User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe ghosts are real?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 4.35%
  • No

13 56.52%
  • I'm not sure.

9 39.13%
First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

People don't like feeling that they don't know things and can't influence things.

The true answer to things is often complicated and requires a high investment for comprehension.

Ghosts imitate concepts people already know and play into cognitive biases like false positive bias and anthropomorphic bias, etc...

EDIT: I should add that ghosts are an ancient idea (probably due to us not having a realistic idea of much of anything back in the day) and have remained a failure popular one. That means it is also an inherited idea. People don't just invent the idea of ghosts on their own, the draw it from the culture, the culture keeps it alive.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

When a bird flies on my approach, what does the object of their fear appear as?

We believe in ghosts much the same - there is an abstraction from the objective stimulus that exists in our minds as a conglomeration from all we should fear (or hold dear).

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Hard
    The biggest likely culprit behind ghosts is the human brain.
    Or they could be holographic projections from an advanced but mischievous alien intelligence.

Anecdotal evidence is widely regarded and known to be unreliable.
    I've also seen non-anecdotal evidence of ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by chubber
    I just wish I could really sit down and have a conversation with one. You know what I mean?
    Play around with a ouija board and let us know if it works.

@kyuuei great post but do you believe in ghosts?
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Or they could be holographic projections from an advanced but mischievous alien intelligence.
    This is exactly what I was trying to make a distinction about in regards to Occam's razor. Which of these is more likely? We have seen no evidence so far that alien races exist, just the remote possibility that they do. Granted, it's almost a given that life exists outside our planet with recent research combined with the vastness of space. Intelligent life though, we know little on the likelyhood. The fact of the matter is, that scenario has just so much complexity, and so many assumptions that it's simply not worth regarding with much weight.

However, we DO know far more about what the human brain is capable of. For this reason this is the much more logical conclusion to think that this is the result of the mind, and this is what should be investigated. Weight needs to be given to each scenario based on its impact. Knowing this, it's actually illogical to consider it's a holographic projection.

I've also seen non-anecdotal evidence of ghosts.
    You mean personally? Such as?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

This is exactly what I was trying to make a distinction about in regards to Occam's razor.
    Yeah, I agree it's unlikely to be aliens messing with us for sport; it's more likely time traveling ESFPs.

You mean personally? Such as?
    Electronic voice phenomena (EVPs) and ghost studies.

PHOTONIC MEASUREMENT OF APPARENT PRESENCE OF SPIRIT USING A COMPUTER AUTOMATED SYSTEM
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Something is amiss here. We know that roughly 40% of Americans believe in ghosts and while I know that this forum isn't exactly representative of the general population, I still expect a couple of "yes" responses to the poll (especially given the greater proportion of INFJs here). I suspect that many are afraid to admit they believe in ghosts for fear of ridicule. It's a private poll; don't be scared.

I'm not scared. I believe. By the authority of the one true almighty God, Lord Jesus Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit, I command them to go. That sends them packing back to outer darkness. It works.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

great post but do you believe in ghosts?
    I haven't been given much reason to or not to.. I'd like to think they exist, because it validates a lot of things in our lives.. I'm not positive I know for sure, and I don't pretend to know for sure either way. I haven't seen one, but I've had strange things happen, so the short answer is "Yes" but with a "kind of" disclaimer.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

didn't they just make a movie about that study you linked? saving to read for later, thanks for sharing.

i think most people who believe in ghosts do it for reasons kyuuei described, which end up being acceptably credible and logically consistent within their own framework/situation.
      i haven’t read this particular study and can’t make claims about their methodological strength but i’ve seen a couple studies on this topic recently and think they are very cool.
        The evolution of superstitious and superstition-like behaviour

basically, superstitions and superstitious behavior look like just another form of pattern recognizing behavior with an evolutionary payout, similar in their own way to rationality and other exclusive systems of thought, and are most likely something we would see in any organism with selection pressure in this area.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by toluene
    didn't they just make a movie about that study you linked?
    I'm not aware of any movie made on that subject, but "The Conjuring" is supposed to be based on a true story. I haven't seen it but if I see talking dolls or rocking chairs rocking by themselves, I can imagine that it'd change my world view.