User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 57

  1. #1

    Default How does religion affect the development of a personality type?

    No religion in particular, and no type in particular.

    I will use Christianity (in general) as an example. Gimmicks like "What Would Jesus Do?" and general encouragement to reflect the "nature of Jesus".

    Is it possible that some religions command a person to emulate a certain personality that can be classified with typology?

    And how would such religions affect an individual of different types?

  2. #2
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,335

    Default

    I wonder more about the reverse: how personality type influences one's religious development. There have already been several threads touching on that, though.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I wonder more about the reverse: how personality type influences one's religious development. There have already been several threads touching on that, though.
    I'm sure certain types are more prone to be areligious, but I'm thinking more in terms of a type that was brought up in a highly religious environment. From their very childhood their epistemological foundation would be the religion they inherit from their caretakers. I am guessing that certain types are also more prone to deconvert as they grow older.

    The main question I have is: is it possible that one's religious upbringing could skew an individual's personality type in a significant way? And if yes, how to tell the difference between their preference and what they think they should prefer (in terms of cognitive functions)?

  4. #4
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephsharik View Post
    I'm sure certain types are more prone to be areligious, but I'm thinking more in terms of a type that was brought up in a highly religious environment. From their very childhood their epistemological foundation would be the religion they inherit from their caretakers. I am guessing that certain types are also more prone to deconvert as they grow older.

    The main question I have is: is it possible that one's religious upbringing could skew an individual's personality type in a significant way? And if yes, how to tell the difference between their preference and what they think they should prefer (in terms of cognitive functions)?
    Dunno if you ever saw this, but it's Yeardley's study in 1985 on the ICC religious group (which some have labeled as a cult). He tracked personality changes in some of the mainline denominations as well as six orgs that were seen as cultish. For the ICC, it looks like there was a clear shift towards the ESFJ personality type from whatever original types existed, and the head of the cult claimed when hearing about the results that this just showed that Jesus was an ESFJ.

    The Discipling Dilemma, Chapter 2

    In contrast to the mainlines:
    ...The first result of this study to be discussed is the observation that a great majority of the members of the Boston Church of Christ changed psychological type scores in the past, present, and future versions of the MBTI. Among the 835 individuals who took all three forms of the MBTI, less than five percent showed no change at all and less than seven percent had the same past and future type. Among the rest, a comparison of past and future types showed that almost 20 percent changed on one MBTI scale, 35 percent changed on two, over 26 percent changed on three, and over 12 percent changed on all four scales, thus experiencing a total reversal of type. The mean number of scale changes was 2.18 among the 835 members of the Boston Church of Christ who took all three forms of the MBTI. The present distribution was significantly different from the past distribution. The difference between past and future type distributions was highly significant.

    A second result of this study that must be noticed is that the observed changes in psychological type scores were not random since there was a clear convergence in a single type. Ten of the 16 types show a steady decline in the percentage who came out as that type in the past, present, and future versions of the MBTI. Three transitional types show an increase from past to present and then a sharp decline in the future outcomes. There were three popular types in this study: ESFJ, ESTJ, and ENFJ.

    There was a steady increase in the percentage who came out with these three type indications in the past, present, and future results Percentages are figured separately for males and females since male and female distributions differ on the thinking-feeling scale. In the past, present, and future results, the percentage of males who came out ESFJ went from 2.58 to 26.37 to to 54.23 while the percentages for females went from 5.10 to 34.31 to 53.48. ESTJs differ from ESFJs only on the thinking-feeling scale. The percentage of males who scored as ESTJ went from 7.73 to 15.92 to 20.37 while the percentages for females went from 4.67 to 13.81 to 23.04. ENFJs differ from ESFJs only on the sensing-intuition scale. The percentages of males who came out ENFJ went from 1.29 to 4.73 to 14.81, while the percentages for females went from 0.64 to 3.97 to 12 17....
    Yes, this study is mostly looking at sects already seen as cult-like, but basically in a religious organization (which typically presents certain behaviors as preferred and others as needing to be shunned/abandoned) you're going to see some degree of personality shaping, just like you'll see it in a family context as well where parents in authority are raising their children to behave in a certain way.

    I think it's a known difficulty for people who came from controlling families and/or organizations (e.g., religious) to determine which things are "them" naturally and which things they were shaped into.

    Of course, personality type also impacts religious perception and values.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #5
    brush off the lolcows asynartetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    9,791

    Default

    So how might one's type influence their interest in different religious schools of thought as they come of age?

    For me, taoism and zen were always the most appealing.
    There is a fine line between being prejudiced against an entire demographic and disagreeing with the way the system works. -asynartetic

    A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

    Keep your pimp hand strong. -Bertrand Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    I'm pretty sure the best way to spot pseudo-intellectualism is to see someone bring up the term in a conversation.

  6. #6
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Enneagram
    369 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    4,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    For the ICC, it looks like there was a clear shift towards the ESFJ personality type from whatever original types existed, and the head of the cult claimed when hearing about the results that this just showed that Jesus was an ESFJ.
    Oh, shit. More forum fodder.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  7. #7
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, this study is mostly looking at sects already seen as cult-like, but basically in a religious organization (which typically presents certain behaviors as preferred and others as needing to be shunned/abandoned) you're going to see some degree of personality shaping, just like you'll see it in a family context as well where parents in authority are raising their children to behave in a certain way.

    I think it's a known difficulty for people who came from controlling families and/or organizations (e.g., religious) to determine which things are "them" naturally and which things they were shaped into.
    This will happen in any situation where a person must function for a long time under strict external constraints. It can be hard to remember or discover who the "real you" is. Seems this would be a key component of brainwashing.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #8
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This will happen in any situation where a person must function for a long time under strict external constraints. It can be hard to remember or discover who the "real you" is. Seems this would be a key component of brainwashing.
    Yup, and it is something that can happen in any institution depending on how it's run and it also can happen without the people in charge even meaning to (or perhaps even thinking it's a positive rather than a detriment).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #9
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,466

    Default

    Personality type is largely, but not exclusively, determined by genetics and child rearing practices.

    We can't change our genetics except through Eugenics, but we can change our child rearing practices.

    And indeed over history our child rearing practices have improved, particularly recently in prosperous countries.

    But we still see a whole spread of child rearing practices in the 21st century, from child sacrifice we see in the Islamic State, to child abuse we see in Roman Catholic Church and other institutions, to authoritarian control of children, to the helping mode of child rearing.

    And each form of child rearing is an improvement on the previous form of child rearing.

    And interestingly, the various forms of chlld rearing lead to various psycho-classes, from the paranoid, to the abusing, to the controlling, to the empathic and creative.

  10. #10

    Default

    When I was baptized with the Holy Spirit at church, I physically felt an impartation of power that the Bible talks about. I would describe it as a supernatural high that goes on and on and leads.

    I'm not a perfect person. My head isn't perfect. However, my heart feels strongly led to do right by people; including people that hurt me. I feel with all of my heart, God loves everyone, unconditionally.

    Jesus truly was an amazing man.
    Greater love has no one than this: to lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)

    Before I received the Holy Spirit, I wasn't that way. I'm not who I was.
    Likes hav liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Does Economy Measure the Standard of Living?
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 06:55 PM
  2. Curiosity - how does it affect you.
    By TenebrousReflection in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 03:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO