Thread: Human rights

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default Human rights

Do they exist, and if so what are they?

I have always been uncomfortable with the idea that people are entitled to anything, both on a personal and ideological level. But there are a few things which I think help a society be stable and prosperous. So here are my musings on the subject:

1. Equality under the law between men, women and children who are members of the nation; also related to this,
    2. People should have the right to a fair trial (I prefer the civil to the common law legal system, however).
    3. A right to privacy and freedom from unwarranted government interference/spying.
    4. Freedom to own property and defend it from others, and related to this,
    5. A right to own firearms.
    6. The right to work in reasonable conditions, where you choose to do so domestically.
    7. National identity, sovereignty, self determination are inviolable and must be respected.

Things that I do not consider to be rights:
    Voting - this should be a privilege granted to those who demonstrate sufficient understanding
    Universal education, a set standard of living, welfare, etc...all inventions of the nanny state
    Marriage rights, for obvious reasons
    Asylum - this should be decided on a case by case basis.

Sounds more like civil rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Things that I do not consider to be rights: Voting.
    The totalitarians of the Left and Right and the Islamists are against liberal democracy.

So the totalitarians attack voting in order delegitimise liberal democracy.

Thank God the right to vote is enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Constitution of Australia, and as well, voting is compulsory in Australia so we know what the people want.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Dont forget the big five that every living organism needs to live:

http://www.mtlakes.org/staff/~wallac...liferev.08.pdf
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Permabanned

7. National identity, sovereignty, self determination are inviolable and must be respected.
    Are you talking about existing nationalities only, or are you suggesting that we should make this into an international right for any region that wants to gain sovereignty and defect from it's existing political entity? The first is boring, so for the sake of conversation I will just assume you mean the later.

What will be the factors that should be considered? What constitutes proof of a desire to defect? Local leaders who wish too do so? A local majority of people who would vote for it? How would boarder disputes with the existing entity should be managed? If Manchester wants to become a city state, and Britain is not fond of the idea, how should the UN react to allow it to do so peacefully?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Dont forget the big five that every living organism needs to live:

http://www.mtlakes.org/staff/~wallac...liferev.08.pdf
    I don't believe in a right to life.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Are you talking about existing nationalities only, or are you suggesting that we should make this into an international right for any region that wants to gain sovereignty and defect from it's existing political entity? The first is boring, so for the sake of conversation I will just assume you mean the later.
    Nationality is based on ethnicity, so yes, if an ethnic minority with historical connections to the area they live in wishes to secede I don't see why this should be blocked. As allowing an ethnic group political control of the land they have historical connection to logically prohibits mass immigration like we have today, it doesn't surprise me that there is so much opposition to the idea being applied in Western countries.

What will be the factors that should be considered? What constitutes proof of a desire to defect? Local leaders who wish too do so? A local majority of people who would vote for it? How would boarder disputes with the existing entity should be managed? If Manchester wants to become a city state, and Britain is not fond of the idea, how should the UN react to allow it to do so peacefully?
    Manchester wouldn't qualify under the criteria I mentioned as it is an English city. As for what qualifies, any group with enough determination and power to take control and form an independent state. I am cynical about whether referenda can solve political issues in a satisfactory way, the idea of 51% of the population being able to override 49% regardless of anything - democracy - has never appealed to me.

I am very uncomfortable with permanent international political organizations, the UN included. In a situation of conflict, neighbouring countries should set up a temporary board to help stabilise the process. It is not the job of a distant power to dictate borders, Britain did a terrible job at that earlier in the century and I would have hoped (maybe naively) that this would be a lesson.

Permabanned

Nationality is based on ethnicity, so yes, if an ethnic minority with historical connections to the area they live in wishes to secede, then this should not be opposed (eg Scottish, Basque people).

Manchester wouldn't qualify under the criteria I mentioned as it is an English city. As for what qualifies, any group with enough determination and power to take control and form an independent state. I am cynical about whether referenda can solve political issues in a satisfactory way, the idea of 51% of the population being able to override 49% regardless of anything - democracy - has never appealed to me.

I am very uncomfortable with permanent international political organizations, the UN included. In a situation of conflict, neighbouring countries should set up a temporary board to help stabilise the process. It is not the job of a distant power to dictate borders, Britain did a terrible job at that earlier in the century and I would have hoped (maybe naively) that this would be a lesson.
    So you didn't mean a right arbitrated or given by anyone, just a general moral right to rebel and take over your local region? Essentially no impact whatsoever other then you considering it moral...

For a moment it looked like you were onto something interesting. This turned boring fast

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

So you didn't mean a right arbitrated or given by anyone, just a general moral right to rebel and take over your local region? Essentially no impact whatsoever other then you considering it moral...

For a moment it looked like you were onto something interesting. This turned boring fast
    People rarely vote their way into secession, it requires force to break out. I am just being pragmatic, something that seems to go over the head of many on here.

I am pretty sure where this thread is going to go now so will retire unless/until I am proven wrong.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I don't believe in a right to life.
    That is sad.

Compared to those five, the ones you posted in the OP seem trivial to me - and the last one downright tyrannical. A state who demands respect but provides none back to its citizens, nor cares about their most basic needs? I'll pass.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”