User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 127

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Question Can religious people be genuinely decent?

    Do religious people - particularly belonging to religions of moral dogma - genuinely care about others well being? Or are they simply acting out of their own (Imagined) self interest (Scoring points for their afterlife game)? How can you know? How can they? Are there any situations in which acting for the benefit of others would not be in their own spiritual interest?

    Disclaimer: I don't mean simply in action, but in terms of intent.

  2. #2
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    I think the reformed aspects of religion have decent chances at it. I know many really religious people that are super decent, great people, that leave the judging up to their Gods.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #3
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    As someone who believes in religion as a whole, this is what I think: any self-proclaimed religious person who's kind and decent to others only to score good karma points is always going to be seen as shallow in my eyes. When a person is genuinely good at heart, kindness and goodwill towards others naturally come out.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  4. #4
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    As someone who believes in religion as a whole, this is what I think: any self-proclaimed religious person who's kind and decent to others only to score good karma points is always going to be seen as shallow in my eyes. When a person is genuinely good at heart, kindness and goodwill towards others naturally come out.
    Yes, but my thing is I'm not relgious at all and people have told me I can't possibly be a good person at all, that I have no morals or ethics when I do. what's you're take on those people? the ones that think I'm going to hell because I don't believe.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  5. #5
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,474

    Default

    Yes, individuals can be very decent people. I've met many a kind, caring fundamentalist. They may suspect that you're going to Hell, but that doesn't mean that they aren't upset about it, and believe that you will change or that they don't know your whole story. Instead of being overbearing, they just go on being good people and hope for the best for you.

  6. #6
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Yes, but my thing is I'm not relgious at all and people have told me I can't possibly be a good person at all, that I have no morals or ethics when I do. what's you're take on those people? the ones that think I'm going to hell because I don't believe.
    Well, I never said anything about a non-religious person not having any morals or ethics. I was simply referring to the religious ones who fake their kindness and decency.

    Forget about those who think that non-religious people are going to hell for not believing - I honestly think that's B.S. For example, my companion is an atheist who has good morals. Is he going to be sentenced to hell for being a good human being? Of course not!

    Just as @kyuuei mentioned, there are religious people out there who leave the judging up to their Gods. I do the same. It's not up to me to decide who goes to heaven or hell.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  7. #7
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    Well, I never said anything about a non-religious person not having any morals or ethics. I was simply referring to the religious ones who fake their kindness and decency.

    Forget about those who think that non-religious people are going to hell for not believing - I honestly think that's B.S. For example, my companion is an atheist who has good morals. Is he going to be sentenced to hell for being a good human being? Of course not!

    Just as @kyuuei mentioned, there are religious people out there who leave the judging up to their Gods. I do the same. It's not up to me to decide who goes to heaven or hell.
    I never said you did. I just simply asked your opinion on the situation. If I thought you thought that I would have said so. I'm not passive agressive.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  8. #8
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I never said you did. I just simply asked your opinion on the situation. If I thought you thought that I would have said so. I'm not passive agressive.
    Ah - my apologies, then. I must have misunderstood your statement the first time.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


  9. #9
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    Ah - my apologies, then. I must have misunderstood your statement the first time.
    This is why I'm buying an island. or at least hijacking one.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  10. #10
    A Gentle Whisper ~MS*ANGEL~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    This is why I'm buying an island. or at least hijacking one.
    Aww I'm sorry, sister. It was an honest mistake.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

    MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/


Similar Threads

  1. [ESTP] How can ESTP's be several steps ahead of people?
    By The Great One in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 07:22 AM
  2. How can inferior functions be developed?
    By GZA in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 07:32 AM
  3. Can unborn baby be killed with pregnancy?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 12:45 AM
  4. Can An ENTP Be Like This?
    By Mondo in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
  5. How can you still be undecided?
    By Angry Ayrab in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO