User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by renaiziphonts View Post
    I'm actually not religious. I'm agnostic. Heavily agnostic. I don't place faith in god, but I lack the hubris to denounce that which I can not understand.
    I didn't mean willing to debate your religious/theological beliefs, I meant willing to debate this belief:

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you're in the church of Christ our Superman, or Satan's Sharing Circle, whether you are insane, or autistic, whether you are man, woman, black or white. Everyone is unique and everyone has the same likely hood of doing good or bad. Being of a religion will not change who you are. That I am fairly passionate about, if not dramatic
    Beside's the point but I am not a militant or even positive atheist:

Further, in the specific topic, a rush to a deadline may be one of the biggest factors in deciding how a modern day christian will behave. They aren't all in prison, and they aren't all in third world countries, so my narrow set is the largest set.
    You are still arbitrarily picking circumstances that don't impact decisions within assumed circumstances that do in order to prove a gross generalization that circumstances in general don't impact our decisions.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Yes, but my thing is I'm not relgious at all and people have told me I can't possibly be a good person at all, that I have no morals or ethics when I do. what's you're take on those people? the ones that think I'm going to hell because I don't believe.
    They are ignorant Prplz. Ignore them and show them by example that they are wrong. Besides, I've heard that in Hell there is A LOT of cheese, fondue'ish due to the heat. It can't be that bad.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    It says nothing about whether the religion itself is moral.

I would argue that your "good" Christians and Muslims just ignore the hateful passages in their holy books, which makes them heretics. After all, who could possibly know better than god how his religion should be interpreted? Who are you to ignore some of his word and accept the other? Just another idiot human.
    I could just as well argue that "bad" Christians and Muslims ignore the passages that speak of love and humanity in their holy books, which makes them a dangerous bunch of extremists. Your argument is hereby invalid.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    I could just as well argue that "bad" Christians and Muslims ignore the passages that speak of love and humanity in their holy books, which makes them a dangerous bunch of extremists. Your argument is hereby invalid.
    @SilentMusings and @Morning Star are both right, ironically. Since religion is man-made, it often has contridictions and flaws. You can make those books say anything you want by choosing verses, then ignoring those that don't fit. There is a strong homophobic presence in the abrahamic religions, for example, but many moderates can select this out. I personally avoid eeligion for the reason it is so interpretive and people fight over it. I also can't square away the events in the book as logical (perhaps you could argue they are metaphore?).
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    They are ignorant Prplz. Ignore them and show them by example that they are wrong. Besides, I've heard that in Hell there is A LOT of cheese, fondue'ish due to the heat. It can't be that bad.
    that's what I do. I rarely brag about what I can do offline I'd rather demonstrate my abilities.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Do religious people - particularly belonging to religions of moral dogma - genuinely care about others well being? Or are they simply acting out of their own (Imagined) self interest (Scoring points for their afterlife game)? How can you know? How can they? Are there any situations in which acting for the benefit of others would not be in their own spiritual interest?

Disclaimer: I don't mean simply in action, but in terms of intent.
    Most definitely. I would at least hope that most people who know me consider me a decent person. I don't know many Christians who do good deeds for the sake of "afterlife points". And that's saying something, I know a LOT of Christians. Personally, I don't do good things to earn points with God. If I believed my standing with him was based on my actions I would be screwed. In fact I'm not even sure I know any Christians who really believe our actions on earth really affect standing in the afterlife... Most I know are in fact more concerned with having pure intentions. But, obviously there are exceptions. I also can't speak for other religions.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes Hard liked this post

I just do it for good Karma.

Edit - Just don't want to be driven by empathy. Empathy empathy stay away.

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Anyone can be good whatever religion they are
    Likes Hard, Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What is "good"? How do with define "good"? A religious book may instruct guidelines to say that we are good but ultimately they weren't designed by God but Man, and "Man" is hardly a proponent of anything standard for anything good. And if it was a God, we have no reason to believe God is truly a "good" and "perfect" being when the creations are far from, and never will be such. We merely strive for what is societally proper and we (hopefully) keep methods of self-survival and non-discrimination in mind actually logically important for the species.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENFP

Can religious people be decent? Religion does a great job with so many things. Anyone who thinks science will replace religion is a moron. Religion's like all narratives are formulated on a set of beliefs and stories surrounding those beliefs. Most of what we learn in school, would also fall into that category.