User Tag List

Thread: Millennials and Nihilism

173 so/sx

Default Millennials and Nihilism

Got this thread idea from two things: firstly, this article in the New York Times today, and secondly, a recent episode of WNYC's "Radiolab" podcast/radio show, hosted by Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich. Below is the closest I could get to a transcript/summary -- as well as a link to the podcast.

In The Dust Of This Planet - Radiolab

Horror, fashion, and the end of the world … things get weird as we explore the undercurrents of thought that link nihilists, beard-stroking philosophers, Jay-Z, and True Detective.

Today on Radiolab, a puzzle. Jad’s brother-in-law wrote a book called 'In The Dust of This Planet'.

It’s an academic treatise about the horror humanity feels as we realize that we are nothing but a speck in the universe. For a few years nobody read it. But then …

It seemed to show up on True Detective.

Then in a fashion magazine.

And then on Jay-Z's back. How?

We talk nihilism with Eugene Thacker & Simon Critchley, leather jackets with June Ambrose, climate change with David Victor, and hope with the father of Transcendental Black Metal - Hunter Hunt Hendrix of the band Liturgy. Special thanks to Thrill Jockey for use of the Liturgy song 'Generation'.
    Thoughts/opinions/feelings/etc? Does this resonate?

My thoughts are below, in spoiler tags.

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes GarrotTheThief, chickpea liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H. Array GarrotTheThief's Avatar

I think it might be a phase or particular cultural trait based on this generation being overexposed to electronic devices.

It's a hunch though so take it with a grain of salt. The internet can make someone feel small.

Before the internet the world felt bigger, more dangerous, but certainly more of an adventurous proposition. We are no pushing towards the frontiers and boundaries of our geographic existence so I think this is a phenomena related to that...
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post