User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Define God.

How did that Rene fellow start the argument?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Define God.
    I define God as something greater than myself that created the universe. I generally would say that I subscribe to the Clockwork Universe Theory. Basically, I think that there was a God (most likely with no gender) and they set up the universe and let it go. We have free will as being more than just cogs in the machine, but "God" has moved on to some other Universe or plane of existence at this point. We are on our own unless "God" decides to come back and we need to not %uck it up!

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by BluRoses View Post
    I define God as something greater than myself that created the universe. I generally would say that I subscribe to the Clockwork Universe Theory. Basically, I think that there was a God (most likely with no gender) and they set up the universe and let it go. We have free will as being more than just cogs in the machine, but "God" has moved on to some other Universe or plane of existence at this point. We are on our own unless "God" decides to come back and we need to not %uck it up!
    I find that this is quite a common belief to hold. But why did you come to this conclusion? Why was this god needed to set up the world to begin with?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I define God as something greater than myself that created the universe. I generally would say that I subscribe to the Clockwork Universe Theory.

1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I find that this is quite a common belief to hold. But why did you come to this conclusion? Why was this god needed to set up the world to begin with?
    Let me preface this by saying that these are my beliefs. Do I think I am absolutely right about God and there is no possible way I could be wrong? No. I have never had anyone that I believed was telling me the truth speak to me and say that they are God. Until that happens to me, I have to say that these are my views and I don't know the absolute truth.

So, I believe that God created this universe. I also believe there are multiple universes. Do i think he is for sure the only being that could exist that could be "God" according to my definition? No. I think it is possible there are more. Do I think God needed to create this universe? I don't know, I'm not them, but I would guess that they have some amount of free will.

To be completely honest, I think I came by these beliefs due to the experiences and what I have read in my lifetime thus far. I was raised Christian and have always Wanted to Believe. However, when I was in my 20's and more mature than my childhood self, I started to really doubt the God and Heaven and Hell that I was taught to believe in. This is largely because of history facts not always agreeing with the Bible, but also just from certain things in Christianity being nonsensical.

I personally think that huge parts of the bible (old and new testament) are malarkey and that the people who wrote their chapters, or the church in editing it, largely messed with and sometimes fabricated information. I do, however, think that it is possible and maybe even likely that there are grains of truth in the Bible, as with other holy books like the Quran. I like to think that maybe God was popping up all over the place at one time, messing with the humans. I think that at this point, "God" is far far away, or he would be physically present in a tangible way, and probably still messing with us.

your resident asshole

So, I believe that God created this universe. I also believe there are multiple universes. Do i think he is for sure the only being that could exist that could be "God" according to my definition? No. I think it is possible there are more. Do I think God needed to create this universe? I don't know, I'm not them, but I would guess that they have some amount of free will.
    Yeah, I was just asking, because I was curious to your reasoning in deciding that a being created the universe. But, I see you've explained it in the following paragraph!

Funny...I used to share practically the exact same view as you! I just thought I'd ask to see how similar they were! Thanks for sharing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Honestly, God's existence/non-existence is not something I agonize over anymore. I am more interested in finding ways to plug into the world, and feel connected. Whether that feeling IS God, or a cognitive illusion, or just gas, I'm happy to feel and experience unity with all living things.
    Of that, I am EXTREMELY envious.
    Likes BluRoses, Luke O, Forever_Jung liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't believe in God, and I don't subscribe to any religion, but I haven't fully discounted the possibility of other things, other energies that science can't fully explain yet. The human mind has elevated us above mere animals, but is there potential above just being smarter?

I've experimented with magic in the past, to try to tap into such energies (with some skepticism) - what I found was either magic or self-coaching etc. That was a few years ago, now.

With regards to the universe and creation, there are enough models out there that don't require a God to create, destroy or regulate. Nothing like "before the Big Bang, there was this one guy who created himself, who really didn't like the gay people he hadn't created yet".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Was God some elder alien (El/Jah) disseminating his religions here as a form of conquest, or a concept invented by humans as a primitive way of explaining why things happen (i.e. pre-scientific), and/or to give an excuse for powerful men to kill or oppress other people?