First 456

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    I am not saying all discrimination is bad, I am just saying call it by it's name, and let the laws apply accordingly: Many restaurants discriminate in favor of people's who's birthday it is, there are hotels that discriminate in favor of newly weds, there are bars that discriminate in favor of whoever won the game of pool or darts, there are many businesses that give discounts for troops, the handicap, children or the elderly. There are also perfectly reasonable forms of discrimination, ranging from park rides that discriminate if your height places you in a dangerous position to Space X discriminating against people with heart conditions that are unlikely to survive a trip to orbit. But if we've determined that religion is off limit as a basis for discrimination, then it certainly applies in this case.
    That's fair.

My issue with this case is just a matter of proportion. I would like to see the big significant cases of discrimination handled with as much fervor and by the appropriate authorities as this small case has been handled by a third party.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    In response to both of these - like I said, I think it's jumping the gun, because it hasn't been determined that the restaurant won't give discounts to people of other beliefs. I live less than an hour from the place, and since I am used to life, culture, and customs in this area, I have a suspicion that it was not meant to be religious discrimination as much as it was meant to be an encourager of what the owners think is positive behavior and mindset. I think they were trying to reward people for being true to themselves and their beliefs in public.

So, while on legal grounds I agree that it was approaching murky water, I do not think the intent was to be a discriminatory policy. I think this is more of a stupid mistake than an intentional violation, and that it is more useful to treat it as such.
    As I said before:

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You're right, I doubt very much that the people who own the restaurant are "wretched Christian frowny-faced assholes" (I'll have to remember that line for later use ), and I doubt they meant to be discriminatory. They probably didn't know any better and probably have never known any different than what they've been doing. But what you call "spreading niceness" is not so nice: it's giving preferential treatment to (predominantly) Christians. Giving a discount for praying before a meal is the same as charging extra for not having prayed. That's a big no-no. And you can't just compel atheists or anybody else who doesn't or won't pray to do something instead like "have a moment of silence", because it's just prayer by another name.
    The law is very clear about it. It's not 'murky'. You can't "reward people for being true to ... their beliefs in public" because that's discriminatory. Being oblivious or ignorant of the law doesn't give you a free pass, despite good intentions.

I also think it is kind of funny that people are making a big deal of this case...
    "People" aren't making a big deal about it.

...it's from foxnews.com.
    And Fox News makes a big deal about it to pander to its audience.

And Fox News makes a big deal about it to pander to its audience.
    I thought that was their business model. No?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

The law is very clear about it. It's not 'murky'. You can't "reward people for being true to ... their beliefs in public" because that's discriminatory. Being oblivious or ignorant of the law doesn't give you a free pass, despite good intentions.
    I mean, yeah, it'd be great if all separation of church and state cases could be this clear. I'd like to see the federal government held to the same standards.

"People" aren't making a big deal about it.
    Like I said, I live near it. I hear from people who have actually been there and/or who frequent the place. Lol. I first heard about it from a friend who loves the place. I hate Fox News and do not consider it a valid news source. So, actually, people - real flesh and blood people! - are making a big deal out of it. I do totally think it's being overdone because of the backlash, and am annoyed by the hypocrisy. Many people who are angry that the law gets applied here but are the same people who want their belief systems put into law. Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I thought that was their business model. No?
    Of course that's its business model, a model it follows very thoroughly and consistently.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post