be a reflection of the crucial criteria for life now or afterlife was consciousness, Erich Fromm has written about that and has written some great reflections on the old testament/Jewish scriptures, including Genesis, attempting a reinterpretation like Fuerbach did of Christianity. Fromm suggests that the story of the expulsion from paradise is about evolving from instinct to consciousness and comprehension of existential dilemmas like the purpose of life, drives to freedom and conflicted psychological states.

Like I said, a lot of literary satanism, is based on pretty human or humanistic portrayals of Satan, which is not restricted to celebrating base behaviour and instincts, remember Satan was the arch-angel "who would be king" and thought himself the equal of God, the usurper and pretender to greatness.

It is an impossible formula that from evil some good may come, of adversity some good things are born but only from good struggling with evil and prevailing, never from evil and its part.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I'm sure that the associations of Satan with base behaviour, like animals acting on instinct and possessing less or no consciousness as humans do or are supposed to, is valid but that's only one facet of Satan.

Animals can be blameless, in some of the original or older thinking animals did not possess souls at all.

This all could be a reflection of the crucial criteria for life now or afterlife was consciousness, Erich Fromm has written about that and has written some great reflections on the old testament/Jewish scriptures, including Genesis, attempting a reinterpretation like Fuerbach did of Christianity. Fromm suggests that the story of the expulsion from paradise is about evolving from instinct to consciousness and comprehension of existential dilemmas like the purpose of life, drives to freedom and conflicted psychological states.

Like I said, a lot of literary satanism, is based on pretty human or humanistic portrayals of Satan, which is not restricted to celebrating base behaviour and instincts, remember Satan was the arch-angel "who would be king" and thought himself the equal of God, the usurper and pretender to greatness.

It is an impossible formula that from evil some good may come, of adversity some good things are born but only from good struggling with evil and prevailing, never from evil and its part.
    Well man is made in God's image as well. Christians relate to the son of God, Jesus, a human (or demi-god/God, was never clear).

Most religions' main deities have some semblance of man (not all). A human portrayal of Satan is all up in the Bible. And really, what's a better portrayal for humans to relate to?

Yeah that damn apple in the Garden of Eve, Knowledge. And it seems self-knowledge could be argued for that, like I think you're suggesting, and all the human "woe is me" lamentations that the beasts seem blissfully unaware of. I personally think animals can be traumatized and suffer, but humans have a unique talent for it.

I think you may be right about pure evil being purely corruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Well man is made in God's image as well. Christians relate to the son of God, Jesus, a human (or demi-god/God, was never clear).

Most religions' main deities have some semblance of man (not all). A human portrayal of Satan is all up in the Bible. And really, what's a better portrayal for humans to relate to?

Yeah that damn apple in the Garden of Eve, Knowledge. And it seems self-knowledge could be argued for that, like I think you're suggesting, and all the human "woe is me" lamentations that the beasts seem blissfully unaware of. I personally think animals can be traumatized and suffer, but humans have a unique talent for it.

I think you may be right about pure evil being purely corruptive.
    Reject Satan.

And all his works.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Reject Satan.

And all his works.
    Maybe later.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Satan leads by example.

His only setback was that he knew the truth about anything.

Man is just organic.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

As an FYI/PSA, LaVeyan Satanism is a form of atheism - not devil worship - that utilizes spiritual language and structure. It encourages independence of thought and strength of self, and typically involves extensive use of interpersonal and intrapersonal psychological theory. "Satan" is a symbol generally representing the attributes of power that mainstream religions typically reject in their requisite submission of humans to a deity. LaVeyan Satanists do not believe in the being known as "Satan" as conceptualized in the Abrahamic religions; "Satan" in this sense is more rhetorical device and less pivotal focus. The self is really the pivotal focus in LaVeyan Satanism, and a more applicable critique of the philosophy, IMO, would be to focus on the potential pitfalls of self-glorification.

So, for what it's worth, there is no "Satan" here to reject, as rejecting the Abrahamic concept of Satan is actually a prerequisite to being a LaVeyan Satanist. I suspect the sense of shock accompanied by the term "Satanism" is somewhat valuable to them because the point of LaVeyan Satanism is to awaken people out of the conformity, restriction, and submission they believe is part of mainstream religion, so that they may flourish in their individuality and take full advantage of life. Plus they might get lulz out of it, as I suspect johnny is here.