Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
No worries... I can understand a nerve being touched. I have a fundamentalist father from East Texas (Scottish and Irish) and a mother from West Texas (German and French), so I'm kind of a Euro-mutt. Still, I think fundamentalism in general owes a lot to Scottish Common Sense Realism... so wouldn't be surprised if it were stronger in the Scottish settled areas of the US.

Personally, I struggle a lot with psychological shame (not the social kind), and a lot of that I attribute to being raised fundamentalist and held to uncompromising standards that no human being could possibly live up to. I'm not particularly outgoing and social (although I do fine when I put myself out there), but I think that men are held to a more lax standard than women that way... even in the South. My identical twin-brother's wife would disagree, though, since I offended her 20+ years ago and she has never forgiven or forgotten.
My mother was slut shamed by her ex mother in law, even though said mother in laws son beat my mother. The police laughed at my mother when the same creep raped her while they were legally separated, claiming your husband can't rape you. My grandfather swooped in to save her by commandeering me after my dad, but also shamed her after her second divorce. Then grandfathers wife informed me in high school I clearly had my mother's tainted blood. Is it really any surprise I decided I would rather grow up to be Madonna or Courtney Love? I think it's why I had so many friends in the Raleigh gay scene in my late teens and early twenties. It's like, im not gay, but I am thoroughly sick of this shit too. I think I like people in a generation before me saw major U.S. cities as an escape to liberal and artistic freedom. To say I have psychological issues is an understatement, I should honestly pity my sister, selfish monster she is, at least I didn't suffer whatever befell her...I love the South though, the history, the old houses, the men opening doors and saying yes ma'am, the rednecky moral accountability, the people helping strangers and offering them tea or dinner... but then again I also miss the fabulous materialism of the 80s without consequence popular culture in childhood and I know that's not wholly right either.