• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christianity: I'm Starting a Support Group for People on the Streets

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even though I don't believe in the religious aspects of Christianity. I've seen what it has done in peoples lives and I see the potential in what it can do for a person that needs hope and a community. Therefore I'm starting starting a program with the youth ministry that I go to currently. I'm open to any questions, ideas and feedback you may have to offer me in this endeavor :)

wildflower

if you've never done anything like this before it might be good to volunteer with a group that is already working with street people in your neighborhood to get some experience before launching out on your own. read books and blogs and check out other ministries/groups that are already doing this. it's very hard work and you might as well learn as much as you can from others who have experience.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if you've never done anything like this before it might be good to volunteer with a group that is already working with street people in your neighborhood to get some experience before launching out on your own. read books and blogs and check out other ministries/groups that are already doing this. it's very hard work and you might as well learn as much as you can from others who have experience.

I've volunteered since I was 15 so no worries on that front besides i'm not running it, I'm simply starting it and I've been researching it for the past month :)

wildflower

I've volunteered since I was 15 so no worries on that front besides i'm not running it, I'm simply starting it and I've been researching it for the past month :)

that's great that you have experience. the only other thing i'd say is be really clear about who and what you represent. if you say you are christian but really aren't trust me the street people will figure that out quite quickly and will feel really betrayed and they'll never trust you again. their trust is quite fragile to begin with so you have to be honest with them so as not to further hurt them. they have been messed enough with in their lives. you can offer them a lot from whatever your church represents so just be honest and upfront about it.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that's great that you have experience. the only other thing i'd say is be really clear about who and what you represent. if you say you are christian but really aren't trust me the street people will figure that out quite quickly and will feel really betrayed and they'll never trust you again. their trust is quite fragile to begin with so you have to be honest with them so as not to further hurt them. they have been messed enough with in their lives. you can offer them a lot from whatever your church represents so just be honest and upfront about it.

I live the Christ-like life and have the same ideals as the poor man himself, so no worries. There is a difference between Christ-like and bible belt christian

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Even though I don't believe in the religious aspects of Christianity. I've seen what it has done in peoples lives and I see the potential in what it can do for a person that needs hope and a community. Therefore I'm starting starting a program with the youth ministry that I go to currently. I'm open to any questions, ideas and feedback you may have to offer me in this endeavor :)

Rock on. have you guys already discussed something?

My purpose lies with the church but I've yet to figure out what exactly that is, so for now I'm just trying to get involved at all.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rock on. have you guys already discussed something?

My purpose lies with the church but I've yet to figure out what exactly that is, so for now I'm just trying to get involved at all.

Instead of the typical giving out pamphlets, Bibles and telling them about the resurrection. Our goal is to befriend them take them out for beer/coffee or for food talk to them/get to know them and be there for them through exchanging numbers, e-mails, where we can find them etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Instead of the typical giving out pamphlets, Bibles and telling them about the resurrection. Our goal is to befriend them take them out for beer/coffee or for food talk to them/get to know them and be there for them through exchanging numbers, e-mails, where we can find them etc.

I think that's great and I hope it works out for you and you can accomplish some good.

Still, after having spent 25-30 years doing various forms of Christian ministry in a variety of settings, I'm kinda on the side that you're just upfront with what you're offering so that there's no assumptions being made about what you're doing for the kids. if you are going to represent a particular organization, I think it's good for them to know what you are about and what you are contributing. if the Christian group is cool with that, then great. If not, find another group. It sounds like you have a heart for helping kids.

So what's the endgame for your efforts? Specifically, what kinds of tangible things/goals are there, besides "helping kids"? It helps if you can quantify some things. Are you just trying to be their friend/support network? Why would they come to you versus hanging out with their peers, for example? What exactly are you offering them that they can't get elsewhere? I think the more specific the vision is, the easier it is to know when you're doing it.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that's great and I hope it works out for you and you can accomplish some good.

Still, after having spent 25-30 years doing various forms of Christian ministry in a variety of settings, I'm kinda on the side that you're just upfront with what you're offering so that there's no assumptions being made about what you're doing for the kids. if you are going to represent a particular organization, I think it's good for them to know what you are about and what you are contributing. if the Christian group is cool with that, then great. If not, find another group. It sounds like you have a heart for helping kids.

So what's the endgame for your efforts? Specifically, what kinds of tangible things/goals are there, besides "helping kids"? It helps if you can quantify some things. Are you just trying to be their friend/support network? Why would they come to you versus hanging out with their peers, for example? What exactly are you offering them that they can't get elsewhere? I think the more specific the vision is, the easier it is to know when you're doing it.

Lol I'm a kid. My goal is to bring them to a group of people that care for them (Christian Community) if they are interested in the offer. Therefore I would say that my end-goal is a friend/support network.
I would only be able to help them if they want the help in other words tell them about the gospel and give them a family, now if they are not interested simply listening to their stories and getting to know them is something I can benefit from as an aspiring social critic.

wildflower

I live the Christ-like life and have the same ideals as the poor man himself, so no worries. There is a difference between Christ-like and bible belt christian

i agree there is a difference between being christ-like and a bible belt christian. the latter kind of scare me. it's great that you want to help street people. i wish you well with your endeavors! :)

wildflower

i agree there is a difference between being christ-like and a bible belt christian. the latter kind of scare me. it's great that you want to help street people. i wish you well with your endeavors! :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol I'm a kid. My goal is to bring them to a group of people that care for them (Christian Community) if they are interested in the offer. Therefore I would say that my end-goal is a friend/support network.

haha, okay. I thought you were older. But you're actually basically "within the peer group"?

So what specifically does the group offer? Are there specific activities? Do you guys actually do worship things and retreats and stuff, or do you have a band come in (or maybe organize one among yourselves and the other kids)? Usually there has to be some kind of drawing points to provide a hub of community so that when people do have problems, they have a group to fall back on. Common activities of interest provide some kind of cohesion.

I know you mentioned "street kids" but what's the demographic? How common is violence? Are parents around much? What's the income level? Etc. Just curious.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha, okay. I thought you were older. But you're actually basically "within the peer group"?

So what specifically does the group offer? Are there specific activities? Do you guys actually do worship things and retreats and stuff, or do you have a band come in (or maybe organize one among yourselves and the other kids)? Usually there has to be some kind of drawing points to provide a hub of community so that when people do have problems, they have a group to fall back on. Common activities of interest provide some kind of cohesion.

I know you mentioned "street kids" but what's the demographic? How common is violence? Are parents around much? What's the income level? Etc. Just curious.

Why would they need to find us when we can find them. I'm Confused with what you are asking,"I know you mentioned "street kids" but what's the demographic? How common is violence? Are parents around much? What's the income level?
Etc. Just curious."

Prostitutes, Drug Dealers, Druggies, Homeless, etc.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why would they need to find us when we can find them. I'm Confused with what you are asking,"I know you mentioned "street kids" but what's the demographic? How common is violence? Are parents around much? What's the income level?
Etc. Just curious."

Prostitutes, Drug Dealers, Druggies, Homeless, etc.

I wasn't really sure of the demographic, but you clarified it for me. Do you guys provide any food and housing for them?

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't really sure of the demographic, but you clarified it for me. Do you guys provide any food and housing for them?

We haven't talked about the specifics yet, but my goal is to help provide them with the necessities for survival.

Just out of curiosity how old did you think I was?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

Sounds unusual. My church has what are called "life groups."

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=20474]OptoGypsy[/MENTION] What you are doing sounds pretty awesome, though I do think some of the questions that have been asked are valid. I only have a little experience with what you are talking about, I've volunteered in Youth Ministry for 3 years and done simmilar-ish outreach on serving trips to inner city areas-- mostly sitting across tables from the marginalized, having conversation and sharing stories. In general, it's important to let the Spirit lead (not have too many concrete expectations or try to control the situation) but I do think the best ministries are intentional about planning to some extent. It's great that this program will (it sounds like) be a leg of the Youth Ministry, that gives you guys a jumping off point and people with experience to check in with and get direction from. I think Christ really called all of his followers to be on this kind of mission daily, even with random people we pass on the street, sit next to at school/work, etc. It's a call to actually see people and value them the way God does. I guess my only insight would be to keep that in mind, that we're called to treat everyone that way, not just the druggies and prostitutes (as you put it). We're all hurt, if in different ways.

It sounds like you have a heart for people, that's really cool. :hifive: