User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 29

  1. #11
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokartride View Post
    Why, faith even has a place in science!!!
    I think that faith is incompatible with scientific skepticism.

    The way this is normally handled is to say that science and faith deal with entirely different domains. And each is valid within their own domain.

  2. #12
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think that faith is incompatible with scientific skepticism.

    The way this is normally handled is to say that science and faith deal with entirely different domains. And each is valid within their own domain.
    Exactly.

    Faith is belief without verifiable event. A construct assembled on the alogical. Religion is absent scientific motive. The quest for truth is of a spiritual - rather than physical - nature. Religion offers moralistic laws and bylaws - often dealing with issues of personal choice.

    Science deals with measurable fact. A theory is a cluster of observed natural phenomenon summarized into a concise principle - as to allow for independent evaluation. Theories are ever-changing and are not of absolute precision. Within theory, we find populations of hypotheses, coexisting to support their host theory - and offer a means for revision.

    It's those that do not understand this distinction that seek to believe that they are in competition.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    coexisting to support its host
    What's a host?

  4. #14
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    In the case of my post, I use host as a descriptive unit designed offer/receive sustenance to/from its residents.

    The exchange is symbiotic. Without hypotheses, we cannot have theory.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    16

    Default

    huh?

  6. #16
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

    And Science is based entirely on the Enlightenment and Reason.
    Except if it becomes Sciencism where dogma affects what is allowed to be researched and questioned and "heretics" are blacklisted. There are no panceas in life, no safe areas where guard against this sort of thing may be lowered.

  7. #17
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    It's really nothing special to say you need reason to be faithful. You need reason just to read a word or sentence and understand language. It doesn't per se mean that your faith is reasonable and rational, you just need those facilities to be faithfu,l as well as do anything else in life.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Except if it becomes Sciencism where dogma affects what is allowed to be researched and questioned and "heretics" are blacklisted. There are no panceas in life, no safe areas where guard against this sort of thing may be lowered.
    You say that every time the subject comes up. What do you mean exactly? Who are these "dogmatic" scientists?

  9. #19
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Good point from Sproul, though I can't see the assertion that faith and reason mutually exclude as anything more than a cheap shot.

    Clever fellow. Though I don't agree with every position RC Sproul defends, "Renewing Your Mind" is a morning regular of mine.

  10. #20
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Except if it becomes Sciencism where dogma affects what is allowed to be researched and questioned and "heretics" are blacklisted. There are no panceas in life, no safe areas where guard against this sort of thing may be lowered.
    Sure, and the other name of for Sciencism is pseudo science.

    For instance Creationism is pseudo science.

    And now the Creationists have moved to Intelligent Design which is also pseudo science.

    However I also think that to say that there are no safe areas where our guard may be lowered is a psychological defence. It is purely to guard the ego against imagined threats and is simply neurotic.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] NF females both drawn to and repulsed by NF males?
    By iwakar in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 11-29-2015, 04:01 PM
  2. MBTI Faith and the Ideal vs the Real
    By Kalach in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 08:35 PM
  3. The Ethics of Probability: A Poker Metaphor for Faith and Ethics
    By simulatedworld in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM
  4. The Enemies of Reason by Richard Dawkins
    By Sahara in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO