User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

"Believe in the milkman!"

"But...he's real"

"Exactly. Now! Believe in God"

"Easy."
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Easiest way out of this mantra is to ask yourselves.

What has God given you?

I own everything. //case closed
    Likes Cygnus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Easiest way out of this mantra is to ask yourselves.

What has God given you?
    Define God.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

The Ark as described would not be able to hold the land-based species of the Earth to preserve their biodiversity.

Including the kangaroos.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    To put it in the most stale way possible, I'd see magic as cause-and-effect where the relationship between 'cause' and 'effect' isn't readily apparent or solidified.

How the hell did the lady get sawed in half and still survive? How do presents get under the tree at Christmas? How did that cancer get into remission, despite all odds? What's in the "black box" between this particular sinusoidal signal and its pulsating output?
    Order from chaos?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Imaging what you want to happen, and turning that into reality.

An oversimplification, but the practical gist.
    One thing that the Wiccans quote when casting spells is "As I will it, so mote it be."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    The Ark as described would not be able to hold the land-based species of the Earth to preserve their biodiversity.

Including the kangaroos.
    Alternatively if it wasnt all the planet but a part of it or it was a sci fi arc perserving gene streams or a straight up miracle. Take your pick.

Its meant to be a sort of magical tale, although I bet that Jews dont sweat the literalism as much as the Christians, there wasnt the same history surrounding solo scripturalism or even scripturalism per se in the Jewish tradition.

I love a lot of the Yiddish and Jewish wit and wisdom or story telling traditions and I think if you read them and then read the scriptures it all makes sense in a way that it otherwise would not, it all arises from a living community and living traditional faith reflecting the same, which is all reflected in ideas about each living person forming a letter in a living scripture, the whole idea that "those who begin burning books will end burning people" etc. etc.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Alternatively if it wasnt all the planet but a part of it or it was a sci fi arc perserving gene streams or a straight up miracle. Take your pick.

Its meant to be a sort of magical tale, although I bet that Jews dont sweat the literalism as much as the Christians, there wasnt the same history surrounding solo scripturalism or even scripturalism per se in the Jewish tradition.

I love a lot of the Yiddish and Jewish wit and wisdom or story telling traditions and I think if you read them and then read the scriptures it all makes sense in a way that it otherwise would not, it all arises from a living community and living traditional faith reflecting the same, which is all reflected in ideas about each living person forming a letter in a living scripture, the whole idea that "those who begin burning books will end burning people" etc. etc.
    I wish it was seen more as a magical tale i.e. a bad version of Lord Of The Rings, but far too many believe all this stuff actually happened, in the exact way it was written down. Without any loss/change of detail when the tale got passed from shepherd to shepherd until it got to someone who was able to write...

The Bible is an interesting insight into ancient cultures, but its authenticity has been brought into question many times. It does read better as a collection of fictional stories tbh.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

What is your experience of magic? Just curious.
    She is a particle physicist. She knows quantum stuff.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I wish it was seen more as a magical tale i.e. a bad version of Lord Of The Rings, but far too many believe all this stuff actually happened, in the exact way it was written down. Without any loss/change of detail when the tale got passed from shepherd to shepherd until it got to someone who was able to write...

The Bible is an interesting insight into ancient cultures, but its authenticity has been brought into question many times. It does read better as a collection of fictional stories tbh.
    I dont really share the view of the scriptures you do, although I was suggesting that getting hung up on the literalism and solo scripture is deeply mistaken.

If you consider some significant atheists from long ago Marx, Fuerbach or other more contemporary ones Fromm, Vernon they rightly love the text, it is a foundation text of western civilisation, influencing language, thinking, conceptualisation and mind but none of that is important to the people who belittle and dismiss it for their own reasons, usually to do with very contemporaneous experiences with very contemporaneous, and contemptably ignorant, individuals.

The struggle between bad religion and bad atheism is a perfect example of ignorant change facing off against ignorant opposition.