• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Transgressing the Boundaries

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

It is irrational to view death with either hope or fear.

Where did I say I hoped for or feared death haha?

To quote a great screenwriter/director: "I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
bro how do you even know it's an illusion though

I don't bro. I'm just pointing out we have no reason to believe it isn't an illusion, and I make a point of not believing in things I have no evidence or good reasons for.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I don't bro. I'm just pointing out we have no reason to believe it isn't an illusion, and I make a point of not believing in things I have no evidence or good reasons for.

"We have no reason to believe that reality is not an illusion"

The burden of proof lies on you. Appealing to doubt/lack of certainty does not constitute a valid argument.

If reality does not exist, you are not really alive. In which case, you cannot die. By refusing to take your life, you show that you don't really believe what you are saying.

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
"We have no reason to believe X is not true"

The burden of proof lies on you. Appealing to doubt/lack of certainty is not an argument.

I'm saying it's dumb to blindly accept things without thinking. You appear to disagree.

That's fine. You go your way and I'll go mine. :D

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I'm saying it's dumb to blindly accept things without thinking. You appear to disagree.

That's fine. You go your way and I'll go mine. :D

Pick your battles. There is a difference between productive thought and mental masturbation. Disagreeing with you does not make me unintelligent.

When people start asking "do I exist?" I feel like facepalming...

Amalie Muller

MBTI Type
ENTP
Pick your battles. There is a difference between productive thought and mental masturbation. Disagreeing with you does not make me unintelligent.

When people start asking "do I exist?" I feel like facepalming...

When people say, "Don't think about things that lead to 'impractical' conclusions, as such conclusions are 'useless'", I feel like facepalming. :D

ygolo

My termites win
So now that people know that the article was a hoax. What do you guys think about what Skokal did?

I think it was clever, but what he did was essentially present a strawman argument and got it published. Social Text should have been more thorough. But I think what he did was in bad form. I tried to avoid repeating it with a disclaimer.

Sokal affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
So now that people know that the article was a hoax. What do you guys think about what Skokal did?

I think it was clever, but what he did was essentially present a strawman argument and got it published. Social Text should have been more thorough. But I think what he did was in bad form. I tried to avoid repeating it with a disclaimer.

I think it is a great idea and that such a confusing, poorly worded article got published at all says a lot about liberal academia...not like I didn't know already lol.

It is safe to assume that things have only gotten worse in twenty years time as well.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I dunno. I sort of think he had a point sometimes. I actually have heard people say things that weren't that far off from what he was parodying.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it is a great idea and that such a confusing, poorly worded article got published at all says a lot about liberal academia...not like I didn't know already lol.
Conservative academia is just as bad in overlooking the flaws in work that fits their ideology. The problem is not political views but intellectual integrity and simple quality control.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't think it's in bad form. It's also like that study (I can not recall any names) that tested how psychiatrists would perceive the mental health of people who faked being crazy in order to just get into the psych ward. I think these sorts of things need to be done to illustrate failures with more than mere conjecture or accusation, but full fledge demonstration. And I cannot see how ideas like these would work without an element of deception.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Have you read any military science/operations research journals? They're conservative as shit.

I admit that I haven't.

However, that is one small portion of academia. We are talking about the prevailing culture in universities.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I admit that I haven't.

However, that is one small portion of academia. We are talking about the prevailing culture in universities.
More examples are all over the place. Like pretty much all of engineering. A far cry from "does not exist."

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
More examples are all over the place. Like pretty much all of engineering. A far cry from "does not exist."

You are ignoring what I am telling you. Let me spell it out: in what university is the prevailing culture conservative? If you can find some, are these universities common enough in your country to compete with the liberal universities? I am somewhat incredulous due to my experience being that of either overwhelming liberalism or complete indifference.

Or another way, in what university would it be more controversial to be a liberal than a conservative? Specific examples of one or two departements don't change much.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You are ignoring what I am telling you. Let me spell it out: in what university is the prevailing culture conservative?

Or another way, in what university would it be more controversial to be a liberal than a conservative?
You said that conservative academia does not exist. Period.

For the rest of what you're telling me.. Brigham Young. Auburn. Clemson. Most A&M universities. Every U.S. defense academy. A bunch of others in the south. Lots in the midwest.
Specific examples of one or two departements don't change much.
All of engineering is hardly one or two departments.

Last edited:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are ignoring what I am telling you. Let me spell it out: in what university is the prevailing culture conservative? If you can find some, are these universities common enough in your country to compete with the liberal universities? I am somewhat incredulous due to my experience being that of either overwhelming liberalism or complete indifference.

Or another way, in what university would it be more controversial to be a liberal than a conservative? Specific examples of one or two departements don't change much.

Maybe your experience is to perceive everything as far more liberal than it is because you are yourself extremely right-wing, the same way a Saudi Imam might view our very religious world as outrageously secular.

But then, exactly what is your experience?