• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christianity: I'm Starting a Support Group for People on the Streets

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20474]OptoGypsy[/MENTION] What you are doing sounds pretty awesome, though I do think some of the questions that have been asked are valid. I only have a little experience with what you are talking about, I've volunteered in Youth Ministry for 3 years and done simmilar-ish outreach on serving trips to inner city areas-- mostly sitting across tables from the marginalized, having conversation and sharing stories. In general, it's important to let the Spirit lead (not have too many concrete expectations or try to control the situation) but I do think the best ministries are intentional about planning to some extent. It's great that this program will (it sounds like) be a leg of the Youth Ministry, that gives you guys a jumping off point and people with experience to check in with and get direction from. I think Christ really called all of his followers to be on this kind of mission daily, even with random people we pass on the street, sit next to at school/work, etc. It's a call to actually see people and value them the way God does. I guess my only insight would be to keep that in mind, that we're called to treat everyone that way, not just the druggies and prostitutes (as you put it). We're all hurt, if in different ways.

It sounds like you have a heart for people, that's really cool. :hifive:

On your advice I do that but it does seem to me that allot of Christians won't speak to prostitution, druggies, drug dealers for selfish reasons such as image, selfishness, fear etc. It's why I'm starting the program because the way I see it God is dead in America in that Christians have pushed him aside and are simply only holding the title of Christian

:biggrin:

Beorn

Permabanned
I have some experience with urban ministry so I'll chime in a little although so far I have very little idea of what you're exactly you're doing which is fine since you're just planning.

The first thing I think you should understand is that people need dignity. The type of relationships that many urban and poverty ministries create do not instill dignity. People need help and support, yes, to get by, but to be fully human people need to support and help. Those relationships won't inculcate dignity unless there is some mutual dependence. This is why along with meal programs, AA, and bible studies the really important work and the real relationships are best built doing community projects together with the people you're serving ideally in a situation where the people serving don't outnumber the people being served.

You may meet people's needs by giving them food or having a conversation with them, but you're not necessarily empowering them to gain dignity.

Beorn

Permabanned
On your advice I do that but it does seem to me that allot of Christians won't speak to prostitution, druggies, drug dealers for selfish reasons such as image, selfishness, fear etc. It's why I'm starting the program because the way I see it God is dead in America in that Christians have pushed him aside and are simply only holding the title of Christian

Honestly, I've found mostly the opposite to be the case. Many Christians want to do urban ministry because it's sexy while they ignore more mundane yet much more fundamental duties (like actually getting to know and care about their actual physical neighbors) or do urban ministry in such a way in which they're really not helping anyone, but hey it makes them feel good. Just because somebody isn't hanging out with prostitutes doesn't mean they're not being Christ-like. God knows there's plenty of pain and suffering to address wherever God places someone even if that place is in the middle of the suburbs.

The bizarre thing is that when suburbanites venture out of their own communities it's almost always to help urban poor black people, while rural poor white people are almost completely ignored.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
its like a youthgroup but for people who are 26-30 years old. just bible study groups etc.

Hahaha in the Ukrainian culture that age group goes to family study groups to try to escape their five children lol :)

Beorn

Permabanned
Hahaha in the Ukrainian culture that age group goes to family study groups to try to escape their five children lol :)

Are you in NOrth America or some place else?

Because, my critique above really only applies to America and Canada.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have some experience with urban ministry so I'll chime in a little although so far I have very little idea of what you're exactly you're doing which is fine since you're just planning.

The first thing I think you should understand is that people need dignity. The type of relationships that many urban and poverty ministries create do not instill dignity. People need help and support, yes, to get by, but to be fully human people need to support and help. Those relationships won't inculcate dignity unless there is some mutual dependence. This is why along with meal programs, AA, and bible studies the really important work and the real relationships are best built doing community projects together with the people you're serving ideally in a situation where the people serving don't outnumber the people being served.

You may meet people's needs by giving them food or having a conversation with them, but you're not necessarily empowering them to gain dignity.
I'm going to need to make sure that's in the plan Thank You for your impute :) I'm going to need to make sure to interact everyone from every wake of life as much as I can as quoted from Socrates "every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

Beorn

Permabanned
Yeah, Ukrainians are one of the hardest groups of people to socialize :)

I'm confused. Are you in America, but serving Ukrainians here or are you in Ukraine?

I presumed you were in America because you mentioned the bible-belt above.

wildflower

Instead of the typical giving out pamphlets, Bibles and telling them about the resurrection. Our goal is to befriend them take them out for beer/coffee or for food talk to them/get to know them and be there for them through exchanging numbers, e-mails, where we can find them etc.

just a thought: it's better to take a street person out for coffee but not beer because they may be an alcoholic or addict. nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation but not in a street ministry where addiction runs rampant.

Nicodemus

Even though I don't believe in the religious aspects of Christianity. I've seen what it has done in peoples lives and I see the potential in what it can do for a person that needs hope and a community.
Why not give them hope and community instead of a false belief in supernatural supervision?

Nicodemus

The only reliable thing about the future is that you will die. Why promote the belief that anything that happens between now and then matters?
I know you hope to find inconsistency here, but this is a very lame attempt.

Beorn

Permabanned
I know you hope to find inconsistency here, but this is a very lame attempt.

You are being inconsistent when you want people to pretend things matter when you believe in reality they don't. But, I'd much prefer you continue in your inconsistency than actually live out your beliefs about the nature of the universe.

Nicodemus

You are being inconsistent when you want people to pretend things matter when you believe in reality they don't.
Another lame attempt. I said nothing about what I want to do.

It appears that after all these years you still mistake me for a fundamentalist. I don't tell people what to believe. I make arguments to challenge ideas.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm confused. Are you in America, but serving Ukrainians here or are you in Ukraine?

I presumed you were in America because you mentioned the bible-belt above.

I'm a Ukrainian that lives in America, I was simply comparing the two

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think both you and [MENTION=5789]Beorn[/MENTION] are correct, both of these areas are issues (two sides of a coin, really) that we have to keep in perspective. Reaching out, but still serving and loving our own neighbors and people within reach.
[MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION] I think the goal is to give them community as well as the only hope that lasts and actually satisfies. Think about it, what else could a human find hope in? Other humans (family, friends, a SO, kids), material wealth, a specific interest (the arts, cooking, sports, etc.), success-- but none of that satisfies or makes us whole, and we will lose it all when we die. There's this guy named Soloman who was King of Israel (started in 967 B.C.E) who literally had everything anyone could want or need to have hope, love and happiness. He writes about it in the book called Ecclesiastes and how he finds it all totally meaningless. Also, note: he was the wisest man of his time. He ultimately finds his hope in God (even though this is before Christ and the whole salvation bit).

I've got to agree with the guy, I haven't found anything in this world that satisfies and sustains me like my relationship with Christ (and I've tried to find fulfillment in a lot of crap). So, when I see hopeless people, it's natural to want to share that with them. Not because they must hear and accept it, but because I want everyone to experience the freedom I've found. It would actually be kind of selfish not to.

That's my take anyway.

Nicodemus

Think about it, what else could a human find hope in? Other humans (family, friends, a SO, kids), material wealth, a specific interest (the arts, cooking, sports, etc.), success-- but none of that satisfies or makes us whole, and we will lose it all when we die.
That is simply not true. People find hope and satisfaction is a variety of things. Nature made sure that family, friends, and children are most important to human beings.

As for 'making whole', what does that even mean?