User Tag List

First 1234 Last

We are meaning creating animals so the soul is a meaning we have created.

Since the Western Enlightenment we have learnt to test any meaning we create against evidence and reason.

And testing the soul against evidence and reason we find their is no evidence the soul even exists, never mind its qualities.

So a belief in the soul is blind faith that underlies the power structure of religious institutions.

And thank heavens, not only religious institutions, but all institutions in properous and developed countries, are loosing their power to hypnotise us.

The soul is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
    Likes Mane liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

This is a really cool thread. Thanks for starting it.

I would like to contribute this video which I think exemplifies how this sort of question might be answered in a symbolic way. It's an old blues song called, "What is the soul of a man(WOMAN)." I would have it be rewritten to include both genders but I think that it's implied that it does...it was written ages ago so we might excuse that nuance.

"i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Permabanned

*Cough*

*Cough*

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

The soul is to the entirety of the person as the mind is to the brain.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I find it to be a confusing and convoluted term. I don't use it, many conventions of what it "is" I simply disregard as nonsense.

Next please.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I believe that people are three part beings, part eternal (Spirit), part temporal (body) and part a mix between the two (Soul).

The soul is the result of Spirit and Flesh uniting.
    Interesting, I had had this idea just the other day, only I had interchanged the role of spirit and soul. I thought soul was the pure, eternal stuff we are made of. Pure consciousness. Body was the physical, lifeless stuff that just is there. Spirit is when the two combine, giving rise to the plethora of qualia and aesthetics that we experience.

You're probably more correct.
    Likes Ene liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

All of them kind of make sense, but I like the Jean Houston description. I think the soul prompts us on a different level from mere rationality. We have to have reason to survive in the physical plane, but my soul is the reason I felt at home in a lawn full of screaming Lana del Rey fans (one journalist described her concerts as a religious experience). Other people would be bored or annoyed. It's things like that, they mean something, it's how you recognize people who are on the same page, it's the thing that drives you, but it's something beyond personality. People of a similar vibration could have different personalities and serve different purposes. ..and from a Christian standpoint sure I could understand the explanation that it's that line to God, the 4G network, the place where the spirit resides. We can want things that aren't of the soul, we have that free will, but when we align to the needs of the soul it will eventually serve our highest best interest, and won't necessarily harm others, I think that's crucial, that it's kind of a love zone, but we can even twist things our soul wants into something about the ego. I think being human is this precarious balance of listening to our souls without our souls purpose becoming about the ego. That's why most people are hypocrites unless they're exceptionally advanced spiritually. I am not Hindu but am almost inclined to believe in reincarnation sometimes for that reason. Some people just seem to be old souls, people like Mother Teresa or the Dali Llama.
    Likes Evee, Ene liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I believe that people are three part beings, part eternal (Spirit), part temporal (body) and part a mix between the two (Soul).

First, there is the Spirit (Shen). Our spirits are eternal and non-corporeal. They are the truest and purest part of us. They retain eternal knowledge that is veiled or hindered upon entering a corporeall body. We may be awake or asleep to our true nature, but we are all Spirits. Spirits can neither be created nor destroyed. We are energy beings at our core.

Second, there is the body, or the vechile that transports the spirit during its journey through the mortal realm. The body is limited and fragile in comparison to the spirit but without it we can't operate in this physical world.

Thirdly, there is the soul, which retains our earthly intelligence, our temporal memories, our basic emotions and our current life force, sometimes called Chi. Unless the spirit remains in the body Chi cannot flow and if Chi doesn't flow, the body dies.

The soul is the result of Spirit and Flesh uniting. When a spirit leaves a body, the body decomposes, because there is no energy force to animate it. When the spirit leaves the body, it takes the knowledge of the "soul" with it. So, in a sense, the soul never dies, but eternally exists and is merged into our spirits as collective knowledge and experience. In some cases I speculate that a soul can leave some sort of energy signature behind, like an ethereal imprint or fossil do sorts, which accounts for "hauntings."

Basically, we never die. We just pass from Spirit realm to corporeal realm and back again. We cross over, we do not pass away. In the Cherokee language there is no word for good-bye because it is common knowledge that no one is ever really gone. I thought some of you might find that interesting.
    I like your description a lot.
    Likes Evee, Ene liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I dunno, but this is what it sounds like:

Warning: Do not listen if you don't like chills up your spine.

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I question the existence of the soul, and consequently none of those struck me as being overly profound.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was your consciousness. But blah blah.
    *Need enneagram questionnaire?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post2218641
    Likes Hard liked this post