Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I dunno, aren't I pretty decent?

Default The Bourgeoisie and Pwned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Oh now THAT is SO Bourgeois of you!
    The bourgeoisie are the owners. I own no property.

But it is telling that popular slang in the USA is pwned.

Pwned is bourgeois crowing over those who don't own property, or in the disgusting slang of the USA, pwned is crowing over losers.

Pwned is a bourgeois corruption of the word owned. It is a word of the ownners, by the owners, and for the owners, and expresses contempt for the losers.

And of course the USA hates losers, while Oz loves losers.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Everyone has some kind of code that they live by. Everyone operates out of self-interest. We're taught early on that being nice to people means they'll be nice back -- and that respecting others means they'll respect you. We're taught that you can live a more fulfilling life if you are a better person. How is that not self-interest?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Default Religion, Trance, Suggestion, Love and Hope

All religions induce a trance plane in their followers. And in this trance plane the followers are suggestible. Most, but not all religions, give suggestions of love and hope.

So most religious followers are more hopeful and loving.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    All religions induce a trance plane in their followers. And in this trance plane the followers are suggestible. Most, but not all religions, give suggestions of love and hope.
    How, though? Usually, it does this through words, images and music. Art seems to have been developed originally with a religious purpose in mind, even before Christianity. Which begs the question of whether or not art can put someone in a trance state, too. This also suggests the role of art in propaganda and advertising.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Default The Suspension of Disbelief, Art, Religion, and Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    How, though? Usually, it does this through words, images and music. Art seems to have been developed originally with a religious purpose in mind, even before Christianity. Which begs the question of whether or not art can put someone in a trance state, too. This also suggests the role of art in propaganda and advertising.
    Sure, the measure of art is whether it succeeds in suspending disbelief. And the suspension of disbelief is a trance state where some of the critical faculties go to sleep and some of the creative faculties take centre stage.

This is equally true of religion as all religions depend on the suspension of disbelief. And as you point out so well, not so long ago there was no separation between art and religion. We see this in the great religious art of the West and in the Dreamtime of Aboriginees where art and religion are one.

And yes, propaganda and advertising depend on the suspension of disbelief.

The ultimate American propagandist, Edward Bernays, set this out in his book called, Propaganda.

To see Edward's history click on Edward Bernays- The Ultimate Propagandist - National History Day 2009 - YouTube

You can read how Edward Bernays created the American mind in his book, Propaganda, just click on http://www.whale.to/b/bernays.pdf

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

better question: who cares?
    if people do good, why does it matter what reason i had?
    if people do bad, why does it matter which devil told them to?
    why does it matter if i did it because of some intrinsic qualities or if i did it because i know i'm being watched by the almighty? either way, i did some good or bad. why does intention matter?
    i'm not talking about accidents: if your intention was good and you miscalculated or screwed it up in some way and you wound up doing bad, that's something else - that's has nothing to do with your nature, but with your competence.

but my question is, how is the internal process, be it conscience or fear of god; whichever drives one's action relevant to... i guess my question is, who cares? why is anyone asking?
    what good does this curiosity do anyone?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    9W1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    better question: who cares?
    if people do good, why does it matter what reason i had?
    if people do bad, why does it matter which devil told them to?
    why does it matter if i did it because of some intrinsic qualities or if i did it because i know i'm being watched by the almighty? either way, i did some good or bad. why does intention matter?
    i'm not talking about accidents: if your intention was good and you miscalculated or screwed it up in some way and you wound up doing bad, that's something else - that's has nothing to do with your nature, but with your competence.

but my question is, how is the internal process, be it conscience or fear of god; whichever drives one's action relevant to... i guess my question is, who cares? why is anyone asking?
    what good does this curiosity do anyone?
    Well, as far as whether intention matters, imagine you're on a date. I apologize in advance, this is the only relatable form I can think of. Anyways, you are on a date, and you think it went well, but the next day you discover that for the other, it was because of a bet, or something stupid. They went out with you for some external motivation, and the emotional connection you had imagined wasn't real. it would probably hurt a bit. At least a bit.

Ultimately, intentions only matter after the fact, when somebody gets what they wants, or what have you, but they can sometimes play a more important role than the action itself. Just my opinion though.

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    9W1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Do religious people - particularly belonging to religions of moral dogma - genuinely care about others well being? Or are they simply acting out of their own (Imagined) self interest (Scoring points for their afterlife game)? How can you know? How can they? Are there any situations in which acting for the benefit of others would not be in their own spiritual interest?

Disclaimer: I don't mean simply in action, but in terms of intent.
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you're in the church of Christ our Superman, or Satan's Sharing Circle, whether you are insane, or autistic, whether you are man, woman, black or white. Everyone is unique and everyone has the same likely hood of doing good or bad. Being of a religion will not change who you are. That I am fairly passionate about, if not dramatic, but here's some logical stuff to:

In law, it is considered illegal to kill. If it was not illegal, would you kill someone? I assume whether it is law or not doesn't change your choice, because right or wrong is only influenced by what you are told, not decided. You ultimately will have the same morality, and empathy, and will to do good, no matter where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by renaiziphonts View Post
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you're in the church of Christ our Superman, or Satan's Sharing Circle, whether you are insane, or autistic, whether you are man, woman, black or white. Everyone is unique and everyone has the same likely hood of doing good or bad. Being of a religion will not change who you are. That I am fairly passionate about, if not dramatic, but here's some logical stuff to:

In law, it is considered illegal to kill. If it was not illegal, would you kill someone? I assume whether it is law or not doesn't change your choice, because right or wrong is only influenced by what you are told, not decided. You ultimately will have the same morality, and empathy, and will to do good, no matter where you are.
    The simple fact is that we all fall under the Bell Curve.

This means that a tiny proportion are always good and a small proportion are always bad, and most of us in the middle are good and bad.

And statistically, what stops most of us from being bad is the likelihood of being caught.