The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    I just wish it would have shown moderate theists reactions to extremists as well, to show that there is diversity within religiously minded people, that would have gone a long way to make serious scholars think about taking it seriously, as it is it seems dishonest. I agree though, that religious extremism is scary and the public should be made aware that it is scary and destructive.
    I may make my own documentary. I have the tools and have done similar things before.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    I just wish it would have shown moderate theists reactions to extremists as well, to show that there is diversity within religiously minded people, that would have gone a long way to make serious scholars think about taking it seriously, as it is it seems dishonest. I agree though, that religious extremism is scary and the public should be made aware that it is scary and destructive.
    This is a good point, most of the time when anyone is being critical of religion they portray it at its worst and validate atheism, its total binary thinking and an unfortunate dichotomy.

Religion has been the means by which the human race has explained and understood things for the majority of its existence, its had its rivals and while they've proven to be just as bad as religion at its worst they've not yet to prove that they can be as good as religion at its best.

Its strange to me that anyone would want to deny and dismiss this, in an individual if they wanted to deny and jettison the majority of their effective memory it would be considered dysfunctional, or at the very least a little strange, on the societal level its considered functional and progressive? I'll never understand that sort of thing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Do you find God a thought-terminating cliche?

Do you think Occam's Razor is always right?

---

My two cents on this thread which I'll admit I haven't really read all the way through: I'm some flavor of agnostic theist for no reason other than it seems the easiest answer to me. I believe in God as a kind of first creative principle but this has little to no bearing on the way I live life. I'll never be able to prove or disprove it and so I don't know if it's worth trying.

I would very much like to believe in some kind of universal consciousness though, far more than God.
    Jungian collective consciousness rather than a deity?

Or the cosmos becoming conscious of itself through the medium of evolved humanity?

I have thought about the prospect of God existing but being far removed from any human definition or as being undefinable, this would mean that God may be to each of us as far removed as we are from molecules or atoms with the same sort of difference of consciousness.

Its a possibility.

Which would also mean that there is no afterlife, no consequence, no divinely ordained order etc. etc.

And traditional religion would have no consolation what so ever for anyone living and dying today. Its as scary a prospect as there being no God in existence to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    And traditional religion would have no consolation what so ever for anyone living and dying today. Its as scary a prospect as there being no God in existence to begin with.
    Reductionism has been enormously successful in any branch of science.

Yet religion goes in the opposite direction from reductionism. Rather than reducing, religion builds castles in the air. Religion seeks to transcend, to move beyond the natural to the supernatual, to the woo-woo.

Religion does not have its feet on the ground. Whether it is Mohammed ascending to heaven on a flying horse, or the God called Ganesh with the head of an elephant, or the three headed God called the Trinity, all build intricate castles in the air based on shared fantasy.

There is something clean and crisp and successful about reductionism, and something trashy about the supernatural.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

Jungian collective consciousness rather than a deity?

Or the cosmos becoming conscious of itself through the medium of evolved humanity?

I have thought about the prospect of God existing but being far removed from any human definition or as being undefinable, this would mean that God may be to each of us as far removed as we are from molecules or atoms with the same sort of difference of consciousness.

Its a possibility.

Which would also mean that there is no afterlife, no consequence, no divinely ordained order etc. etc.

Not consciousness in the Jungian sense, no, though I suppose that could end up being a byproduct of what I wish were true. My definition is likely closer to your second choice, but without any particular premium on humanity (any kind of life/animation to me would be a fragment of consciousness to me). I guess the closest to it would be a comparison with the Upanishadic conception of consciousness, little souls which merge on death with the great soul. But the great soul wouldn't be a centralized point of focus for me, rather a pool of universal consciousness, I guess. I like the idea of atoms of consciousness.

It's impossible to say though. Given the fact that the physical universe is probably headed towards death by entropy, I don't know what life's fate would be. Nothing long lasting, I'm sure. Consciousness, like order, is probably of severely limited duration in our chaotic world.

Traditional religion has rarely, if ever, been satisfying to me because I have never believed that there will be a god to embrace me when I die. The power of human faith does move me and awe me sometimes, but quite often, I just find it annoying and disruptive.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Reductionism has been enormously successful in any branch of science.

Yet religion goes in the opposite direction from reductionism. Rather than reducing, religion builds castles in the air. Religion seeks to transcend, to move beyond the natural to the supernatual, to the woo-woo.

Religion does not have its feet on the ground. Whether it is Mohammed ascending to heaven on a flying horse, or the God called Ganesh with the head of an elephant, or the three headed God called the Trinity, all build intricate castles in the air based on shared fantasy.

There is something clean and crisp and successful about reductionism, and something trashy about the supernatural.
    If you were better informed you would think differently. At least I hope you would.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Not consciousness in the Jungian sense, no, though I suppose that could end up being a byproduct of what I wish were true. My definition is likely closer to your second choice, but without any particular premium on humanity (any kind of life/animation to me would be a fragment of consciousness to me). I guess the closest to it would be a comparison with the Upanishadic conception of consciousness, little souls which merge on death with the great soul. But the great soul wouldn't be a centralized point of focus for me, rather a pool of universal consciousness, I guess. I like the idea of atoms of consciousness.

It's impossible to say though. Given the fact that the physical universe is probably headed towards death by entropy, I don't know what life's fate would be. Nothing long lasting, I'm sure. Consciousness, like order, is probably of severely limited duration in our chaotic world.

Traditional religion has rarely, if ever, been satisfying to me because I have never believed that there will be a god to embrace me when I die. The power of human faith does move me and awe me sometimes, but quite often, I just find it annoying and disruptive.
    There's a lot of traditional religion which isnt deist, like a lot of eastern traditions, although you're probably talking about the traditions of the west if you grew up there.

Cosmic death by entropy? Chaos? What if it isnt so?

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

There's a lot of traditional religion which isnt deist, like a lot of eastern traditions, although you're probably talking about the traditions of the west if you grew up there.

Cosmic death by entropy? Chaos? What if it isnt so?
    Heat death of the universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

This is a good point, most of the time when anyone is being critical of religion they portray it at its worst and validate atheism, its total binary thinking and an unfortunate dichotomy.

Religion has been the means by which the human race has explained and understood things for the majority of its existence, its had its rivals and while they've proven to be just as bad as religion at its worst they've not yet to prove that they can be as good as religion at its best.

Its strange to me that anyone would want to deny and dismiss this, in an individual if they wanted to deny and jettison the majority of their effective memory it would be considered dysfunctional, or at the very least a little strange, on the societal level its considered functional and progressive? I'll never understand that sort of thing.
    I agree that we must learn from our past.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Did you guys figure it out yet?
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.