User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Why not give them hope and community instead of a false belief in supernatural supervision?
    Hope in what?

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Hope in what?
    A better future.

A better future.
    The only reliable thing about the future is that you will die. Why promote the belief that anything that happens between now and then matters?

A better future.
    The only reliable thing about the future is that you will die. Why promote the belief that anything that happens between now and then matters?

I know you hope to find inconsistency here, but this is a very lame attempt.

I know you hope to find inconsistency here, but this is a very lame attempt.
    You are being inconsistent when you want people to pretend things matter when you believe in reality they don't. But, I'd much prefer you continue in your inconsistency than actually live out your beliefs about the nature of the universe.

You are being inconsistent when you want people to pretend things matter when you believe in reality they don't.
    Another lame attempt. I said nothing about what I want to do.

It appears that after all these years you still mistake me for a fundamentalist. I don't tell people what to believe. I make arguments to challenge ideas.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I'm confused. Are you in America, but serving Ukrainians here or are you in Ukraine?

I presumed you were in America because you mentioned the bible-belt above.
    I'm a Ukrainian that lives in America, I was simply comparing the two

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OptoGypsy View Post
    On your advice I do that but it does seem to me that allot of Christians won't speak to prostitution, druggies, drug dealers for selfish reasons such as image, selfishness, fear etc. It's why I'm starting the program because the way I see it God is dead in America in that Christians have pushed him aside and are simply only holding the title of Christian

I think both you and @Beorn are correct, both of these areas are issues (two sides of a coin, really) that we have to keep in perspective. Reaching out, but still serving and loving our own neighbors and people within reach.

@Nicodemus I think the goal is to give them community as well as the only hope that lasts and actually satisfies. Think about it, what else could a human find hope in? Other humans (family, friends, a SO, kids), material wealth, a specific interest (the arts, cooking, sports, etc.), success-- but none of that satisfies or makes us whole, and we will lose it all when we die. There's this guy named Soloman who was King of Israel (started in 967 B.C.E) who literally had everything anyone could want or need to have hope, love and happiness. He writes about it in the book called Ecclesiastes and how he finds it all totally meaningless. Also, note: he was the wisest man of his time. He ultimately finds his hope in God (even though this is before Christ and the whole salvation bit).

I've got to agree with the guy, I haven't found anything in this world that satisfies and sustains me like my relationship with Christ (and I've tried to find fulfillment in a lot of crap). So, when I see hopeless people, it's natural to want to share that with them. Not because they must hear and accept it, but because I want everyone to experience the freedom I've found. It would actually be kind of selfish not to.

That's my take anyway.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    Think about it, what else could a human find hope in? Other humans (family, friends, a SO, kids), material wealth, a specific interest (the arts, cooking, sports, etc.), success-- but none of that satisfies or makes us whole, and we will lose it all when we die.
    That is simply not true. People find hope and satisfaction is a variety of things. Nature made sure that family, friends, and children are most important to human beings.

As for 'making whole', what does that even mean?