User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 84

  1. #71
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    So now that people know that the article was a hoax. What do you guys think about what Skokal did?

    I think it was clever, but what he did was essentially present a strawman argument and got it published. Social Text should have been more thorough. But I think what he did was in bad form. I tried to avoid repeating it with a disclaimer.

    Sokal affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I dunno. I sort of think he had a point sometimes. I actually have heard people say things that weren't that far off from what he was parodying.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  2. #72
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I think it is a great idea and that such a confusing, poorly worded article got published at all says a lot about liberal academia...not like I didn't know already lol.
    Conservative academia is just as bad in overlooking the flaws in work that fits their ideology. The problem is not political views but intellectual integrity and simple quality control.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #73
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    So now that people know that the article was a hoax. What do you guys think about what Skokal did?

    I think it was clever, but what he did was essentially present a strawman argument and got it published. Social Text should have been more thorough. But I think what he did was in bad form. I tried to avoid repeating it with a disclaimer.

    Sokal affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I don't think it's in bad form. It's also like that study (I can not recall any names) that tested how psychiatrists would perceive the mental health of people who faked being crazy in order to just get into the psych ward. I think these sorts of things need to be done to illustrate failures with more than mere conjecture or accusation, but full fledge demonstration. And I cannot see how ideas like these would work without an element of deception.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #74
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Conservative academia
    ...does not exist.

  5. #75
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    ...does not exist.
    Have you read any military science/operations research journals? They're conservative as shit.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  6. #76
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Have you read any military science/operations research journals? They're conservative as shit.
    I admit that I haven't.

    However, that is one small portion of academia. We are talking about the prevailing culture in universities.

  7. #77
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I admit that I haven't.

    However, that is one small portion of academia. We are talking about the prevailing culture in universities.
    More examples are all over the place. Like pretty much all of engineering. A far cry from "does not exist."
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  8. #78
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    More examples are all over the place. Like pretty much all of engineering. A far cry from "does not exist."
    You are ignoring what I am telling you. Let me spell it out: in what university is the prevailing culture conservative? If you can find some, are these universities common enough in your country to compete with the liberal universities? I am somewhat incredulous due to my experience being that of either overwhelming liberalism or complete indifference.

    Or another way, in what university would it be more controversial to be a liberal than a conservative? Specific examples of one or two departements don't change much.

  9. #79
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You are ignoring what I am telling you. Let me spell it out: in what university is the prevailing culture conservative?

    Or another way, in what university would it be more controversial to be a liberal than a conservative?
    You said that conservative academia does not exist. Period.

    For the rest of what you're telling me.. Brigham Young. Auburn. Clemson. Most A&M universities. Every U.S. defense academy. A bunch of others in the south. Lots in the midwest.
    Specific examples of one or two departements don't change much.
    All of engineering is hardly one or two departments.
    Last edited by Bush Did 9/11; 09-09-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: wrote this reply before the post was edited for caveats, whoops
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  10. #80
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You are ignoring what I am telling you. Let me spell it out: in what university is the prevailing culture conservative? If you can find some, are these universities common enough in your country to compete with the liberal universities? I am somewhat incredulous due to my experience being that of either overwhelming liberalism or complete indifference.

    Or another way, in what university would it be more controversial to be a liberal than a conservative? Specific examples of one or two departements don't change much.
    Maybe your experience is to perceive everything as far more liberal than it is because you are yourself extremely right-wing, the same way a Saudi Imam might view our very religious world as outrageously secular.

    But then, exactly what is your experience?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. The Madmin Blog
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  3. Muhammad (S.A.W.) cartoons and the boundaries of satire
    By figsfiggyfigs in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
  4. Eileen (to the left)
    By Eileen in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO