123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default What Is The Soul? 13 Possible Definitions

The following link is to a 5 minute video of a number of experts describing what they think the soul is. There is a transcription below the video. I've list a few examples but you have to go to the article for the whole list. Do any of them resonate with you?

What Is The Soul?

Oprah: What is the soul?

Iyanla Vanzant: The soul, I believe, is the fingerprint of God that becomes a physical body. I believe that. It's the fingerprint... It's unique to everybody.

Deepak Chopra: The soul is the core of your being. It is eternal. It doesn't exist in space/time. It's a field of infinite possibilities, infinite creativity. It's your internal reference point with which you should always be in touch.

DeVon Franklin: The soul is the spirit. It is the connecting line to God. I believe the soul is where the Holy Spirit resides. I believe that it is literally, you know, when you pick up the phone and then you have your 4G network? The soul is the 4G network right to heaven to me.

Sarah Ban Breathnach: The soul is the spiritual essence of who we really are.

Daniel Pink: The soul is, I think, our capacity to see that our lives are about something more than simply the day to day, and that we're here for a purpose. It could be connected to religion or not, but that there is a purpose of your being here.

Jean Houston: I believe that the soul is the essence of who and what we are. I personally believe that it transcends our leaving this mortal coil. And I think it it comes with codes, and possibilities, and the next layers of who and what we may yet be. It is often a pain in the neck because it says, "Wake up. It's time to wake up. Don't go to sleep." I think it is also the lure of our becoming. That's what I think the soul is.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

this is cool. posting as a bookmark. thanks @highlander.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Hmm - Deepak Chopra (whose works I admire) and Sarah Ban Breathnach's definitions of the soul come very close to mine. I believe that the soul is our true self, which resides within a material body. The relationship between the soul and the body is sort of like that of a driver and his car: the driver depends on the car to take him wherever he needs to go, and the car acts according to the will of the driver.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Likes Betty Blue liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

The soul is a notion toward essentialism.

Our selves are primed for these attitudes: ever since birth, I've been me.

Thus, our soul is born.

I think it may have been said best in Cloud Atlas, our lives are not our own.
    Likes johnnyyukon, Cellmold, Qlip, Mane liked this post

I'm happy with Daniel Pink's definition.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

The soul is like this thing, ya know?

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.

The more you suffer, the more soul you earn. The best music comes from heroin addicts and such. Or people that have been through some other kind of wringer.

I gave her my heart but she wanted my soul.

Until you know that life is interesting - and find it so - you haven't found your soul. ~Geoffrey Fisher

Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come.
    ~Ellen DeGeneres

A beautiful woman delights the eye; a wise woman, the understanding; a pure one, the soul.
    ~Minna Antrim

The soul is that thing that tells you if you’re on the right path, or wrong path. Choose to ignore it, and things may get shitty.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Cellmold, gromit, countrygirl liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    The soul is like this thing, ya know?

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.

The more you suffer, the more soul you earn. The best music comes from heroin addicts and such. Or people that have been through some other kind of wringer.

I gave her my heart but she wanted my soul.

Until you know that life is interesting - and find it so - you haven't found your soul. ~Geoffrey Fisher

Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come.
    ~Ellen DeGeneres

A beautiful woman delights the eye; a wise woman, the understanding; a pure one, the soul.
    ~Minna Antrim

The soul is that thing that tells you if you’re on the right path, or wrong path. Choose to ignore it, and things may get shitty.
    I like this explanation thanks for sharing!
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8

I believe that people are three part beings, part eternal (Spirit), part temporal (body) and part a mix between the two (Soul).

First, there is the Spirit (Shen). Our spirits are eternal and non-corporeal. They are the truest and purest part of us. They retain eternal knowledge that is veiled or hindered upon entering a corporeall body. We may be awake or asleep to our true nature, but we are all Spirits. Spirits can neither be created nor destroyed. We are energy beings at our core.

Second, there is the body, or the vechile that transports the spirit during its journey through the mortal realm. The body is limited and fragile in comparison to the spirit but without it we can't operate in this physical world.

Thirdly, there is the soul, which retains our earthly intelligence, our temporal memories, our basic emotions and our current life force, sometimes called Chi. Unless the spirit remains in the body Chi cannot flow and if Chi doesn't flow, the body dies.

The soul is the result of Spirit and Flesh uniting. When a spirit leaves a body, the body decomposes, because there is no energy force to animate it. When the spirit leaves the body, it takes the knowledge of the "soul" with it. So, in a sense, the soul never dies, but eternally exists and is merged into our spirits as collective knowledge and experience. In some cases I speculate that a soul can leave some sort of energy signature behind, like an ethereal imprint or fossil do sorts, which accounts for "hauntings."

Basically, we never die. We just pass from Spirit realm to corporeal realm and back again. We cross over, we do not pass away. In the Cherokee language there is no word for good-bye because it is common knowledge that no one is ever really gone. I thought some of you might find that interesting.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14
    Likes Evee, countrygirl liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I believe that people are three part beings, part eternal (Spirit), part temporal (body) and part a mix between the two (Soul).

First, there is the Spirit (Shen). Our spirits are eternal and non-corporeal. They are the truest and purest part of us. They retain eternal knowledge that is veiled or hindered upon entering a corporeall body. We may be awake or asleep to our true nature, but we are all Spirits. Spirits can neither be created nor destroyed. We are energy beings at our core.

Second, there is the body, or the vechile that transports the spirit during its journey through the mortal realm. The body is limited and fragile in comparison to the spirit but without it we can't operate in this physical world.

Thirdly, there is the soul, which retains our earthly intelligence, our temporal memories, our basic emotions and our current life force, sometimes called Chi. Unless the spirit remains in the body Chi cannot flow and if Chi doesn't flow, the body dies.

The soul is the result of Spirit and Flesh uniting. When a spirit leaves a body, the body decomposes, because there is no energy force to animate it. When the spirit leaves the body, it takes the knowledge of the "soul" with it. So, in a sense, the soul never dies, but eternally exists and is merged into our spirits as collective knowledge and experience. In some cases I speculate that a soul can leave some sort of energy signature behind, like an ethereal imprint or fossil do sorts, which accounts for "hauntings."

Basically, we never die. We just pass from Spirit realm to corporeal realm and back again. We cross over, we do not pass away. In the Cherokee language there is no word for good-bye because it is common knowledge that no one is ever really gone. I thought some of you might find that interesting.
    I like this a lot.
    Likes Ene liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8

Thank you, @Evee
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14