User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: The soul

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

I'm pretty sure you could strap on a hydraulic exoskeleton to a corpse you just dug up, and make it move around and stuff.

Hell, my cousin could probably do that with old dirt bike parts.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    your spirit is your breath. to "aspirate". to "aspire". spirit. same sort of thing.

it's the one definition of spirit that could take on consensus.

if we can't define spirit, there isn't any use talking about it.

i like the definition of spirit being the "act of living". to breathe. to aspire.

but souls are different you see? humans have a spirit, but humans are souls.

without the definitions, conclusions can't be had easily..
    I see both as the same thing, the soul and spirit is the force that drives the body. It is like a force that can't be seen in the physical world because there is no proof of it but it is seen as the essential of our very being.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think that the soul originates within DNA, it's basically 3 dimensional digital coding that provides the blueprint for all life, it's biological software to create everything about every living thing on planet earth.
    Therefore every living thing has DNA & has a soul, so all you vegans out there are devouring the flesh where a tiny living soul once dwelled.

IMHO the spirit is separate from the soul, it's been said that the spirit is contained within the blood.
    Blood is useless after death, therefore death might be better defined as the instant the ascending spirit can no longer return to the body.
    IOW you may be dead on an operating table for a few minutes but if oxygenated blood is pumped through your body the spirit will remain.

IOW so long as the spark caused by our DNA building cells is present, the soul is alive even when an individual is brain dead & the consciously aware mind no longer exists.
    Maybe someday artificial blood will alter or eliminate the spirit but the body can't exist without the DNA provided soul. just my $0.02

Because we were unable to explain consciousness, we invented the Woo Hoo soul.

But today we know the origin of consciousness, so the soul has gone the way of the Earth centric universe.

And if we want to know where consciousness came from read The Origin of Consciousness by Julian Jaynes.

Or if we prefer not to know, we can keep on saying God created our soul, made in His image and likeness.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    If there is no such existence as a soul or a spirit then why can't dead people be brought back to life? similar to how a machine gets brought back to life when changing a broken part or material? thoughts?
    There has never been a successful attempt to prove the existence of a soul.

For once I have to agree with Mole, the soul basically "stood in": providing a superficially convenient explanation before neuroscience and investigation of consciousness.

However, such beliefs were abandoned a long time ago, mainly because postulating the existence of a soul raises other questions:

1. Are humans the only creatures to have souls, or does all life have them? If the former, at what point in evolution was the soul injected? If the latter, the soul can't be related to consciousness at all.
    2. Assuming the existence of a soul doesn't explain how that soul comes to exist. Instead of answering the question it actually makes it far more complicated by dividing a human being into two distinct entities.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    There has never been a successful attempt to prove the existence of a soul.

For once I have to agree with Mole, the soul basically "stood in": providing a superficially convenient explanation before neuroscience and investigation of consciousness.

However, such beliefs were abandoned a long time ago, mainly because postulating the existence of a soul raises other questions:

1. Are humans the only creatures to have souls, or does all life have them? If the former, at what point in evolution was the soul injected? If the latter, the soul can't be related to consciousness at all.
    2. Assuming the existence of a soul doesn't explain how that soul comes to exist. Instead of answering the question it actually makes it far more complicated by dividing a human being into two distinct entities.
    I agree with this, especially #2 in terms of the unnecessary complication.

But seriously, considering the rate of miscarriage (as one small factor), it just begins to seem ridiculous to imagine souls, when they might be created, what types of creatures "get them," etc... and no way to measure or quantify any of it. IOW, it's invariably a theological construct rather than anything whose existence we have postulated from evidence.

...As far as the body works, as others have said, yes, we've been able to bring back people who were clinically dead, under the correct conditions. But as we've discovered, the body possesses mechanisms that lead to it breaking down on a cellular level even if the body seems healthy enough to come back to life. (e.g., heart attack victims restored to life without freezing first). There's just a lot going on in the body that we don't necessarily understand. The more we learn, the more successful we are, but still after a certain amount of time enough breaks down that restoration to life is not possible.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree with this, especially #2 in terms of the unnecessary complication.

But seriously, considering the rate of miscarriage (as one small factor), it just begins to seem ridiculous to imagine souls, when they might be created, what types of creatures "get them," etc... and no way to measure or quantify any of it. IOW, it's invariably a theological construct rather than anything whose existence we have postulated from evidence.
    A soul in the literal sense which OP is talking about was just a 17th century way to explain how humans are capable of rational thought, while other animals aren't.

Souls in the sense you are using is a lot more abstract, it's not black and white. To take your example, people could argue that a miscarriage might not be a bad thing if the baby was genetically damaged in some way.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    A soul in the literal sense which OP is talking about was just a 17th century way to explain how humans are capable of rational thought, while other animals aren't.

Souls in the sense you are using is a lot more abstract, it's not black and white. To take your example, people could argue that a miscarriage might not be a bad thing if the baby was genetically damaged in some way.
    Would you like to specify an exact definition?
    I mean, obviously there are many many many different definitions for a construct like the "soul" so I was sticking with it as a general term.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Would you like to specify an exact definition?
    I mean, obviously there are many many many different definitions for a construct like the "soul" so I was sticking with it as a general term.
    I could, but I'm not the thread starter and it's his job to make that clear to everyone

I am just running with what previous posted have suggested indirectly.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera View Post
    I think that the soul originates within DNA, it's basically 3 dimensional digital coding that provides the blueprint for all life, it's biological software to create everything about every living thing on planet earth.
    Therefore every living thing has DNA & has a soul, so all you vegans out there are devouring the flesh where a tiny living soul once dwelled.

IMHO the spirit is separate from the soul, it's been said that the spirit is contained within the blood.
    Blood is useless after death, therefore death might be better defined as the instant the ascending spirit can no longer return to the body.
    IOW you may be dead on an operating table for a few minutes but if oxygenated blood is pumped through your body the spirit will remain.

IOW so long as the spark caused by our DNA building cells is present, the soul is alive even when an individual is brain dead & the consciously aware mind no longer exists.
    Maybe someday artificial blood will alter or eliminate the spirit but the body can't exist without the DNA provided soul. just my $0.02
    INteresting idea I have a similar view in that I think there is a scientific explanation of the spirit and it exists in our world not a seperate world.