• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Secularism became the new Protestantism

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
An intriguing article that echoes some thoughts I've been having about the matter for some time.

From The American Conservative:

A Secular Age?

Liberalism is the latest form of Protestant religion, practiced from the academy to the culture wars.

An excerpt...

In a word, both books are stories about the “sacred” nature of what we often call “secularism.” Bottum speaks of the decline of Mainline Protestantism and its replacement by the “Post-Protestant” denizens of academe, journalism, entertainment, business, most Protestant religious outside Evangelicalism, many liberal-leaning Catholics and non-Christians, and broad swaths of “non-elites” who have been shaped by these many leaders of culture and opinion. Smith writes of one segment of this population—sociologists—who are the embodiment of what Bottum calls the Post-Protestant “poster-children.” They are what we typically call “secular.” Both these books call into question the purported a-religiosity of this “secularism,” but rather point to the specifically sectarian nature of this particular form of “secularity”—not so much “Post-Protestant,” as Bottum describes, but Protestant after God.

What struck me through my juxtaposed reading of these two books is that they together tell the story of where Protestantism went and what Protestantism became when it ceased to be a “religion.” Bottum rightly focuses on the role of Walter Rauschenbusch in the development of Protestantism away from a “religious” religion and toward a “secular” religion. Rauschenbusch’s promotion of the “social gospel” aimed to turn Christians away from considerations of original sin, the baleful influence of Satan and temptations of evil, the failings of the human will, personal piety and prayer, and the gift of grace and redemption ultimately through Christ, and instead toward the overcoming of “social sin” and what he called “social salvation” and “the progressive regeneration of social life.” Rauschenbusch and prominent Protestants of his generation—including John Dewey, Herbert Croly, Jane Addams, and many other minor players in varied positions throughout society—helped to make Protestantism into a social and political project, even while taking it out of the churches. That process is what we call “secularization,” but it’s a deeply and distinctively religious and especially Protestant form of “secularism.”

Christian Smith fills in the express commitments of this purportedly secular, yet deeply “sacred project.” This unchurched (yet highly institutionalized) new-yet-old religion seeks to realize “the emancipation, equality, and moral affirmation of all human beings as autonomous, self-directing, individual agents (who should be) out to live their lives as they personally so desire, by constructing their own favored identities, entering and exiting relationships as they choose, and equally enjoying the gratification of experiential, material, and bodily pleasures” (pp. 7-8; Smith’s emphasis).

Smith, like Bottum, notes the influence of early American pragmatists and progressives, as well as an ungainly alliance of modern “-isms” such as Marxism, Freudianism, feminism, post-modernism, etc. But he is also quite explicit regarding the ways of a kind of shadow Christianity: this “sacred, spiritual project parallels that of (especially Protestant) Christianity in its structure of beliefs, interests, and expectations,” including shared emphases upon moral equality and dignity, self-direction and free will, and a strongly moralistic streak about how humans ought to live (p. 18). Smith then claims that “it would not be wrong to say that sociology’s project represents essentially a secularized version of the Christian gospel and worldview,” which perhaps misstates (in similar ways to Bottum in his insistence of calling this same class “Post-Protestant”) the nature of the belief. For, each would acknowledge, it’s not merely a secular belief, but in fact a very specific set of beliefs holding that human efforts can now bring about an earthly salvation. It is still deeply biblical—without the Bible—and Christian—without Christ—and salvific—without heaven—and millennial—without the Second Coming. It is, in effect, where Protestantism went, and what it became, after it moved out of the Mainline churches and into the modern research universities and the glitzy Richard Florida cities and the tony suburbs—where it became fashionable to be “spiritual but not religious.”

“Post-Protestantism” is not in fact really “post-”religious at all, but simply a new manifestation of Protestantism (now not limited to Protestants, of course) that now exists wholly outside the churches and instead has become exclusively a political, social, and educational project, albeit one with decidedly millennialist aims to transform the world (what would have once been called to “usher in the Kingdom of God”). What we call “secularism” isn’t just a world where “God is dead.” In fact, it’s the very opposite of what Nietzsche expected (and perhaps hoped would come to pass) in a world After God. It is not a world of pitiless ubermenschen who snuff out all remnants of Christian pity, imposing instead a new order of Roman-like rule of the strong. As Terry Eagleton has pointed out, “secularists” aren’t Nietzschean at all; but where Eagleton accuses them of living inconsistently with their own post-Divine presuppositions, Bottum and Smith help us see that in fact their inspiration isn’t Nietzsche in the first place, but rather Rauschenbusch and Croly and Dewey and Rorty and Rawls. Whatever their religious origins and identities and even non-religious claims, they are still deeply Protestant, even if they have now explicitly protested Protestantism itself.

Both books acknowledge the deeply Protestant nature and origins of this new “sacred/secular” order, but don’t altogether elaborate the ways in which this is the case. But, at base, Smith’s description helps us to discern its theological core. The aims of the “emancipation,” “equality”, “autonomy,” “self-direction” of agents who live out their lives as “they personally so desire” is the natural and inevitable end-station of the Protestant embrace of individualized belief. What begins as a breaking away from The Church as a series of institutional divorces, eventually devolves into the divorce of individuals from each other, resulting finally in a society in which the only agreement that can be achieved is that we should all mutually affirm each other’s right to pursue whatever version of individual truth (or untruth) and personal gratification one might desire. Ironically, the logic of Protestantism eventually turned against its own institutionalized origins in the churches, since such a setting comes to be seen as merely an arbitrary organization that seeks to exert social control over the individual. The only legitimate umbrella organization to which we all belong becomes the State, which is increasingly viewed as the agent of our mutual liberation. Thereby, the sacred project of autonomous liberation becomes collectivist; the perfectly libertarian society is also the most perfectly Statist (a marriage we daily see coming more into focus).

What these two books also help the reader see is that this form of post-Protestant “religious” secularity is the established religion of, and increasingly indistinguishable from, liberalism as a political, cultural, and social form of human organization. It was once believed by many that liberalism was a neutral political order within which a variety of beliefs could flourish—among them, Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, etc. But what is clear both as an intellectual and theological matter as well as an observable fact from many current cultural battlefields is that what Smith describes more broadly as a “sacred project” is increasingly intolerant of competitor religions, and stridently seeks their effectual elimination by “liberal” means. It does so not in the name of some amorphous and tolerant “secularism,” but in the name of the new, and increasingly established, State religion of America. What we call “secularism” isn’t simply unbelief—it is a system of belief with distinctive “theology” without God and this-worldly eschatological hope, and it demands obeisance or the judgment of blasphemy and condemnation.

To their adherents, it increasingly seems like environmentalism, social justice and sociology etc. have become religion.

I'm of the opinion that everyone needs something to believe in/lean on. Whether its a political, social or scientific outlook, religion, drugs, sports or literature, everyone has an addiction. Everyone has something they believe in so strongly that it blinds them to valuable truths (yours truly included).

It's kind of like that South Park episode where Cartman travels into the future to get some game system. When he gets to the future there's a large civil war going on between two sects that disagree about whose science is better.

It seems like people will do shitty things for their beliefs regardless of what shape those beliefs take.

Beorn

Permabanned
An intriguing article that echoes some thoughts I've been having about the matter for some time.

From The American Conservative:

A Secular Age?

Liberalism is the latest form of Protestant religion, practiced from the academy to the culture wars.

An excerpt...

To their adherents, it increasingly seems like environmentalism, social justice and sociology etc. have become religion.

I'm of the opinion that everyone needs something to believe in/lean on. Whether its a political, social or scientific outlook, religion, drugs, sports or literature, everyone has an addiction. Everyone has something they believe in so strongly that it blinds them to valuable truths (yours truly included).

It's kind of like that South Park episode where Cartman travels into the future to get some game system. When he gets to the future there's a large civil war going on between two sects that disagree about whose science is better.

It seems like people will do shitty things for their beliefs regardless of what shape those beliefs take.

How did Deneen write this without reference to Charles Taylor's A Secular Age???

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Interesting. A lot of the 19th and early 20th century reform movements were tied to various Protestant churches.

Of course, I think doubt is more important than belief, which gets me into trouble in a lot of discussions about political matters. I don't accept something into my worldview based on what the people around me think, or what the "right" opinion is supposed to be, but whether it makes sense to me or not. I do suppose I have a few abstract principles I consider important, but as to ideas that represent the expression of them.... I learned that it's better not to take anyone's word for these things.

While I'm kind of a crazy hippy in some ways, I also have a very strong individualistic streak . I also think that if you are advocating for your views, ad-hominems and straw men are not really acceptable. If I really, truly, detest someone's views, I prefer to make them look foolish, rather than fearsome.

Beorn

Permabanned
Interesting. A lot of the 19th and early 20th century reform movements were tied to various Protestant churches.

Of course, I think doubt is more important than belief, which gets me into trouble in a lot of discussions about political matters. I don't accept something into my worldview based on what the people around me think, or what the "right" opinion is supposed to be, but whether it makes sense to me or not. I do suppose I have a few abstract principles I consider important, but as to ideas that represent the expression of them.... I learned that it's better not to take anyone's word for these things.

That's because doubt is the fabric that our secular society is weaved from. More on this in a moment.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's because doubt is the fabric that our secular society is weaved from. More on this in a moment.

Well, I can point to a lot of things that I think are good that came from doubt, and a lot of things that I think are bad that came from belief, and I think you and I would even agree on a lot of those.

Beorn

Permabanned
I think things get a bit more complicated in our secular age. The very fabric of our society is based on doubt and not belief. Whereas hundreds of years ago people took their beliefs for granted as fact today everything is to be questioned. This creates a great deal of anxiety and so we tend to put faith in things that can give us immediate satisfaction such as drugs, sex, and entertainment.

I think Charles Taylor and James K.A. Smith are more helpful in sussing out exactly what secularism is:

"[David Foster] Wallace’s corpus — both fiction and nonfiction — documents a world of almost suffocating immanence, a flattened human universe where the escapes are boredom and distraction, not ecstasy and rapture. Hell is self-consciousness, and our late modern, TV-ized (now Twitter-ized) world only ramps up our self-awareness to an almost paralyzing degree. God is dead, but he’s replaced by everybody else. Everything is permitted, but everybody is watching. So most of the time the best “salvation” we can hope for is found in behaviors that numb us to this reality: drugs, sex, entertainments of various sorts." - James K.A. Smith, How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor

There are of course people who are trying to set up new moralistic world views, but the context of those projects is important. Taylor and Smith seem to view the connection between pre-secular and current society as more of a haunting of the sacred more than anything.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I completely agree that people do tend to lean on something to believe in, regardless of whether it is a religious framework or even the scientific method. We gravitate towards established philosophies and guides for understanding this chaotic and paradoxical world. And definitely, people do shitty things for their beliefs for sure.

However, politics and religion have throughout the history of civilization have separated, run together, and separated and run together again in different forms, and we have different words to describe politics and religion because they are two distinctly different forms of philosophy. A political opinion may well be informed by religion, but it does not necessarily entail specific beliefs about the existence and/or nature of a higher power. A religion may well encourage certain political leanings, however it does not necessarily inform the way a civilization's ruling body should be structured and implemented.

Our current American liberalism did grow out of mainstream Protestantism, but that does not mean liberalism itself is a religion. Rather, liberalism in its current form is particularly inclined to be able to function without a particular religion attached to it. This stands in contrast to current American conservatism, which is much more closely linked to belief in Christianity. I think it is a misinterpretation to suggest that because liberalism does not have a close link with a specific religion, that it must become a religion in and of itself, and that the state must take the place of an authority on belief. I think that what this author is seeing is that many liberals who do not claim a religion still have a set of morals and principles that inform their political opinion, which are often derived from philosophy, several religions, personal spiritual questioning, and other experiences. Those beliefs sets for each individual fill the place of religion in their lives. It is not necessary for them to have liberalism fill a hole, because there is not a hole.

So, to return to the article, the reinterpretation of the state as the church is an interesting concept, but I think it is way too much of an overstep to assume that current American liberals actually feel that way about the government. I think most of us would absolutely abhor the idea of the state as church in our life, to be honest, in particular because many liberals reject the idea of needing a church at all. However, that is not at all the same as rejecting the need to have morals and principles, nor rejecting that others have the right to religious belief. I say this as a liberal who desires her government to be secular, but does not desire her personal morality to be secular. I see politics and religion as eminently different, for good reason, and I believe that most liberals who advocate a secular government feel the same way. It is the nature of current liberalism and current conservatism that most conservatives are fired up about a mix of politics and religion, whereas liberals may not have a religion to get fired up about, or they may channel fire for a complex and disparate set of philosophies into politics, because they don't have a singular umbrella to unite those moral principles under - moreover, their personal morals may not be something they feel the need to enact and advocate in the same way that they feel the need to enact and advocate politically. Incidentally, I know some conservatives for whom this is also true - that they are far more interested in politics then religion and are therefore far more likely to channel that sort of fervor politically. But again, I think it is just the nature of where we are at in political and religious development at the time that for conservative politics and religion seem to be more closely linked, whereas for liberals they are not.

Following that, I think by definition, secularism cannot become Protestantism, because it is a completely different line of philosophy that fills a completely different role. But you may well see liberals who seem to act religiously about politics because politics are more invisibly linked to their morals and principles, or, because they simply have a greater fervor for politics than morals.

Beorn

Permabanned
It is not necessary for them to have liberalism fill a hole, because there is not a hole.

There's a lot to discuss in your post, but first I want to work out this point.

Seriously? You really don't believe there's a hole to fill in people's lives? If that's true then why do marketers make so much money telling people they can fill that hole?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Following that, I think by definition, secularism cannot become Protestantism, because it is a completely different line of philosophy that fills a completely different role. But you may well see liberals who seem to act religiously about politics because politics are more invisibly linked to their morals and principles, or, because they simply have a greater fervor for politics than morals.

The article isn't arguing that secularism has become a religion in the sense that its pushing a higher power, afterlife etc... it's arguing that secularism has catalyzed the waning of protestantism, and that secularism serves as a religion without a God for the people. Basically that secularism, evironmentalism, humanism etc.. fill the space in people once occupied by religion.

Beorn

Permabanned
The article isn't arguing that secularism has become a religion in the sense that its pushing a higher power, afterlife etc... it's arguing that secularism has catalyzed the waning of protestantism, and that secularism serves as a religion without a God for the people. Basically that secularism, evironmentalism, humanism etc.. fill the space in people once occupied by religion.

Also, [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

Perhaps the first thing we should do is sort out what secularism is as people have different ideas. I would propose that secularism isn't one choice amongst many beliefs nor that it is the mere absence of belief, but rather that it is the contested space in which other beliefs exist. As Smith puts it:
"A society is secular insofar as religious belief or belief in God is understood to be one option among others, and thus contestable (and contested)." -Id.

So secularism is not a religion, but it does create the opportunity for new religions or religious-like belief systems amidst all the doubt and contestability.

"It is the emergence of “the secular” in this sense that makes possible the emergence of an “exclusive humanism” — a radically new option in the marketplace of beliefs, a vision of life in which anything beyond the immanent is eclipsed. “For the first time in history a purely self-sufficient humanism came to be a widely available option. I mean by this a humanism accepting no final goals beyond human flourishing, nor any allegiance to anything else beyond this flourishing. Of no previous society was this true." - Id.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There's a lot to discuss in your post, but first I want to work out this point.

Seriously? You really don't believe there's a hole to fill in people's lives? If that's true then why do marketers make so much money telling people they can fill that hole?

I will try to sufficiently respond to both of these with one post, but please let me know if I have not done an adequate job of doing so.

To Beorn, I absolutely do think that there is a deep, ever present yearning in all of our lives that is part and parcel to being human. I think that religion is certainly one way attempting to respond to that yearning, but that there are also many other ways of attempting to do so. What I disagree with is not that there is not a feeling of something missing in people's lives, but that people who believe in a religion have sufficiently addressed that, while people who have not, have not. So, while I understand the line of reasoning that the state could perform a function that is lacking in the lives of those who have not embraced a different means, I think it is a misperception that most liberals do not have some equivalent of morals and beliefs and spiritual fulfillment that performs the same function of attempting to address that yearning, and that does so sufficiently.

So then, to follow that, Disco, I understand that the article is not saying that secularism has explicitly become a religion, with all the trappings therein, but I disagree that people are using secular political philosophy to attempt to address that yearning and to otherwise perform the same function that religion serves. I do absolutely think that humanism, specifically, can be used in that role, because humanism includes moral and teleological components that characterize a broader philosophy. But I think that it is going too far to say that people with secular political views are using those views as a replacement. Rather, I think that secular political philosophy and religion can co-exist, and it just happens that at this time, the two are not twinning up.

So, in response to your second quote, Beorn, I think that the option of a philosophy focused on the immediate material has always existed, and is not really something new. I think it has been embraced in varying manifestations through time and cultures - the lavish East Coast 20s before the Depression, for example. I think it is now emerging in the light of including an agnostic/atheistic belief set, but that has probably happened in the past, too. Perhaps in the 20s itself. I am admittedly not well-read on the prominent beliefs at that time.

But, to address what I think this is leading to, I think that environmentalism itself tends to get away from the idea of only prizing human flourishing, because I think many environmentalist tactics are actually limiting the flourishing of humans in the interest of prolonging the biodiversity and purity of the environment sans human interference. So, I think that that should stand as fair evidence that it is unlikely that only imminent human flourishing as a endpoint is being widely accepted by liberal ideologues. I think likely that secularism has arisen in part as a response to increased globalization, as a way of allowing more diversity than has historically existed in a single culture, not because people are increasingly rejecting the need to fulfill a sense of yearning or because they have been unable to fulfill it.

Mole

Permabanned
The secular State guarantees freedom of religion.

The secular State is not in opposition to religion, rather the secular State allows religions to flourish.

Unfortunately American Protestantism equates secularism with atheism. So American Protestantism makes propaganda against secularism. And they do this by wrongly claiming that secularism is a new religion.

So when American Protestants talk about secularism we know it is special pleading.

What do they take us for?

Mole

Permabanned
Why are Americans paranoid about their elected secular government?

Why are Americans armed against their secular government and why do they make propaganda against it?

First it is American Protestants who are against their secular government. Why is this?

The answer is the secular government guarantees freedom of religion and allows all religions to flourish. But American Protestants only want one religion to flourish and that is naturally their own.

So American Protestants see their secular government as the enemy. Indeed they see it as aiding and abetting other religions. And so they elide this and say secularism is a religion.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This makes sense and certainly matches some of things I've observed. You could even argue that within secularism there is an evangelical denomination, many of whom follow Richard Dawkins like a prophet. :D

It makes me think of a conversation I was having with my INTJ friend the other day about how humanity is fucked and always will be, because we're inherently tribalistic. I guess belief systems have also come to be simplified, homogenized, and shaped into tribalistic camps and "-isms" over time - just look at America and their pro-choice and pro-life divisions. Actually, I would say America is more prone to stronger, well-defined belief system camps because within the culture there seems to be a perpetuation of the slippery slope argument and the fear-mongering surrounding it. In the end, people have to embrace a side for fear of being called out as a 'non-believer'.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see the link between Protestantism and secularism. In my personal view, Protestantism and secularism were reactions to similar problems.

In the case of Protestantism, it was a reaction to the Catholic Church resisting to make copies of the Bible in any other language than Latin, thereby making sure that only a small, well-educated, elite group could actually read and understand what the Bible actually said and leaving the masses ignorant of what they were actually worshipping. Protestants came with the first Bibles in languages other than Latin, so anyone who could read in their own language, but not so much in Latin, also had access to what was actually in the Bible. Until then the masses were dumbed down by the Catholic Church, left with only the things their priests had to say, so this new gain of knowledge led to some sort of empowerment. People got a chance to think for themselves about what the Bible had to say, without any religious authority telling them what they actually should think.

Secularism could be seen as the result of, again, the church (whether it's Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, whatever) telling people how to think and how to live. This time not by withholding information from the masses, but through politics (which, of course, isn't a new phenomenon at all). Where Protestantism tried to give people the freedom to think for themselves about what the Bible had to say, secularism tries to give people to think for themselves how they want to live their lives and run the country, regardless of what any religious scripture has to say. So yes, they're similar because of the fact that they both stand for liberation.

The big difference is that secularism is NOT a religion. Secularism just stands for keeping people with religious power from obtaining political power as well. Most countries have (as far as I'm concerned) people from many different religions living in their country. If you start mixing religious with political power, this could lead to oppression of people from religious minorities. It could lead to dictatorship, people being prosecuted for what they believing, people being too scared to openly question what they're supposed to believe in. That's why secularism is needed: it is a way to prevent oppression.

I would also like to point out one thing: politicians who suggest that their political views are 100% representative for what people with their beliefs are supposed to believe, might not always get political support from people with the same religious beliefs. In our country, typical 'Christian' parties are usually the most conservative ones, but when I speak to the most Christian people I know (and thereby I mean the ones who actually studied what the Bible said and had put much effort into figuring out their beliefs), they always tell me they tend to vote for more liberal, green parties. One of these very Christian guys I know, who also happens to be a vegetarian, put it this way: 'I believe God put us on this earth to take care of it, so I think it's my job to contribute into taking care of the environment, animals and the weak'. Pretty much the opposite of what most 'Christian' parties stand for ('WAR! GUNS! WHITE PEOPLE! WAR! WEAPONS! OIL! MORE WAR! POLLUTION! MONEY! OIL! WAR! PATRIARCHY! WEAPONS! MONEY! POVERTY! GUNS! PROHIBITION! OIL! WAR! FUCK YEAH!').

Mole

Permabanned
The Protestant Narrative, Catholicism, and the Secular State

I see the link between Protestantism and secularism. In my personal view, Protestantism and secularism were reactions to similar problems.

In the case of Protestantism, it was a reaction to the Catholic Church resisting to make copies of the Bible in any other language than Latin, thereby making sure that only a small, well-educated, elite group could actually read and understand what the Bible actually said and leaving the masses ignorant of what they were actually worshipping. Protestants came with the first Bibles in languages other than Latin, so anyone who could read in their own language, but not so much in Latin, also had access to what was actually in the Bible. Until then the masses were dumbed down by the Catholic Church, left with only the things their priests had to say, so this new gain of knowledge led to some sort of empowerment. People got a chance to think for themselves about what the Bible had to say, without any religious authority telling them what they actually should think.

Secularism could be seen as the result of, again, the church (whether it's Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Islamic, whatever) telling people how to think and how to live. This time not by withholding information from the masses, but through politics (which, of course, isn't a new phenomenon at all). Where Protestantism tried to give people the freedom to think for themselves about what the Bible had to say, secularism tries to give people to think for themselves how they want to live their lives and run the country, regardless of what any religious scripture has to say. So yes, they're similar because of the fact that they both stand for liberation.

The big difference is that secularism is NOT a religion. Secularism just stands for keeping people with religious power from obtaining political power as well. Most countries have (as far as I'm concerned) people from many different religions living in their country. If you start mixing religious with political power, this could lead to oppression of people from religious minorities. It could lead to dictatorship, people being prosecuted for what they believing, people being too scared to openly question what they're supposed to believe in. That's why secularism is needed: it is a way to prevent oppression.

I would also like to point out one thing: politicians who suggest that their political views are 100% representative for what people with their beliefs are supposed to believe, might not always get political support from people with the same religious beliefs. In our country, typical 'Christian' parties are usually the most conservative ones, but when I speak to the most Christian people I know (and thereby I mean the ones who actually studied what the Bible said and had put much effort into figuring out their beliefs), they always tell me they tend to vote for more liberal, green parties. One of these very Christian guys I know, who also happens to be a vegetarian, put it this way: 'I believe God put us on this earth to take care of it, so I think it's my job to contribute into taking care of the environment, animals and the weak'. Pretty much the opposite of what most 'Christian' parties stand for ('WAR! GUNS! WHITE PEOPLE! WAR! WEAPONS! OIL! MORE WAR! POLLUTION! MONEY! OIL! WAR! PATRIARCHY! WEAPONS! MONEY! POVERTY! GUNS! PROHIBITION! OIL! WAR! FUCK YEAH!').

This is the Protestant narrative of society presented to us as though we were as naive as the writer.

Until the invention of the printing press in 1440 we lived in a spoken society called Catholic, but with the invention the printing press we started to live in a literate society called Protestant.

The Protestant narrative says that the Catholics oppressed the people and Protestants freed them. This narrative flies in the face of history.

But worse, the Protestant narrative is now applied to the Secular State.

What do you take us for?

LonestarCowgirl

I see it differently. My understanding of addiction is that it's an impulsive response to anxiety and a lower brain (stem) function. It's a passive way of letting anxiety have it's way. The lower part of the brain is what functions most when we are children. In our mid-late teens, our higher brain (the frontal lobe) becomes fully developed. The frontal lobe is truly where a persons power of maturity is at. It's where all of the administrative processes (i.e., decision making) are carried out. Faith in a higher power and doing the right thing despite how we feel are functions of the frontal lobe. Faith in drugs to improve the quality of life might be a function of the frontal lobe, but giving into drugs in an addictive or crutch-like manner that would potentially damage the frontal lobe, body, and relationships is primitive, lower brain, kiddie behavior.

Edit:

I realize you may have been using the term loosely. I don't believe everyone has addictions. People with strong preferences, values, standards, and faith can certainly appreciate and respect other points of views and find common ground. I would call those people strongly boundary'd and mature, since they're not blind to other points of views; they just have their own tastes and preferences.

Last edited:

wildflower

mainline protestantism always seemed to me like humanism with a light varnish of jesus. i guess now the varnish has been removed.

really, i think what the essay is talking about is The Modern Project with secularism, humanism, relativism(?) and liberalism being its fruit. (new?)calvinism and atheism are the hyper-modern last gasp before it all expires. thankfully, postmodernism, a critique of modernism, makes room for the divine even if a plurality of gods. i've read a little of james k.a. smith and also stanley grenz' a primer on postmodernism which is foundational. ;)

it's no wonder the center of christianity has shifted from the western world to the global south & east. they still believe in the supernatural and it's the charismatic & pentecostal churches that are growing like crazy globally while the church in the west survives on life support.

The Modern Project is a general name for the political and philosophical movement that gave (and gives) rise to modernity, broadly understood. This endeavor was begun by certain figures in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance to uproot Western culture from its traditional moorings in the givenness of the world (such as espoused in Classical philosophy, and Judeo-Christian revelation) and assert the individual human being or human mind as the origin of all things. Characteristic ideas of the modern project include individualism, liberalism, marxism, mechanism, rationalism, scientism, secularism, and subjectivism.

Key initiators of the modern project include Niccolò Machiavelli, Francis Bacon, René Descartes, and later Galileo Galilei. The conceptual shift that prepared the way for the modern project began even further back with the writings of Duns Scotus[1] and William of Ockham. The success of Newtonian mechanics marked a major victory of the modern project and started the Enlightenment. emphasis added wiki