• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?

Do you believe ghosts are real?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20075]Skinny-Love[/MENTION] and [MENTION=22521]Bullet[/MENTION], really good and interesting conversation going here! You both bring up really good points. I would never claim to know everything (especially about a bottomless topic like the spiritual world) so I'm glad for your posts and thought provoking questions/ideas.

The reason I said the spiritual world should not be messed with is because it is real-- I don't mean to negate that by disregarding the term "ghosts". I guess what I believe though, is that the spirits of people do not stir from the grave on their own or for good reasons. I believe it's foolish and evil to attempt that, but (as you've pointed out) I really have no idea if it's possible, or if demonic principalities just deceive those that try into thinking they're powerful enough to do so. The one thing I do know is that seeking the spirits of the dead is brushing shoulders with the demonic, and is a gateway for evil-- which is why God told us not to mess with it.

You both have answered each other pretty legitimately so I don't want to butt in, but do want to thank you for the dialogue and scripture references. This subject needs to be talked about more, people are either dim or fearful about it and Satan takes advantage of both ignorance and fear.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many people have claimed to have had out-of-body experiences while their body was in a state of unconsciousness. Some have recalled details that would seemingly corroborate that claim. Similarly, remote-viewing experiments have been conducted on individuals who demonstrated remarkable accuracy at describing unknown locations from a distance. This was exploited heavily by both the axis and allies during WWII for intelligence purposes.
These things occur when people's bodies are still more or less fully intact, and when they're capable, therefore, of engaging in the information processing that is involved in seeing things at a distance or imagining that they've done so. As yet, no one has been rotting in the grave for 5 years and given testimony about how they saw things several miles away. If, by the time you reach the grave, you're capable of seeing anything, you would probably see it with even less clarity and sense of self than that which lies in the consciousness of a potted plant. At that point, the tablet on which your identity is inscribed has undergone severe damage and is no longer being read. By then, you're in no more a state to be projecting a coherent sense of self like that embodied by a ghost than anyone else, alive or dead, who has undergone severe brain damage.

Tellenbach said:
Some people (I read something about Nicola Tesla getting some of his ideas through meditation.) believe that all knowledge is stored in a mass consciousness that can be accessed. Look up Akashic records.
I'm familiar with the Akashic Records, and while I think it's a fun idea, I don't think they exist or that a dead person would be in any condition to make use of them.

Bullet

These things occur when people's bodies are still more or less fully intact, and when they're capable, therefore, of engaging in the information processing that is involved in seeing things at a distance or imagining that they've done so. As yet, no one has been rotting in the grave for 5 years and given testimony about how they saw things several miles away. If, by the time you reach the grave, you're capable of seeing anything, you would probably see it with even less clarity and sense of self than that which lies in the consciousness of a potted plant. At that point, the tablet on which your identity is inscribed has undergone severe damage and is no longer being read. By then, you're in no more a state to be projecting a coherent sense of self like that embodied by a ghost than anyone else, alive or dead, who has undergone severe brain damage.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here. Even among people who believe in the existence of ghosts, there is debate about what that specifically constitutes, such as the soul, spirit, mind, etc... Some believe in a spiritual residue, often involving a violent death, that isn't necessarily acting in accordance with consciousness, like a tape being played over and over again on repeat. We know that everything is made of energy. Where that energy goes when our physical bodies deteriorate, nobody can say for sure. Maybe some of it gets left behind. I was watching a documentary recently about the probability of other dimensions in regard to quantum mechanics, and teleportation (which is already being studied and replicated), ideas that were merely considered science fiction years ago. It's too early to discount possibilities when our knowledge of the universe is rather incomplete at this point.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe people are capable of believing everything.