• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prayer discount dropped at restaurant after objections made by FFRF.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
North Carolina restaurant drops prayer discount after fear of lawsuit | Fox News

Personally, I have no issue with somebody praying to whatever "being," soothes their conscience, but the discount for prayer specifically was a little ridiculous. I know they said they allowed all religions to recieve the discount, but why didn't they choose something more open to interpretation, like "show gratitude for your food, and recieve a 15% discount"? I would thank the chef and the waiter, then give a tip.

Do you think this was handled well?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ehhh this place. I live in NC. And am not religious. But, I don't think they meant anything bad by it. I think they were trying to be friendly and encouraging of positivity. I don't really think it called for a lawsuit, personally. I would be all over it if it were a public service or government facility but it's a private diner. I think they should be able to offer discounts as they please. If you don't like that they don't discount your food because you don't pray you can just go somewhere else. I think that group took this one a little too far. Choose your battles, you know?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
did the restaurant say no muslim prayers or something?.. I don't get it. Did they exclude someone? Say their prayer wasn't as good as someone else's? What is the problem that caused the lawsuit exactly?

How is saying "say a prayer, get a discount" a bad thing? How is that even anything? I'd say a little prayer to a rock all day long if I got 10% off of food I was already paying for anyways. People just get all huffy about nothing.

How is this favoring belief vs non belief? You could not believe, bow your head and meditate for a minute, and call it a prayer all day. Online coupons favor computer savvy vs not, but those guys aren't suing for online coupons being distributed via emails. FFRF can eat a bag of :ranting:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
did the restaurant say no muslim prayers or something?.. I don't get it. Did they exclude someone? Say their prayer wasn't as good as someone else's? What is the problem that caused the lawsuit exactly?

How is saying "say a prayer, get a discount" a bad thing? How is that even anything? I'd say a little prayer to a rock all day long if I got 10% off of food I was already paying for anyways. People just get all huffy about nothing.

How is this favoring belief vs non belief? You could not believe, bow your head and meditate for a minute, and call it a prayer all day. Online coupons favor computer savvy vs not, but those guys aren't suing for online coupons being distributed via emails. FFRF can eat a bag of :ranting:

Yeah, it was because people are basically forced to pray if they want the discount, and since a non-believer won't pray by definition, they have no option of receiving a discount. So it's kind of an exclusion directed at people who believe similarly to the owners, although it is broadened to "people who pray" regardless to creed since you can't read the person's mind, you can just see them pray.

And yes, you could game the system by just bowing your head and talking to yourself for a few moments.

Anyway, we're talking about North Carolina. I'm kinda expecting these kind of cultural conflicts to pop up in Virginia and NC and other places where the import of new demographics is butting heads with the local religious culture.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if prayer worked then christians wouldn't have to pay for their food, god would provide all the mana they could ever want.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yeah, it was because people are basically forced to pray if they want the discount, and since a non-believer won't pray by definition, they have no option of receiving a discount.

Yeah but why are they entitled to a discount in the first place? I'd like it if I didn't need to network to get a job. I'd like it if I could get a discount without hitting 'like' on facebook. I'd like it if people automatically showed me the cheapest, best deals they have without having to bargain hunt. But that's not how business works. Can anyone who posts a coupon on facebook get sued because people who don't have FB access can say they're being discriminated? People aren't entitled to discounts and coupons. Companies give that discriminately and at will all the time on other circumstances. Where in any laws does it state that businesses are not allowed to discriminate against who they provide coupons to or not? Why doesn't the FFRF just call for boycotting the restaurant and let the people decide if they actually care or not?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah but why are they entitled to a discount in the first place? I'd like it if I didn't need to network to get a job. I'd like it if I could get a discount without hitting 'like' on facebook. I'd like it if people automatically showed me the cheapest, best deals they have without having to bargain hunt. But that's not how business works. Can anyone who posts a coupon on facebook get sued because people who don't have FB access can say they're being discriminated? People aren't entitled to discounts and coupons. Companies give that discriminately and at will all the time on other circumstances. Where in any laws does it state that businesses are not allowed to discriminate against who they provide coupons to or not? Why doesn't the FFRF just call for boycotting the restaurant and let the people decide if they actually care or not?

Beats me. :shrug:

... the closest thing that came to mind to me was the "sweepstakes" thing, where a company has to allow people to enter sweepstakes without buying their product. It's not quite the same, but it does suggest a kind of "level playing field" where prizes and discounts are given. I mean, what's to stop the restaurant from giving black people discounts, or women discounts... or, to reverse engineer it, charging higher prices to whites or men?

But then again, some places give AARP discounts (for age), so...

.... again, :shrug:

I just think it's dumb because I'm not sure what they're trying to promote, and because one can simply game the system so it promotes nothing at all.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

... the closest thing that came to mind to me was the "sweepstakes" thing, where a company has to allow people to enter sweepstakes without buying their product. It's not quite the same, but it does suggest a kind of "level playing field" where prizes and discounts are given. I mean, what's to stop the restaurant from giving black people discounts, or women discounts... or, to reverse engineer it, charging higher prices to whites or men?

I just think it's dumb because I'm not sure what they're trying to promote, and because one can simply game the system so it promotes nothing at all.
do you think people with the disease that makes them age rapidly get aarp discounts at 10? since technically there probably gonna be dead before 20 so they are technically old as they are technically towards the end of their life span.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do you think people with the disease that makes them age rapidly get aarp discounts at 10? since technically there probably gonna be dead before 20 so they are technically old as they are technically towards the end of their life span.

You can always write and ask how they handle pronounced cases of progeria.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You can always write and ask how they handle pronounced cases of progeria.

probably not cuz they'd have to give a discount to anyone who was gonna die young. though i'd argue if you get diagnosed with cancer and giving 6 months to live you should get an aarp card since you are at the end of your life.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I mean, under the table people do that all that time (giving stupider people higher costs because they don't know how to haggle, etc.) but I think there is something showing clear, distinct discrimination in charging people more vs coupons and discounts. Maybe they should have just said, 'well, if you're atheist, you have to tell someone something nice to get a discount.' Or something. I dunno, I just don't see the fuss.. ladies nights were getting bitched about a while back I remember, and it seemed fine to me. Men liked it, women liked it, and more people got to go. I feel like these battles are just there to tear down things that don't have consequences AND are well intended.

probably not cuz they'd have to give a discount to anyone who was gonna die young. though i'd argue if you get diagnosed with cancer and giving 6 months to live you should get an aarp card since you are at the end of your life.

When I worked at Golden Corral we had a lady with a stomach issue with a card from her doctor saying she could only eat a toddler's portion of meals at a time. Nothing bigger than a kids meal could be ordered.. I made sure to tell her every time she came through the restaurant to get me as her cashier because the store wouldn't allow her to order a kid's buffet even though she couldn't eat an adult's buffet. So I just did it when the manager wasn't looking each time.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I mean, under the table people do that all that time (giving stupider people higher costs because they don't know how to haggle, etc.) but I think there is something showing clear, distinct discrimination in charging people more vs coupons and discounts. Maybe they should have just said, 'well, if you're atheist, you have to tell someone something nice to get a discount.' Or something. I dunno, I just don't see the fuss.. ladies nights were getting bitched about a while back I remember, and it seemed fine to me. Men liked it, women liked it, and more people got to go. I feel like these battles are just there to tear down things that don't have consequences AND are well intended.

When I worked at Golden Corral we had a lady with a stomach issue with a card from her doctor saying she could only eat a toddler's portion of meals at a time. Nothing bigger than a kids meal could be ordered.. I made sure to tell her every time she came through the restaurant to get me as her cashier because the store wouldn't allow her to order a kid's buffet even though she couldn't eat an adult's buffet. So I just did it when the manager wasn't looking each time.

yeah i usually eat about the amount of a kids portion at a time but i always have to buy the adult portion knowing i'm not going to finish it. why can't i buy the kids portion? and if i'm still hungry (which is extremely rare) i'll buy another. and the few times i ate more than a 3rd of the meal i would be puking an hour later because i don't eat a lot at a time so i feel extremely sick if i force myself to eat a lot

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
yeah i usually eat about the amount of a kids portion at a time but i always have to buy the adult portion knowing i'm not going to finish it. why can't i buy the kids portion? and if i'm still hungry (which is extremely rare) i'll buy another.

:laugh: I'm notorious for getting kids meals at fast food restaurants.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:laugh: I'm notorious for getting kids meals at fast food restaurants.

yeah I've been known to give half my food away when i eat out. one time I re tried salmon and figured i still hate it. this was at my house so it's not like it was the only thing i hate to eat. I took a bite ended up giving it to my uncle. so gross. eveyone was saying how amazing the salmon was so i was like hmmm might aswell

you know the scene in doctor who when matt smith first becomes the doctor and is trying all these foood combinations. lets just say i relate immensly.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
How odd.

I have been in some seriously religious countries and have never experienced something like this before.

Nicodemus

A prayer discount. That ranks among the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. The FFRF seems to be a bunch of dickheads.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
No problem with the restaurant's decision to offer the discount and then to pull it. Business owners should be allowed to run their business as they see fit. The bigger problem I see is the litigious nature of society today. The owner was basically bullied into reversing his decision. Enact "loser-pays" legislation and such instances of mob rule will diminish.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

That sounds pretty greedy on the part of the management. Although I can see the argument being raised that she could just get an adult one and eat a smaller portion of it.

But good on you anyhow.

And the prayer discount just makes me laugh and laugh. Perhaps a discount for looking like you are in deep thought?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That sounds pretty greedy on the part of the management. Although I can see the argument being raised that she could just get an adult one and eat a smaller portion of it.

But good on you anyhow.

And the prayer discount just makes me laugh and laugh. Perhaps a discount for looking like you are in deep thought?
Lol. The Socratic Discount.

- - - Updated - - -

No problem with the restaurant's decision to offer the discount and then to pull it. Business owners should be allowed to run their business as they see fit. The bigger problem I see is the litigious nature of society today. The owner was basically bullied into reversing his decision. Enact "loser-pays" legislation and such instances of mob rule will diminish.

Agreed.