• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does religion affect the development of a personality type?

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, my fair-skinned brother.

Yes, I take supplements to remedy that. Have you heard of Joseph Prince? He's right on and probably ENTP. If I lived in Singapore, my pastor would be Joseph Prince. :heart:
Joseph Prince is sexy but he is inconsistent in his own teachings and contradicts the Bible... This is coming from an atheist.

LonestarCowgirl

Joseph Prince is sexy but he is inconsistent in his own teachings and contradicts the Bible... This is coming from an atheist.

I'd like to debate your detailed perspective on Joseph Prince; where to begin? :wink:

I'll start with sexy. Prince's hair has attractive volume and style. His charisma is magnetic.

Prince teaches words and literal meanings from the Bible in Greek and Hebrew in proper context. He has a way of teaching pure, unadulterated grace from the Bible that leaves no room for condemnation or any other faith-robbing thoughts that keep people feeling separated from God. What happens when people feel separated from God? They chase empty feelings to fill the God-size hole inside.

Moreover, Prince teaches from the Bible about how Jesus died for sinners, not perfect people. Religion is man-made and brainwashes people into thinking that we win favor with God through right *doing* but that is a perverted, self-righteous misinterpretation of the Bible. Jesus did the doing for us on the cross; he was judged and punished (in our place) for all of our sins: past, present, and future. Grace isn't earned. Grace is a free gift.

:soapbox:

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd like to debate your detailed perspective on Joseph Prince; where to begin? :wink:

I'll start with sexy. Prince's hair has attractive volume and style. His charisma is magnetic.

Prince teaches words and literal meanings from the Bible in Greek and Hebrew in proper context. He has a way of teaching pure, unadulterated grace from the Bible that leaves no room for condemnation or any other faith-robbing thoughts that keep people feeling separated from God. What happens when people feel separated from God? They chase empty feelings to fill the God-size hole inside.

Moreover, Prince teaches from the Bible about how Jesus died for sinners, not perfect people. Religion is man-made and brainwashes people into thinking that we win favor with God through right *doing* but that is a perverted, self-righteous misinterpretation of the Bible. Jesus did the doing for us on the cross; he was judged and punished (in our place) for all of our sins: past, present, and future. Grace isn't earned. Grace is a free gift.

Amen, its just that he can be translated to saying that by faith alone you are saved but as the bureaucratic apostle Paul has to say "show me your works without your faith or your faith without your works...."

stephsharik

"God-sized hole"........pssshhhhhh :doh:

LonestarCowgirl

"God-sized hole"........pssshhhhhh :doh:
I want to be respectful. If I come across as condescending at any point here, that's not my intention; please have mercy.

Amen, its just that he can be translated to saying that by faith alone you are saved but as the bureaucratic apostle Paul has to say "show me your works without your faith or your faith without your works...."
Hmmm, looks like James 2:17. When I consider the greater context, it appears James is describing faith in action; a supernatural phenomenon that occurs when one is 'walking in the spirit' or the Holy Spirit is working through a believer. I don't see any mention of atoning benefits or adding to what Jesus did on Calvary.

Let's explore an even greater context. Remember in John 8 where people were judging a women in adultery and Jesus told the people that whoever was without sin may cast the first stone? Then Jesus said, "Woman, where are those your accusers? has no man condemned you?" She said, "No Lord." And Jesus said, "then neither do I condemn you: go, and sin no more." He did that because he knew he would bear her sins on the cross. By extending undeserved, unmerited Grace to her, He empowered her to "go and sin no more".
For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. (2 Corinthians 5:14)

Romans explains when one has a revelation of God's grace and unmerited favor, sin no longer has dominion over them.
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. (Romans 6:14)​

There are no discrepancies here; we are saved through faith, not works, lest any man should boast. Overwhelmingly the Bible tells us that we are saved through faith alone apart from works.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Eph. 2:8-9).

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Rom. 4:5).

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life." (Titus 3:5-7)

Romans 3:20 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight for by the law is the knowledge of sin."

Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

John 3:15-16, 36 "That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."​

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to be respectful. If I come across as condescending at any point here, that's not my intention; please have mercy.

Hmmm, looks like James 2:17. When I consider the greater context, it appears James is describing faith in action; a supernatural phenomenon that occurs when one is 'walking in the spirit' or the Holy Spirit is working through a believer. I don't see any mention of atoning benefits or adding to what Jesus did on Calvary.

Let's explore an even greater context. Remember in John 8 where people were judging a women in adultery and Jesus told the people that whoever was without sin may cast the first stone? Then Jesus said, "Woman, where are those your accusers? has no man condemned you?" She said, "No Lord." And Jesus said, "then neither do I condemn you: go, and sin no more." He did that because he knew he would bear her sins on the cross. By extending undeserved, unmerited Grace to her, He empowered her to "go and sin no more".
For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. (2 Corinthians 5:14)

Romans explains when one has a revelation of God's grace and unmerited favor, sin no longer has dominion over them.
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. (Romans 6:14)​

There are no discrepancies here; we are saved through faith, not works, lest any man should boast. Overwhelmingly the Bible tells us that we are saved through faith alone apart from works.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Eph. 2:8-9).

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Rom. 4:5).

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life." (Titus 3:5-7)

Romans 3:20 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight for by the law is the knowledge of sin."

Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

John 3:15-16, 36 "That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."​

Doesn't change the fact that people still have to live by the two commandments Jesus set in place besides making disciples, the point of the religion is to give "hope" into peoples lives through the act of brainwashing them under the fluorescent water of grace.

LonestarCowgirl

Doesn't change the fact that people still have to live by the two commandments Jesus set in place besides making disciples, the point of the religion is to give "hope" into peoples lives through the act of brainwashing them under the fluorescent water of grace.

Your fluorescent waters provided me inspiration! :yesss: I see it now! Faith without works is dead if one takes on the commission to share the gospel. Works expressed in love would be absolutely necessary to draw people to Christ. Jesus said, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness." (Jeremiah 31:3)

I believe that's the proper way to approach James 2:17 because in the scripture preceding Col 1:24 Paul has a high view of Christ's redeeming work. Paul understands Christ's redemptive work to be finished, completed, and perfected.

Brandym7

MBTI Type
ENFP
Religion and Personality Type and inaccurate quotes from an ENFPer

Actually, that quote was from James and not Paul. Paul is not the only writer of the New Testament as many seem to believe, if you listen to the preachers now a days. What James was saying is, we cannot earn our salvation by serving or doing good works, as obeying God. But such actions show we are genuinely committed to God having accepted Jesus death on the cross for our salvation. Deeds of loving service are not a substitute for, but rather a verification of, our faith in Christ.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

What i read is that Jesus died so i can go out and do whatever i want...no need to follow him...he has already done it.

Free-for-all!!!!!!!!!! No reprecussions!!!!!!!!!

Actually i think there is right and wrong doing, but i dont think "religious" people are any better at determining what is right and what is wrong.

Lark

No religion in particular, and no type in particular.

I will use Christianity (in general) as an example. Gimmicks like "What Would Jesus Do?" and general encouragement to reflect the "nature of Jesus".

Is it possible that some religions command a person to emulate a certain personality that can be classified with typology?

And how would such religions affect an individual of different types?

My religion is part of what makes me awesome, none of that what would jesus do or jesus nature or whatever crap in my religion.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What i read is that Jesus died so i can go out and do whatever i want...no need to follow him...he has already done it.

Actually i think there is right and wrong doing, but i dont think "religious" people are any better at determining what is right and what is wrong.

Yeah. That is a common joke. Simpsons did it! It would be an inaccurate simplification. The Bible has context and exegesis that often gets ignored for shock value cherry picking of verses. Ghandi said, I like your Christ not your Christians.

Well, yes. Christians don't have a monopoly on being good or right. Major tenet is that Christianity teaches that all are imperfect. It's sort of the whole point of Jesus. lol.

To expect Christians to be better? Is like the ultimate deception. It's not about Christians but about Christ. (Ghandi had a point!). Christians are just trying to live according to their beliefs and because they view themselves doing this or believing that and being saved, then anyone who isn't looks at it like, "why do you think you're better than me?" Well, they aren't. It's not exactly mind-blowing.

StrawberryBoots

Did someone post ten commandments? I don't see any religious folks here telling you what's right and wrong. You have a free will, do what you want. Faith is a personal choice that's not static. Throughout one's lifetime, their faith will change and grow, get weaker or stronger. For that reason, what's right for one, isn't necessarily right for someone else. This is also mentioned in the book of Romans.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did someone post ten commandments? I don't see any religious folks here telling you what's right and wrong. You have a free will, do what you want. Faith is a personal choice that's not static. Throughout one's lifetime, their faith will change and grow, get weaker or stronger. For that reason, what's right for one, isn't necessarily right for someone else. This is also mentioned in the book of Romans.

Religious people constantly tell others whats right and wrong. :shrug: i agree with you...its not common in religious groups to believe that though. Herd mentality is normal as they try to create a cookie cutter set of rules to follow.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an ESFJ and I am an atheist. I have been an atheist all my life. I have always known in my gut that God doesn't exist. I have been told since kindergarten, I was wrong for believing that. If super traditional ESFJ can be pretty much born atheist (and lived in a religious country) it should be clear that type has very little to do with religion and vice versa. I have never believed anyone who told me about God or the afterlife. I knew a super religious ENTJ. Religion doesn't affect type at all.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Religious people constantly tell others whats right and wrong. :shrug: i agree with you...its not common in religious groups to believe that though. Herd mentality is normal as they try to create a cookie cutter set of rules to follow.

I just want my secular government back. I want religion of all kinds kept out of policy and legislation, it's the first line of the 1st Amendment for that reason.

StrawberryBoots

Religion is a money making business. It pays to tell people they're going to hell if they don't follow the law and attend church. In some cases, people are told they're going to hell if they're not a member of a specific church. I call this man-made religion.

I'm Christian. I don't subscribe to any one church or denomination. I study the Bible for myself. I enjoy hearing commentary from various people.

You'll notice the Christians that believe in grace/unmerited favor, they seem to study the Bible on their own; they're some of the kindest, humblest, most genuine folks. I think so! :)

Earlier, I think you mentioned something about doing whatever one wants and still going to heaven because Jesus died. I see it differently, I admire God so much, I want to be like him. I'm only speaking for myself here and how the Holy Spirit has transformed me, and because I understand that I don't have to earn God's love, I feel free to go to him, my loving Father, regardless of what I've done.

(As I mentioned earlier, faith is a personal choice. I've been cruelly rejected by many religious Christians that don't agree with my interpretation of the Bible or my spiritual experiences. Why do I have to share the same faith/beliefs for them to accept me and be kind? That part hurts me.)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Faith is a personal choice that's not static. Throughout one's lifetime, their faith will change and grow, get weaker or stronger. For that reason, what's right for one, isn't necessarily right for someone else. This is also mentioned in the book of Romans.
If only more believers would share this perspective.

I just want my secular government back. I want religion of all kinds kept out of policy and legislation, it's the first line of the 1st Amendment for that reason.
Same here.

Lark

Yeah. That is a common joke. Simpsons did it! It would be an inaccurate simplification. The Bible has context and exegesis that often gets ignored for shock value cherry picking of verses. Ghandi said, I like your Christ not your Christians.

Well, yes. Christians don't have a monopoly on being good or right. Major tenet is that Christianity teaches that all are imperfect. It's sort of the whole point of Jesus. lol.

To expect Christians to be better? Is like the ultimate deception. It's not about Christians but about Christ. (Ghandi had a point!). Christians are just trying to live according to their beliefs and because they view themselves doing this or believing that and being saved, then anyone who isn't looks at it like, "why do you think you're better than me?" Well, they aren't. It's not exactly mind-blowing.

:rofl:

Christians are humans, usually human, all too human at that, especially given that its a creed which attracts people who feel they are in need of forgiveness.

Christ, well now, dude was the literal son of God, an incarnation of God, God incarnate.

Sort of unsurprising that run of the mill human types dont measure up to that :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Well thank God someone is... FFS. :dry:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm an ESFJ and I am an atheist. I have been an atheist all my life. I have always known in my gut that God doesn't exist. I have been told since kindergarten, I was wrong for believing that. If super traditional ESFJ can be pretty much born atheist (and lived in a religious country) it should be clear that type has very little to do with religion and vice versa. I have never believed anyone who told me about God or the afterlife. I knew a super religious ENTJ. Religion doesn't affect type at all.

I'd not worry about it, you're only human, the great thing about being human? You can always change if you want to.

- - - Updated - - -

Its hardly Iran. :dry:

Lark

If only more believers would share this perspective.

Same here.

Jesus is on the record saying in his day that the most religious people around "they honour me with their lips but their hearts are far from me", so there's that.

Plus, it used to be an old saying that the devil could quote scripture when he wants to, one of the things about the general decline of religosity is that there has been a lot of value which has been lost altogether and is unlikely to be rediscovered by present or future generations as they get more and more alienated with what remains or is referred to by false friend and foe alike as religion.