User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The complete lack of empathy for Isaac reaches far beyond Typology Central. It reaches back in time for 3,000 years, and it reaches today into Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism and Islam.

And the complete lack of empathy infects American culture with their ugly word loser. The American use of this ugly word is particularly striking to us because, although we understand the meaning, we don't use the word ourselves. And loser expresses the contemptuous hatred of the hurt and vulnerable. And is a hallmark of this American life.

So where does this contemptuous hatred of the hurt and vulnerable come from in Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism and Islam and American culture? It comes from the worship of the God of Abraham and the complete lack of empathy for His victim, Isaac.

And we become what we worship.
    I agree there is no empathy for Isaac. But there is a good reason for this -- God can do no wrong. A justified authority can do things ordinary people cannot. This belief manifests itself in the idea that the American government can do horrible things to people that would be utterly wrong for an individual. This much I can agree is likely a result of religious doctrine.

I disagree that the word 'loser' is part of the same tradition. American contempt for the weak is partly a continuation of the fine tradition begun by the British of rule by money and merchants, and partly a result of the Englishman Herbert Spencer's social darwinism. America has a nasty little history of eugenics; we were particularly receptive to it because we were a land of immigrants ruled mainly by the descendants of the original British colonists, and said rulers were paranoid about the corruption of the 'race' by Africans and lesser whites like the Irish and Eastern Europeans. Hitler got a number of his ideas from the American eugenics program, if you look into it. This was shut down largely after WWII; sterilization lost much of its appeal after the death camps were unveiled to the world.

Nevertheless, residual contempt has by no means worked its way out of our system. America is in many respects like the worst parts of what Old England had to offer to the world. Our lower classes never successfully mobilized like they did in the old country; we are more unequal than they are.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    Category error. The implications of the existence of Aesop are not analogous to the implications of the existence of God because God is not a person in the sense that Aesop is a person. God necessitates an idea about how the world works and Aesop does not.
    You have a point. It is much easier to prove the existence of Aesop. That should give me more confidence in what he said, no?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The complete lack of empathy for Isaac reaches far beyond Typology Central. It reaches back in time for 3,000 years, and it reaches today into Catholicism, Protestantism, Judaism and Islam.
    Perhaps, but that is beside the point when you are making a generalization about Typology Central. You might be surprised the variety of opinions represented among our membership, should you bother to inquire. Some people might even empathize with Abraham. Imagine as a parent, having to choose between your child and your God. Perhaps he should have offered himself in Isaac's place. Since he did not, perhaps the blame rests with him rather than God. He didn't have enough confidence to call God's bluff.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You have a point. It is much easier to prove the existence of Aesop. That should give me more confidence in what he said, no?
    Not necessarily. You could prove my existence more easily than the existence of Aesop, but it doesn't mean that you should have more confidence in my claim that I am a talking fish than in Aesop's wisdom claims.

I don't believe in metaphysics, btw, so this isn't an attempt to argue for God. I don't think there are any good arguments for God. But if you bypass that and accept God anyway, certain things are necessitated.

Perhaps, but that is beside the point when you are making a generalization about Typology Central. You might be surprised the variety of opinions represented among our membership, should you bother to inquire. Some people might even empathize with Abraham. Imagine as a parent, having to choose between your child and your God. Perhaps he should have offered himself in Isaac's place. Since he did not, perhaps the blame rests with him rather than God. He didn't have enough confidence to call God's bluff.
    In history vast numbers of children have been sacrificed to satisfy the blood lust of God*.

* "The History of Childhood", by Lloyd Demause.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LION4!5 View Post
    Not necessarily. You could prove my existence more easily than the existence of Aesop, but it doesn't mean that you should have more confidence in my claim that I am a talking fish than in Aesop's wisdom claims.

I don't believe in metaphysics, btw, so this isn't an attempt to argue for God. I don't think there are any good arguments for God. But if you bypass that and accept God anyway, certain things are necessitated.
    True. I could accept the existence of aliens who visit periodically in UFOs, but I don't recall their leaving us any specific advice or moral guidance. So, if I do want to guide my life by something that might just be a figment of my imagination, I might as well settle on one of the flavors of God.
    Likes BlackDog, The Wailing Specter liked this post

If it's important enough and if there is a God, he'll let you know.
    Lolz this.

Assuming that god does exist, If it is so important that humans follow his rules (especially the silly ones like us having to believe in him and not having any other god before him) he would have if powerful enough personally informed to each and every one of us about his existence.

No i am not talking about sending us spam mail.

I am sure 99.99% of people would obey him wholeheartedly if he does so atleast once.

The existence and non-existence of God had influenced the philosophy of Martin Heidegger, the favourite philosopher of @Evee.

Martin abstacted the existence and non-existence of God to Being and Non-Being, and explained one in terms of the other.

Unfortunately Martin also believed that Being and Non-Being trumped morality.

And so Martin joined a political party that thought the same and put it into practice.

And this political party proved that Being and Non-Being trumped morality by moving 12 million of their own people into Non-Being.

MBTI
    INFJ

Bluffing is deception. It is a form of lie. If someone obeys you and you tell them to do something, don't be surprised when they do it. If you don't want it done then don't say it otherwise you're also culpable.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Bluffing is deception. It is a form of lie. If someone obeys you and you tell them to do something, don't be surprised when they do it. If you don't want it done then don't say it otherwise you're also culpable.
    Exactly. Doesn't say much for God, one way or the the other.