• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cults

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do cults form, and why are they so successful?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my theory is people crave answers, and people are suseptiple to hive mind, and someone's like hey this works! shows people how great they're life is (whatever) and people who are desperate and aren't think critically might be like oh! ok! the key to happiness/truth/whatever answer they're looking for. And they become convinced that it is the only way and there is no other way. there is no arguing they have been brain washed. and because they've found the answer they bring in more people. and it grows

á´…eparted

passages
Cause yummy drinks.

592px-Kool-aid-Intro.jpg

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They give people a sense of purpose, a sense of being part of something bigger and special and a place where they're accepted, 'loved' and things that worry them get resolved for them - either by ideology or materialistically. It appears to be a quick cure for the loneliness, worry and pain that so many people carry within. It dispels that craving for being loved and accepted, the fear of rejection and the fear of having no idea what you're supposed to do with your life.

Iow, it's a way to inside a big bubble or cocoon, safeguarded from the world without isolating yourself in the process. And it is mighty appealing to feel like you do not have to worry about a thing in the world, that you re doing the right thing with your life and that all you have to do is listen and follow simple instruction to be safe.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They give people a sense of purpose, a sense of being part of something bigger and special and a place where they're accepted, 'loved' and things that worry them get resolved for them - either by ideology or materialistically. It appears to be a quick cure for the loneliness, worry and pain that so many people carry within. It dispels that craving for being loved and accepted, the fear of rejection and the fear of having no idea what you're supposed to do with your life.

Iow, it's a way to inside a big bubble or cocoon, safeguarded from the world without isolating yourself in the process. And it is mighty appealing to feel like you do not have to worry about a thing in the world, that you re doing the right thing with your life and that all you have to do is listen and follow simple instruction to be safe.

That was my expirience with the JW's, till I found they were run by a bunch of good-for-nothings...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you define a cult? What distinguishes a cult from other kinds of religious groups?

Mole

Permabanned

A cult is a shared group trance.

A cult is a shared group trance where the members are unable to terminate the trance at will.

And guess what! Typology Central is a shared group trance that we can't terminate at will.

Many members have tried to terminate their shared group trance on Typology Central but failed. They have tried and tried and failed and failed.

If you doubt me, try to terminate your group trance on Typology Central by leaving now immediately and permanently without coming back. I bet you can't. If so, you are hooked on the cult of Typology Central.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
How do you define a cult? What distinguishes a cult from other kinds of religious groups?

Religions are just big cults. Cults are defined by their success or failure.

There's little difference in the behaviour of pious Muslims and Bieber fangirls to me. The difference is that as the latter have no defined doctrine and poor organisation so they will die out while the former endures.

Chthonic

If you doubt me, try to terminate your group trance on Typology Central by leaving now immediately and permanently without coming back. I bet you can't. If so, you are hooked on the cult of Typology Central.

Is this a cry for help?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
They don't start out so harsh--the leaders are usually charismatic.. great speakers, who know their target audience on an intuitive level. (And I don't mean MBTI style intuitive necessarily.)

They collect broken people--people seeking something in their lives. People rejected. People humiliated that want a new life somewhere else. That need help. That want to get away from their current status. They take you in, with acceptance, and warmth, and caring, and understanding.

.. but it doesn't stay that way. You realize the only reason they care is because you must do what they say and do. You must think as they do. You must assimilate. Some people don't have a problem with this, and easily shed their old lives for new ones. Being accepted, and validated, is a powerful thing. And most strangers don't care to do this for other strangers.

But there's always a motive. People don't accept you for no reason at all. Some because they have moral obligations to fulfill. Some because they want to control you. Some because they like you and want to be with you. Whatever the reason, there is always a reason. But by the time you're joining a cult, you're at the point that you don't care.. or even worse--you do, but you can't see.

Frequently they start out as innocent things. Sororities. Fraternities. Group meet ups. Religious discussions. People can tell you and name warning signs of suicide all the time, off the top of their head, like its muscle memory--same with pedophiles. But no one wants to believe they'll ever encounter such terrible things.. so they don't actually see the warning signs they've been trained to notice. They're too subtle, and too inconvenient. How do you define sadness? Anger? How do you notice someone depressed vs just having a case of understandable blues? How do you know how much stress people have? It's hard. And it takes bravery to approach someone forwardly like that. Something many people lack. Most people, I'd argue. Cults are the same. You know what cults look like--until you're stepping into one. Then they look warm, inviting, maybe a little out of the ordinary.. but for a mind open to suggestion and not so firm in conviction.. it just looks like a group of friendly people that want you to be with them.

And it only takes a few. Especially for the breeding cults. The children are taught from birth. It's not even an issue for them. It takes a strong willed, intelligent child to break free from the constraints of their entire known society and parental figures. It's a sad thing to see, and happens frequently.

Before you know it, you're isolated.. and even if you wanted to leave--you can't. Everything you have was given to the cult. Your family abandoned you--or more like, you abandoned them. Your identity, who you are, what you have, how to survive.. it's all there. People have a hard time moving their households when they WANT to move.. and procrastinate on small tasks that make their lives better. Yet they expect people in cults to overhaul their entire thinking style and way of life as if it were so easy. It isn't easy to be uncomfortable--and stay that way--and realize who you are was nothing but a scam created by someone else. It's wrenching. In more extreme cases, they hold you there physically against your will. They don't feed you, and weaken you so you cannot fight back, and hold you down if you try to escape and lock you in. They physically isolate you so you cannot walk anywhere for civilization before dying. It's a terrible thing.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They don't start out so harsh--the leaders are usually charismatic.. great speakers, who know their target audience on an intuitive level. (And I don't mean MBTI style intuitive necessarily.)

They collect broken people--people seeking something in their lives. People rejected. People humiliated that want a new life somewhere else. That need help. That want to get away from their current status. They take you in, with acceptance, and warmth, and caring, and understanding.

.. but it doesn't stay that way. You realize the only reason they care is because you must do what they say and do. You must think as they do. You must assimilate. Some people don't have a problem with this, and easily shed their old lives for new ones. Being accepted, and validated, is a powerful thing. And most strangers don't care to do this for other strangers.

But there's always a motive. People don't accept you for no reason at all. Some because they have moral obligations to fulfill. Some because they want to control you. Some because they like you and want to be with you. Whatever the reason, there is always a reason. But by the time you're joining a cult, you're at the point that you don't care.. or even worse--you do, but you can't see.

Frequently they start out as innocent things. Sororities. Fraternities. Group meet ups. Religious discussions. People can tell you and name warning signs of suicide all the time, off the top of their head, like its muscle memory--same with pedophiles. But no one wants to believe they'll ever encounter such terrible things.. so they don't actually see the warning signs they've been trained to notice. They're too subtle, and too inconvenient. How do you define sadness? Anger? How do you notice someone depressed vs just having a case of understandable blues? How do you know how much stress people have? It's hard. And it takes bravery to approach someone forwardly like that. Something many people lack. Most people, I'd argue. Cults are the same. You know what cults look like--until you're stepping into one. Then they look warm, inviting, maybe a little out of the ordinary.. but for a mind open to suggestion and not so firm in conviction.. it just looks like a group of friendly people that want you to be with them.

And it only takes a few. Especially for the breeding cults. The children are taught from birth. It's not even an issue for them. It takes a strong willed, intelligent child to break free from the constraints of their entire known society and parental figures. It's a sad thing to see, and happens frequently.

Before you know it, you're isolated.. and even if you wanted to leave--you can't. Everything you have was given to the cult. Your family abandoned you--or more like, you abandoned them. Your identity, who you are, what you have, how to survive.. it's all there. People have a hard time moving their households when they WANT to move.. and procrastinate on small tasks that make their lives better. Yet they expect people in cults to overhaul their entire thinking style and way of life as if it were so easy. It isn't easy to be uncomfortable--and stay that way--and realize who you are was nothing but a scam created by someone else. It's wrenching. In more extreme cases, they hold you there physically against your will. They don't feed you, and weaken you so you cannot fight back, and hold you down if you try to escape and lock you in. They physically isolate you so you cannot walk anywhere for civilization before dying. It's a terrible thing.

It really is horrible. I escapad the worst of my mind-control group, but leaving has still been tough. I was raised in it, and I will truly be on my own without it. The teachings just don't add up when I look at them, so the level of control screams ''cult.''

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Religions are just big cults. Cults are defined by their success or failure.

There's little difference in the behaviour of pious Muslims and Bieber fangirls to me. The difference is that as the latter have no defined doctrine and poor organisation so they will die out while the former endures.
This is similar to my perspective, but in answering the OP, I would want to know what definition he is using. Otherwise we may easily end up writing at cross purposes to each other.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
This is similar to my perspective, but in answering the OP, I would want to know what definition he is using. Otherwise we may easily end up writing at cross purposes to each other.

Well I'll consult the dictionary and save OP the trouble.

English definition of “cult”
cult
noun (RELIGION) /kÊŒlt/
› [C] a religious group, often living together, whose beliefs are considered extreme or strange by many people: Their son ran away from home and joined a religious cult. › [C] a particular system of religious belief: the Hindu cult of Shiva
(Definition of cult noun (RELIGION) from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
^^ [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] This is a great example of why I dislike posting definitions and think we would be much better off letting the thread flow.

A cult can be anything. I agree that all cults are characterized by a religious fervour and unquestioning adoration of the leader. But supernatural beliefs aren't required for a cult, it can be tied with politics, or be unrelated to either (cue Justin Bieber, lol). The worship of Kim Il Sung and his descendants as a good example of a politically grounded cult.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

A cult is a shared group trance where the members are unable to terminate the trance at will.

And guess what! Typology Central is a shared group trance that we can't terminate at will.

Many members have tried to terminate their shared group trance on Typology Central but failed. They have tried and tried and failed and failed.

Is this your biography? I find your definition of cult to be too broad.

In general, I find the word "cult" to have such strong negative connotations that it's difficult to use. It gets applied to some groups with crazy beliefs, and not others. The only reasonable definition of cult I can think of is a religion that hasn't stood the test of time. Hence, Mormonism is called a cult by some, because it only dates to the 19th century. If you know people who follow something you don't, but they don't seem too weird, we say they follow a religion, not a cult. Historically speaking, most religions weren't something you could just walk up and leave, either. You might not have been killed always, but you would have been shunned by your friends and family. Hell, that still happens to people today.

Granted, the cults that commit mass suicide tend not to live long enough to earn "normal religion" status.

Mole

Permabanned
Is this a cry for help?

Once I realised I was a dyed in the wool member of the cult of Typology Central, I had two choices.

I could leave, or I could stay and awaken the other members.

I have chosen to stay and wake my fellow members.

Naturally this brings me only obloquy as no one likes to be rudely awakened from their slumbers.