User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I think this whole "alpha male" thing is silly. It's not really a thing with our species. I think some people are pretending to be wolves or something. And there was only one alpha in the pack.
    Well, my dear Green Fairy, my philosopher wood nymph, some like to pretend they are the Alpha Mole. And who can blame them? Can there be anything more arresting than Mole rampant, uttering his warcry, "A Mole! A Mole!", striking terror into the hearts of the Weasels and the Stoats?

You tell me!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I think it's 'alpha' to not be concerned with the matter of what is alpha or not.

Just be yourself.

/Cringe

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    So lets say there is some big shot alpha male acting all big and shit
    Alphas don't act big and shit. They ARE big.

then there is someone who doesent care about the alpha male trying to be all alpha, but just finds it amusing, laughs at him
    Being amused of and laughing at is caring.

(which will most likely piss off the alpha male and making him try to act bigger, which is just met with more amusement and looking down on the alpha male).
    Alphas don't care about your opinions.

So which is the real alpha male?
    Neither.

Alpha is someone others look up to and respect naturally as an authority.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by silvery sleeves View Post
    I think it's 'alpha' to not be concerned with the matter of what is alpha or not.

Just be yourself.

/Cringe
    Fuh shizzle

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Well, my dear Green Fairy, my philosopher wood nymph, some like to pretend they are the Alpha Mole. And who can blame them? Can there be anything more arresting than Mole rampant, uttering his warcry, "A Mole! A Mole!", striking terror into the hearts of the Weasels and the Stoats?

You tell me!
    Oh what a scary thing an alpha Mole would be!

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amalie Muller View Post
    With the exception of @Bullet's posts, this has been a pretty dumb thread.
    A discussion about nothing requires nothing, so input can be free and open.

That includes open to be dumb.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    Alphas don't act big and shit. They ARE big.

Being amused of and laughing at is caring.

Alphas don't care about your opinions.

Neither.

Alpha is someone others look up to and respect naturally as an authority.

Being something is acting accordingly to what you are supposed to be. Someone is big because of the way he acts(unless you are ofc talking purely on physical qualities, which this topic isnt about).

The reason why some weaker people look up to alphas is because of the alpha behavior and the people who take the more submissive attitude(instead of challenging the alpha) dont have the qualities needed to challenge the alpha, so instead they submit. If they were to challenge the alpha, then it would be a battle of the alpha position, and yes, there might be multiple people who could be considered as alpha males in a group, its just that only one gets the alpha position in the group.

Whether or not you care about an alphas attempts to act big is not relevant, what is relevant is whether or not you let the alpha to get an hold on you and whether or not you submit to the alpha.

If someone who is considered as the alpha of a group lets people shit on him and doesent care about that, he isnt really an alpha male of any sort.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

^ Don't forget to peacock. Peacocking is half the battle.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The reason why some weaker people look up to alphas is because of the alpha behavior and the people who take the more submissive attitude(instead of challenging the alpha) dont have the qualities needed to challenge the alpha, so instead they submit.
    Allright, but in many cases it's not simply an act of social dominance. You may wish to complete a (group) task and someone will be a leader based on his specific area of competence.

Of course if two people in a given group have a similar level of competence but differing opinions on how to complete the given task, one of the two is either going to submit or create his own group of people who agree with him.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Allright, but in many cases it's not simply an act of social dominance. You may wish to complete a (group) task and someone will be a leader based on his specific area of competence.

Of course if two people in a given group have a similar level of competence but differing opinions on how to complete the given task, one of the two is either going to submit or create his own group of people who agree with him.
    Displaying competence on what the group sees as important is a major aspect of this yes.

This isnt about a clash of opinions. Disagreeing on something with an alpha isnt a battle for the position of the alpha male in the group, therefore what you say about agreeing with alpha is not relevant on the example you gave. Its about whether you take the position of dominance/leader or submission/follower habitually inside the group.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    ^^^

This post seems particularly lucid to me. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to prove yourself... But there is such a difference between the man who is living for fulfillment and treating his peers with dignity and respect versus the man who is living for status and treats his peers as less than equal.
    Exactly what I meant. There is no Alpha Male for me. There are only men who live genuine life and those who don't.