User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 84

  1. #61
    Senior Member Amalie Muller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

    It is irrational to view death with either hope or fear.
    Where did I say I hoped for or feared death haha?

    To quote a great screenwriter/director: "I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens."

  2. #62
    Senior Member Amalie Muller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    bro how do you even know it's an illusion though
    I don't bro. I'm just pointing out we have no reason to believe it isn't an illusion, and I make a point of not believing in things I have no evidence or good reasons for.

  3. #63
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amalie Muller View Post
    I don't bro. I'm just pointing out we have no reason to believe it isn't an illusion, and I make a point of not believing in things I have no evidence or good reasons for.
    "We have no reason to believe that reality is not an illusion"

    The burden of proof lies on you. Appealing to doubt/lack of certainty does not constitute a valid argument.

    If reality does not exist, you are not really alive. In which case, you cannot die. By refusing to take your life, you show that you don't really believe what you are saying.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Amalie Muller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    "We have no reason to believe X is not true"

    The burden of proof lies on you. Appealing to doubt/lack of certainty is not an argument.
    I'm saying it's dumb to blindly accept things without thinking. You appear to disagree.

    That's fine. You go your way and I'll go mine.

  5. #65
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amalie Muller View Post
    I'm saying it's dumb to blindly accept things without thinking. You appear to disagree.

    That's fine. You go your way and I'll go mine.
    Pick your battles. There is a difference between productive thought and mental masturbation. Disagreeing with you does not make me unintelligent.

    When people start asking "do I exist?" I feel like facepalming...

  6. #66
    Senior Member Amalie Muller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Pick your battles. There is a difference between productive thought and mental masturbation. Disagreeing with you does not make me unintelligent.

    When people start asking "do I exist?" I feel like facepalming...
    When people say, "Don't think about things that lead to 'impractical' conclusions, as such conclusions are 'useless'", I feel like facepalming.

  7. #67
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amalie Muller View Post
    When people say, "Don't think about things that lead to 'impractical' conclusions, as such conclusions are 'useless'", I feel like facepalming.
    Te vs Ti lol.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Amalie Muller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Te vs Ti lol.
    Haha I didn't notice you were INTJ. Should've known.

  9. #69

    Default

    So now that people know that the article was a hoax. What do you guys think about what Skokal did?

    I think it was clever, but what he did was essentially present a strawman argument and got it published. Social Text should have been more thorough. But I think what he did was in bad form. I tried to avoid repeating it with a disclaimer.

    Sokal affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #70
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    So now that people know that the article was a hoax. What do you guys think about what Skokal did?

    I think it was clever, but what he did was essentially present a strawman argument and got it published. Social Text should have been more thorough. But I think what he did was in bad form. I tried to avoid repeating it with a disclaimer.

    Sokal affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I think it is a great idea and that such a confusing, poorly worded article got published at all says a lot about liberal academia...not like I didn't know already lol.

    It is safe to assume that things have only gotten worse in twenty years time as well.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. The Madmin Blog
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  3. Muhammad (S.A.W.) cartoons and the boundaries of satire
    By figsfiggyfigs in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
  4. Eileen (to the left)
    By Eileen in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO