User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Christianity: I'm Starting a Support Group for People on the Streets

Even though I don't believe in the religious aspects of Christianity. I've seen what it has done in peoples lives and I see the potential in what it can do for a person that needs hope and a community. Therefore I'm starting starting a program with the youth ministry that I go to currently. I'm open to any questions, ideas and feedback you may have to offer me in this endeavor

if you've never done anything like this before it might be good to volunteer with a group that is already working with street people in your neighborhood to get some experience before launching out on your own. read books and blogs and check out other ministries/groups that are already doing this. it's very hard work and you might as well learn as much as you can from others who have experience.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    if you've never done anything like this before it might be good to volunteer with a group that is already working with street people in your neighborhood to get some experience before launching out on your own. read books and blogs and check out other ministries/groups that are already doing this. it's very hard work and you might as well learn as much as you can from others who have experience.
    I've volunteered since I was 15 so no worries on that front besides i'm not running it, I'm simply starting it and I've been researching it for the past month

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    I've volunteered since I was 15 so no worries on that front besides i'm not running it, I'm simply starting it and I've been researching it for the past month
    that's great that you have experience. the only other thing i'd say is be really clear about who and what you represent. if you say you are christian but really aren't trust me the street people will figure that out quite quickly and will feel really betrayed and they'll never trust you again. their trust is quite fragile to begin with so you have to be honest with them so as not to further hurt them. they have been messed enough with in their lives. you can offer them a lot from whatever your church represents so just be honest and upfront about it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    that's great that you have experience. the only other thing i'd say is be really clear about who and what you represent. if you say you are christian but really aren't trust me the street people will figure that out quite quickly and will feel really betrayed and they'll never trust you again. their trust is quite fragile to begin with so you have to be honest with them so as not to further hurt them. they have been messed enough with in their lives. you can offer them a lot from whatever your church represents so just be honest and upfront about it.
    I live the Christ-like life and have the same ideals as the poor man himself, so no worries. There is a difference between Christ-like and bible belt christian

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Even though I don't believe in the religious aspects of Christianity. I've seen what it has done in peoples lives and I see the potential in what it can do for a person that needs hope and a community. Therefore I'm starting starting a program with the youth ministry that I go to currently. I'm open to any questions, ideas and feedback you may have to offer me in this endeavor
    Rock on. have you guys already discussed something?

My purpose lies with the church but I've yet to figure out what exactly that is, so for now I'm just trying to get involved at all.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flame View Post
    Rock on. have you guys already discussed something?

My purpose lies with the church but I've yet to figure out what exactly that is, so for now I'm just trying to get involved at all.
    Instead of the typical giving out pamphlets, Bibles and telling them about the resurrection. Our goal is to befriend them take them out for beer/coffee or for food talk to them/get to know them and be there for them through exchanging numbers, e-mails, where we can find them etc.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Instead of the typical giving out pamphlets, Bibles and telling them about the resurrection. Our goal is to befriend them take them out for beer/coffee or for food talk to them/get to know them and be there for them through exchanging numbers, e-mails, where we can find them etc.
    I think that's great and I hope it works out for you and you can accomplish some good.

Still, after having spent 25-30 years doing various forms of Christian ministry in a variety of settings, I'm kinda on the side that you're just upfront with what you're offering so that there's no assumptions being made about what you're doing for the kids. if you are going to represent a particular organization, I think it's good for them to know what you are about and what you are contributing. if the Christian group is cool with that, then great. If not, find another group. It sounds like you have a heart for helping kids.

So what's the endgame for your efforts? Specifically, what kinds of tangible things/goals are there, besides "helping kids"? It helps if you can quantify some things. Are you just trying to be their friend/support network? Why would they come to you versus hanging out with their peers, for example? What exactly are you offering them that they can't get elsewhere? I think the more specific the vision is, the easier it is to know when you're doing it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think that's great and I hope it works out for you and you can accomplish some good.

Still, after having spent 25-30 years doing various forms of Christian ministry in a variety of settings, I'm kinda on the side that you're just upfront with what you're offering so that there's no assumptions being made about what you're doing for the kids. if you are going to represent a particular organization, I think it's good for them to know what you are about and what you are contributing. if the Christian group is cool with that, then great. If not, find another group. It sounds like you have a heart for helping kids.

So what's the endgame for your efforts? Specifically, what kinds of tangible things/goals are there, besides "helping kids"? It helps if you can quantify some things. Are you just trying to be their friend/support network? Why would they come to you versus hanging out with their peers, for example? What exactly are you offering them that they can't get elsewhere? I think the more specific the vision is, the easier it is to know when you're doing it.
    Lol I'm a kid. My goal is to bring them to a group of people that care for them (Christian Community) if they are interested in the offer. Therefore I would say that my end-goal is a friend/support network.
    I would only be able to help them if they want the help in other words tell them about the gospel and give them a family, now if they are not interested simply listening to their stories and getting to know them is something I can benefit from as an aspiring social critic.

I live the Christ-like life and have the same ideals as the poor man himself, so no worries. There is a difference between Christ-like and bible belt christian
    i agree there is a difference between being christ-like and a bible belt christian. the latter kind of scare me. it's great that you want to help street people. i wish you well with your endeavors!