• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does your energy ever get drained around certain people?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I feel these things when someone might call out or stir up a part of me that I have rejected out of shame. Either a part I have tried to lock down and starve, or have painted over with a self-image. The felt compulsion is being torn between withdrawing and courting damnation by baring it all, these reactive extremes making it obvious that we're drawing close to a problem within me.

In cases where the other person actually is crossing a boundary, ironically I feel disinterested instead of invaded. It's easier in this situation to do something moderate: just decline to give the next detail and move on with the conversation. People are typically okay with that if it's not done to excess.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
at first sight he comes across as nice and diplomatic and laidback to people. It's only after you knew him for quite some time then you will realize he actually has a blunt side beneath his nice and diplomatic exterior.

So, you're saying his public persona is a facade? What does this mean to you in terms of Myers Briggs?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Asking a lot of questions like that of someone, to me suggests Ne. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
Asking a lot of questions like that of someone, to me suggests Ne. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I don't think it's just Ne alone, I think it's a combination of Ti+Ne.
I happened to know a few xNFPs in my life and they never do this to me. It's only the xNTPs who does this. And the weird thing is, although my INTP teacher love interrogating me non-stop, but at the end of the day, my ENTJ teacher actually understood me better than my INTP teacher. For example, I have anxiety, and my ENTJ teacher actually managed to accurately guess this without even me telling him, whereas my INTP teacher kept interrogating me non-stop but he is still unable to conclude that I have anxiety and he kept expanding more and more possibilities and his conclusion of me is getting more and more inaccurate. And the worse part about this is, sometimes, he will give me unsolicited advice about my life based on his inaccurate perception of me. He actually doesn't know much about me, and he kept jumping to conclusions about me, and then he starts giving me unsolicited advice based on his inaccurate perception of me. I guess this is what pissed me off most, his non-stop interrogation of me and his inaccurate perception of me. My INTP teacher for example, has always viewed me as an introvert because of how shy and quiet I can be in class. But he doesn't know that I have a people-oriented side to me as well. And he kept telling me to go outdoors more and be more social. But I am actually pretty social for an introvert, I actually do volunteering work during my free time and I am always joining clubs and signing up for classes, I am constantly meeting new people all the time and connecting with people all the time, I bet my INTP teacher doesn't even know that I have an extroverted side to me. So this is what I meant by his inaccurate perception of me, his conclusions of me is often way too off from who I really am. :dry:
So yeah, I believe it's his Ti+Ne combination that makes him this way. He is always analyzing things from a logical viewpoint and his mind kept expanding more and more possibilities until his conclusions started becoming more and more inaccurate.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
[MENTION=19552]Complexity[/MENTION]: you are projecting your discomfort with the questions into character flaws on the person asking them. I see this all the time, people attributing how THEY feel into something about the other person. It's about you, and the question better asked of yourself is, "Why am I so uncomfortable with the questions?" Additionally, you should be asking, "Why do I value people who come to the "right" conclusion about me?"

Why not be more forthcoming about yourself so people don't have to guess? You are setting up hoops and expecting others to jump through them and come to the same conclusions you have about yourself. Then you reward the hoop-jumpers for coming to those conclusions by declaring them the "better" person when in reality, your hoops ensure that only one conclusion can be reached. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Additionally, it would be nice to see you show some gratefulness that these teachers are trying to connect with you and give you advice, even if that advice is (in your opinion) unhelpful. You are very young and of course living in your own head, limited in ability to see it from other people's perspective very well (which is normal of course), and I think everything I've said will merely bounce off you with no impact. But if you can see this tendency even now, it will be a useful piece of knowledge about yourself in the future.

Good luck!

eta: as for the energy thing, it's normal to feel more tired after interaction with some people and not others. It has to do with a variety of factors, such as mental and emotional compatibility, how energy is used or shared, inner self-esteem and more. If I have time I'll come back and expand on that more.

unsomething

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I struggle around nobody but people who base their view of another person around arbitrary judgments of facts about that person's life status/history. (introverted sensors, sigh...)

Normally I wouldn't mind, I've just been through some emotionally rough times and my life has gotten to be all over the place, and I don't know how to handle people making zero allowance for that but also don't like to feel like I'm hiding information about myself.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I happened to know a few xNFPs in my life and they never do this to me. It's only the xNTPs who does this. And the weird thing is, although my INTP teacher love interrogating me non-stop, but at the end of the day, my ENTJ teacher actually understood me better than my INTP teacher. For example, I have anxiety, and my ENTJ teacher actually managed to accurately guess this without even me telling him, whereas my INTP teacher kept interrogating me non-stop but he is still unable to conclude that I have anxiety and he kept expanding more and more possibilities and his conclusion of me is getting more and more inaccurate. And the worse part about this is, sometimes, he will give me unsolicited advice about my life based on his inaccurate perception of me. He actually doesn't know much about me, and he kept jumping to conclusions about me, and then he starts giving me unsolicited advice based on his inaccurate perception of me. I guess this is what pissed me off most, his non-stop interrogation of me and his inaccurate perception of me. My INTP teacher for example, has always viewed me as an introvert because of how shy and quiet I can be in class. But he doesn't know that I have a people-oriented side to me as well. And he kept telling me to go outdoors more and be more social. But I am actually pretty social for an introvert, I actually do volunteering work during my free time and I am always joining clubs and signing up for classes, I am constantly meeting new people all the time and connecting with people all the time, I bet my INTP teacher doesn't even know that I have an extroverted side to me. So this is what I meant by his inaccurate perception of me, his conclusions of me is often way too off from who I really am. :dry:
So yeah, I believe it's his Ti+Ne combination that makes him this way. He is always analyzing things from a logical viewpoint and his mind kept expanding more and more possibilities until his conclusions started becoming more and more inaccurate.

I can relate to getting very agitated by the bolded. And I think it's actually a relatively common thing for INFJs to get agitated by this- we can tell when someone is generally misunderstanding a lot of things about what we say, and it's distressing when they don't pick up on the fact that they're agitating us with it (this has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum). It's hard for us to understand how others wouldn't pick up on something that seems obvious to us (that we're bothering/irritating someone), so we're at a loss as to how to remedy the problem in a considerate way: every option (which requires directly requesting some form of "please stop doing this") feels presumptuous and condescending. This is particularly difficult to do in the throes of actually being agitated- because if/when we issue "please stop doing this" statements (which feels very counter-intuitive in itself), we generally put a lot of effort in framing things to avoid sounding offensive, we typically need to feel like they are rational requests instead of thoughtless, accusatory and compulsive demands- and feeling emotionally charged makes this sometimes already very difficult task infinitely harder. When I see someone else effortless saying something like "I need you to back off" without making everyone involved feel uncomfortable/awkward <- that looks like a superpower to me. My usual approach is silently backing away/distancing myself- and yes, where it's not available to easily do this (because the person isn't picking up on visible cues that they're causing distress, and it's not easily available to avoid their presence), I usually find it incredibly exhausting to deal with them.

I think INFJs tend to feel like we're getting backed into a corner very easily this way. Even when we already understand the person isn't being oafish on purpose, it's still distressing- just like when someone accidentally steps on your toe, it still might cause a discomfort that makes it difficult to think clearly regardless of how much they "didn't mean to" step on your toe. It seems like other types struggle to understand how this could possibly be such a problem for us, because they don't have as difficult a time as we do coming up with some way to say "please stop this." (I'm going to admit I get touchy when people take a "this doesn't bother me, it's easy for me to deal with and therefore there's something unhealthy/wrong about you if it isn't easy for you" stance). And the fact that it often gets chalked up to paranoia or hypersensitivity is probably exactly what makes INFJs incredibly selective about who we talk to about things like this in the first place. But yes, I find it invasive (however inadvertent, it will still *feel* invasive) and draining.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Notice how his advice is based on HIS feelings about what you need rather than your feelings.

Also like to point out how there are no NTP's on your thread.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, this happens to me regularly. Some people I just don't "click" with - I know I have to tolerate them but sometimes it's tough and it makes me frustrated and tired. I know I should like them more, and I try to. Some of them I've even ended up as friends with, but if my relationship with them is unhealthy, it's not going in any other direction than downhill.

A certain ISTJ I know I think secretly gets on my nerves but I would never admit it to myself or anyone else.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENTP and ESFP would drain all of my energy very quickly.

Chthonic

Interesting thread. I have early unflattering encounters with people that show me very clearly who they prefer to be beneath the smiles and fakeness. I usually keep this information to myself and move on. With near 100% accuracy those same people will in time gain reputations for being what I found them to be. Even though for a (significant) time their popularity was near universal.

I'm a believer in vibes, although less as a form of psychism and more as the unconscious reading of subtle signals and the correct and interpretation of them. Giving them the feeling of being some kind of psychism. Now others can tell me I'm projecting all they like, but I don't think my projecting is strong enough to effect the behaviours of these people in my absence. ;)

Some people are better at this than others, I dont think it comes down to MBTI but street smarts. Now in terms of being drained? I am drained by the presence of just about everyone, including people I like. Proximity to people in small doses please.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Do you find your energy getting drained around certain people?

Why does this happen? What is the phenomenon behind this? Sometimes, I will encounter someone who seems like a nice person on the surface, but after interacting with them, I start feeling very agitated and upset. Why do I feel this way after interacting with them?

Like I have a teacher who seems like a nice person on the surface, he is always asking questions about my life, always showing concern for me, but I don't know why, after every interaction with him, my energy start getting sapped out and I start feeling very agitated and upset with him.

What does this feeling mean? Why does my energy get drained whenever I am around him?

It's not concern for you and it's not feeling drained. It's intrusive and creepy. There are people who are oblivious to what they are doing so I hope you are making your feelings known clearly (I would be at the stay the fuck away from me point). Everyone drains me to one degree or another. It's not a personal thing and people close to me know that but it's certainly offensive to others. I don't especially care though.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not concern for you and it's not feeling drained. It's intrusive and creepy. There are people who are oblivious to what they are doing

Agree. Do you think she should report him to an authority figure?

In my experience, these creepers are encouraged by nearly any interaction/non-interaction you have with them. Once they lock into you, not much you can do to make them stop. The most effective deterrent that I've found was getting it all out there in the open.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Agree. Do you think she should report him to an authority figure?

In my experience, these creepers are encouraged by nearly any interaction/non-interaction you have with them. Once they lock into you, not much you can do to make them stop. The most effective deterrent that I've found was getting it all out there in the open.

Yes, she should take it to someone with authority over the teacher but she should tell him to back the fuck off first. I think people like the teacher are more likely to prey on the people who are least likely to protest so - don't be one of those people.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can relate to getting very agitated by the bolded. And I think it's actually a relatively common thing for INFJs to get agitated by this- we can tell when someone is generally misunderstanding a lot of things about what we say, and it's distressing when they don't pick up on the fact that they're agitating us with it (this has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum). It's hard for us to understand how others wouldn't pick up on something that seems obvious to us (that we're bothering/irritating someone), so we're at a loss as to how to remedy the problem in a considerate way: every option (which requires directly requesting some form of "please stop doing this") feels presumptuous and condescending. This is particularly difficult to do in the throes of actually being agitated- because if/when we issue "please stop doing this" statements (which feels very counter-intuitive in itself), we generally put a lot of effort in framing things to avoid sounding offensive, we typically need to feel like they are rational requests instead of thoughtless, accusatory and compulsive demands- and feeling emotionally charged makes this sometimes already very difficult task infinitely harder. When I see someone else effortless saying something like "I need you to back off" without making everyone involved feel uncomfortable/awkward <- that looks like a superpower to me. My usual approach is silently backing away/distancing myself- and yes, where it's not available to easily do this (because the person isn't picking up on visible cues that they're causing distress, and it's not easily available to avoid their presence), I usually find it incredibly exhausting to deal with them.

I think INFJs tend to feel like we're getting backed into a corner very easily this way. Even when we already understand the person isn't being oafish on purpose, it's still distressing- just like when someone accidentally steps on your toe, it still might cause a discomfort that makes it difficult to think clearly regardless of how much they "didn't mean to" step on your toe. It seems like other types struggle to understand how this could possibly be such a problem for us, because they don't have as difficult a time as we do coming up with some way to say "please stop this." (I'm going to admit I get touchy when people take a "this doesn't bother me, it's easy for me to deal with and therefore there's something unhealthy/wrong about you if it isn't easy for you" stance). And the fact that it often gets chalked up to paranoia or hypersensitivity is probably exactly what makes INFJs incredibly selective about who we talk to about things like this in the first place. But yes, I find it invasive (however inadvertent, it will still *feel* invasive) and draining.
I've been thinking about the second paragraph of this post for a long while, because it doesn't seem universally INFJ to me. I wonder it has anything to do with types 5 and/or 9 in conjunction with INFJ?

I asked my INFJ mother if she related to this post -- and she said she did to an extent, but didn't say anything about invasiveness/etc. I got the impression that she sees what the first paragraph is describing as "just life" and doesn't let it get her down too much.

Here's what she wrote:
Yes, I pick up on things I think are obvious and no one else does, and I get antsy about it (why don't they stop what they're doing? Can't they tell it's bothering the other person?!) but I figure it's not really my business. With Dad, for example, I'll tell him after the fact ("that other person was uncomfortable; did you notice?") but not during -- that would be rude. Although sometimes i will jump in and try to change the subject or say "I'm going to get some punch and cookies!" in the hopes that I can divert things.

Should mention that she's a 1w2/2w1/6w7 (I think) and is very concrete/practical. She also has no problem whatsoever with asserting her needs as they relate to space, energy, and personal relationships -- something that I see as more related to 5 and 9, which is why I suggested those types earlier in the post. She still asserts herself in a very INFJ way -- e.g. "Getting punch and cookies" -- which is very effective w/r to telling everyone in the room that she sees the situation as a conflict, and it makes her uncomfortable.

Obviously I'm not an INFJ so I can only really speculate, and am mostly writing this post based on an Si vibe.

Last edited:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been thinking about the second paragraph of this post for a long while, because it doesn't seem universally INFJ to me. I wonder it has anything to do with types 5 and/or 9 in conjunction with INFJ?

I asked my INFJ mother if she related to this post -- and she said she did to an extent, but didn't say anything about invasiveness/etc. I got the impression that she sees what the first paragraph is describing as "just life" and doesn't let it get her down too much.

Well, to be clear- I wrote that I find it invasive, and that I think it’s an INFJ thing to feel agitated (though in retrospect, "especially bemused/stunned" would be more accurate) by this kind of behavior (specifically, the things I bolded in what I quoted in previous post) and/or to get agitated when someone presses on with a dialogue in which communication feels like it’s more of an uphill climb than it’s worth (which is why we often tag certain people as “incompatible”- there are just some people with whom communication regularly takes up more energy than it’s worth). Both of those things have been discussed enough that I felt comfortable saying they’re INFJ things (and as such, I used “we” instead of “I”). Whether or not other INFJs also find the somewhat relentless (as described by op) pressing forth invasive, I can’t say. (And yes, I suspect I find it particularly invasive on account of being an e5.)

Yes, I pick up on things I think are obvious and no one else does, and I get antsy about it (why don't they stop what they're doing? Can't they tell it's bothering the other person?!) but I figure it's not really my business. With Dad, for example, I'll tell him after the fact ("that other person was uncomfortable; did you notice?") but not during -- that would be rude. Although sometimes i will jump in and try to change the subject or say "I'm going to get some punch and cookies!" in the hopes that I can divert things.

In case it even matters: the bolded suggests to me we’re talking about different things. Like maybe she read this as being the context of watching it happen to someone else instead of being the person it’s happening to? That makes a big difference. It’s easier (not draining) to be an observer and notice it, because there’s no direct pressure to figure out how I can effectively avoid interaction without hurting the other person’s feelings. We might feel compelled to step in and intervene with some distraction/redirection to help the person (if we know them, and suspect they’d want the help)- but that’s still not the same thing as being directly in that position where someone is being rather relentless in pursuing dialogue whilst obviously (to me) not really hearing me or picking up on how anxious it’s making me.

Also- I assume the person in the op isn’t talking about interaction that can be avoided with a simple “I’m going to go grab a soda!” sort of diversion- because that’s like beginner’s Fe. I assume this person is talking about what happens AFTER the other person hasn’t picked up on these kinds of cues, when they keep pressing forth in spite of attempts to divert that have already been made and they need something more direct. It’s when those cues don’t work (and we can't avoid interaction) that we start feeling a little backed into an awkward corner- saying things directly (e.g. "I need you to stop asking me personal questions.") often feels melodramatic and/or unnecessarily harsh.