User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 55

  1. #1
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default Prayer discount dropped at restaurant after objections made by FFRF.

    North Carolina restaurant drops prayer discount after fear of lawsuit | Fox News

    Personally, I have no issue with somebody praying to whatever "being," soothes their conscience, but the discount for prayer specifically was a little ridiculous. I know they said they allowed all religions to recieve the discount, but why didn't they choose something more open to interpretation, like "show gratitude for your food, and recieve a 15% discount"? I would thank the chef and the waiter, then give a tip.

    Do you think this was handled well?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  2. #2
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Ehhh this place. I live in NC. And am not religious. But, I don't think they meant anything bad by it. I think they were trying to be friendly and encouraging of positivity. I don't really think it called for a lawsuit, personally. I would be all over it if it were a public service or government facility but it's a private diner. I think they should be able to offer discounts as they please. If you don't like that they don't discount your food because you don't pray you can just go somewhere else. I think that group took this one a little too far. Choose your battles, you know?

  3. #3
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    did the restaurant say no muslim prayers or something?.. I don't get it. Did they exclude someone? Say their prayer wasn't as good as someone else's? What is the problem that caused the lawsuit exactly?

    How is saying "say a prayer, get a discount" a bad thing? How is that even anything? I'd say a little prayer to a rock all day long if I got 10% off of food I was already paying for anyways. People just get all huffy about nothing.

    How is this favoring belief vs non belief? You could not believe, bow your head and meditate for a minute, and call it a prayer all day. Online coupons favor computer savvy vs not, but those guys aren't suing for online coupons being distributed via emails. FFRF can eat a bag of
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  4. #4
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    did the restaurant say no muslim prayers or something?.. I don't get it. Did they exclude someone? Say their prayer wasn't as good as someone else's? What is the problem that caused the lawsuit exactly?

    How is saying "say a prayer, get a discount" a bad thing? How is that even anything? I'd say a little prayer to a rock all day long if I got 10% off of food I was already paying for anyways. People just get all huffy about nothing.

    How is this favoring belief vs non belief? You could not believe, bow your head and meditate for a minute, and call it a prayer all day. Online coupons favor computer savvy vs not, but those guys aren't suing for online coupons being distributed via emails. FFRF can eat a bag of
    Yeah, it was because people are basically forced to pray if they want the discount, and since a non-believer won't pray by definition, they have no option of receiving a discount. So it's kind of an exclusion directed at people who believe similarly to the owners, although it is broadened to "people who pray" regardless to creed since you can't read the person's mind, you can just see them pray.

    And yes, you could game the system by just bowing your head and talking to yourself for a few moments.

    Anyway, we're talking about North Carolina. I'm kinda expecting these kind of cultural conflicts to pop up in Virginia and NC and other places where the import of new demographics is butting heads with the local religious culture.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #5
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,778

    Default

    if prayer worked then christians wouldn't have to pay for their food, god would provide all the mana they could ever want.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  6. #6
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, it was because people are basically forced to pray if they want the discount, and since a non-believer won't pray by definition, they have no option of receiving a discount.
    Yeah but why are they entitled to a discount in the first place? I'd like it if I didn't need to network to get a job. I'd like it if I could get a discount without hitting 'like' on facebook. I'd like it if people automatically showed me the cheapest, best deals they have without having to bargain hunt. But that's not how business works. Can anyone who posts a coupon on facebook get sued because people who don't have FB access can say they're being discriminated? People aren't entitled to discounts and coupons. Companies give that discriminately and at will all the time on other circumstances. Where in any laws does it state that businesses are not allowed to discriminate against who they provide coupons to or not? Why doesn't the FFRF just call for boycotting the restaurant and let the people decide if they actually care or not?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #7
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Yeah but why are they entitled to a discount in the first place? I'd like it if I didn't need to network to get a job. I'd like it if I could get a discount without hitting 'like' on facebook. I'd like it if people automatically showed me the cheapest, best deals they have without having to bargain hunt. But that's not how business works. Can anyone who posts a coupon on facebook get sued because people who don't have FB access can say they're being discriminated? People aren't entitled to discounts and coupons. Companies give that discriminately and at will all the time on other circumstances. Where in any laws does it state that businesses are not allowed to discriminate against who they provide coupons to or not? Why doesn't the FFRF just call for boycotting the restaurant and let the people decide if they actually care or not?
    Beats me.


    ... the closest thing that came to mind to me was the "sweepstakes" thing, where a company has to allow people to enter sweepstakes without buying their product. It's not quite the same, but it does suggest a kind of "level playing field" where prizes and discounts are given. I mean, what's to stop the restaurant from giving black people discounts, or women discounts... or, to reverse engineer it, charging higher prices to whites or men?

    But then again, some places give AARP discounts (for age), so...

    .... again,

    I just think it's dumb because I'm not sure what they're trying to promote, and because one can simply game the system so it promotes nothing at all.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #8
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Beats me.


    ... the closest thing that came to mind to me was the "sweepstakes" thing, where a company has to allow people to enter sweepstakes without buying their product. It's not quite the same, but it does suggest a kind of "level playing field" where prizes and discounts are given. I mean, what's to stop the restaurant from giving black people discounts, or women discounts... or, to reverse engineer it, charging higher prices to whites or men?

    But then again, some places give AARP discounts (for age), so...

    .... again,

    I just think it's dumb because I'm not sure what they're trying to promote, and because one can simply game the system so it promotes nothing at all.
    do you think people with the disease that makes them age rapidly get aarp discounts at 10? since technically there probably gonna be dead before 20 so they are technically old as they are technically towards the end of their life span.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #9
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    do you think people with the disease that makes them age rapidly get aarp discounts at 10? since technically there probably gonna be dead before 20 so they are technically old as they are technically towards the end of their life span.
    You can always write and ask how they handle pronounced cases of progeria.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #10
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You can always write and ask how they handle pronounced cases of progeria.
    probably not cuz they'd have to give a discount to anyone who was gonna die young. though i'd argue if you get diagnosed with cancer and giving 6 months to live you should get an aarp card since you are at the end of your life.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2017, 10:37 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2013, 04:03 AM
  3. Tipping at restaurants - Are you a good/bad tipper?
    By Patches in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 01:10 PM
  4. A student commits suicide at school after getting caught using a mobile phone.
    By Riva in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
  5. [ESFP] ESFPs: Are you successful at wooing the objects of your desire?
    By iwakar in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO