First 123412 Last

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Let's not refer to things as if they were facts, when they are only what you're told or what you've read, with a giant touch of personal interpretation.

| | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

The pope recently admitted that the Big Bang theory and evolution are true and that they aren't incompatible with religion. Hmm.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

ugghh, again
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Living much of my life in American evangelism and fundamentalism which views evolution as anathema to faith, I was kind of surprised when my European Christian friends had a different take. And in that light, I don't think this most recent Pope's comments are that big a deal.

Since the publication of Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species in 1859, the attitude of the Catholic Church on the theory of evolution has slowly been refined. Early contributions to the development of evolutionary theory were made by Catholic scientists such as Jean-Baptiste Lamarck and the Augustinian monk Gregor Mendel. For nearly a century, the papacy offered no authoritative pronouncement on Darwin's theories. In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces.[1] Today, the Church supports theistic evolution(ism), also known as evolutionary creation,[2] although Catholics are free not to believe in any part of evolutionary theory...
    Catholic Church and evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

If it's important enough and if there is a God, he'll let you know.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes PocketFullOf, riva liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Living much of my life in American evangelism and fundamentalism which views evolution as anathema to faith, I was kind of surprised when my European Christian friends had a different take. And in that light, I don't think this most recent Pope's comments are that big a deal.

Catholic Church and evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fun fact: Arguably the founder of modern american fundamentalism, John Gresham Machen, held nuanced views on evolution and refused William Jennings Bryan's offer to testify at the Scopes trial.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

Quote Originally Posted by Standing Here View Post
    The pope recently admitted that the Big Bang theory and evolution are true and that they aren't incompatible with religion. Hmm.
    He's right.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

.... getting back to the Flood briefly, my assessment is that it's likely there was a local flood of huge significance (since it is reflected in various cultural myth/storytelling), but the evidence isn't there to support global flooding and seems physically unlikely due to all the constraints of ark-creation + acquiring and keeping that variety of animals in a fairly isolated environment.

[Even Aronofsky tried to deal with this in "Noah," he actually put all the animals on the boat to sleep using some kind of inhaled drug, although I have no idea what that would have been that Noah could have actually concocted...]

I don't have an issue with the Bible or other texts taken on that level; I had to struggle out of what amounted to fundamentalist/literalist viewpoints myself as my starting point, it's all I really knew until I was an older teen. I've spent a lot of time as an adult to try to reconsider some kind of most-probable "middle road" while resisting pressure from the extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Fun fact: Arguably the founder of modern american fundamentalism, John Gresham Machen, held nuanced views on evolution and refused William Jennings Bryan's offer to testify at the Scopes trial.
    Thanks. I just read a little about of him and he looks refreshingly complex -- I need to read more. Random fact, turns out he is buried right here in Baltimore as well, near where I83 dumps into the inner harbor area.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Maybe the religious books were written to control people and their way of thinking. Like the books are already telling you how you should live but contradicts itself by saying you should have free will but how? When something or someone is telling you how you should live your life and telling you what to do. Is it just necessary guidance or something more? All religious books form from some sort of truth but are exaggerated. Then some people later on start to question it because life style changes. Don't you think that maybe humans themselves just made it all up? Created stories from reality. Rulers that wanted people to obey the rules or rulers that were evil and selfish that wanted control. Either way none of us are going to ever know the truth. It's an endless mystery. If your broaden your thinking and think about how space was created and who created this and this if this created this then who created that. It's just endless pondering and you won't get anywhere. I must apologize for my rambling HAHA

I think it is true that God does and doesnt exist, it all depends upon what is meant, definition matters and is difficult in these matters.

If that sounds like God, or more accurately speaking, religion, is a moving target to any athiests reading that then I'd say sure, maybe that is the case, religion and atheism both are always going to exist as long as people do.

Does God exist? Is often a "stand in" question, beneath it or behind it there's a million other questions, the real ones, like whether or not there are consequences, whether or not its necessary to obey your conscience, whether or not its necessary to live a moral life and what that is or if you think that the past and the traditions it bequeths to the present matters or not. Things like that. People are used to thinking about these things too superficially. The internet is the shallows.